Clothing Illustrations From or Inspired by the 20s to the 60s

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
My guess that this was taken in 1955.

You may be right Howard as that was the year "Rebel Without a Cause" was released.

But the illustration has so many iconic items - the movie we just referenced, a poodle skirt, the letterman sweater, the two-tone car - that it feels to me like a modern illustration intended to look like it's from the '50s.

Also, the artist's style, while I can't put my finger on why, doesn't feel original to the '50s to me. That just my guess.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
But the illustration has so many iconic items - the movie we just referenced, a poodle skirt, the letterman sweater, the two-tone car - that it feels to me like a modern illustration intended to look like it's from the '50s.

Also, the artist's style, while I can't put my finger on why, doesn't feel original to the '50s to me. That just my guess.
I agree with you. The illustration does seem like a pastiche rather than a contemporaneous work. Plus, nothing about the young lady’s hairstyle says “1955.”

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
9e8a7647ca0cec4740b73d859ad23eef.jpg

Howard

Connoisseur
When I am blessed to come upon an old classic movie in black and white on TV, I am, perhaps, oddly contented. I felt much the same way when the black and white illustration pictured above popped up. Boy, I really want to turn back the clock to the 1950's. ;)
Do you have a favorite black and white film?

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Do you have a favorite black and white film?

Not a favorite, per se, but most recently, based on member Fading Fast's
review and recommendation, Mrs Eagle and I recently watched the movie titled Possessed, starring Joan Crawford and Van Heflin. a great suspenseful drama/film, made more ominous by the black and white format. ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
When I am blessed to come upon an old classic movie in black and white on TV, I am, perhaps, oddly contented. I felt much the same way when the black and white illustration pictured above popped up. Boy, I really want to turn back the clock to the 1950's. ;)

Like you, I love black and white movies and illustrations.

Not a favorite, per se, but most recently, based on member Fading Fast's
review and recommendation, Mrs Eagle and I recently watched the movie titled Possessed, starring Joan Crawford and Van Heflin. a great suspenseful drama/film, made more ominous by the black and white format. ;)

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. It's fun for what it is.

drpeter

The lady seems to be rushing to get on board as the train starts to move. The way the steam seems to be coming out is a bit odd, unless they are very close to the locomotive engine. The rust and grey colours intersecting at an angle on the body of the coach also seems puzzling. A great action painting. Movement and anxiety are both captured very well.

Howard

Connoisseur
The lady seems to be rushing to get on board as the train starts to move. The way the steam seems to be coming out is a bit odd, unless they are very close to the locomotive engine. The rust and grey colours intersecting at an angle on the body of the coach also seems puzzling. A great action painting. Movement and anxiety are both captured very well.
Hope she caught her train on time?

Fading Fast

Connoisseur

Some of the old steam engines used to also have steam breaks, which would produce steam from "under" the train car, but I don't know (I didn't think so, but it very well could be) if they used steam breaks on the passenger cars. If so, that could account for steam coming up that way.

And yes, the rust and grey colors meet in an odd way. I initially thought it was just a shadow, but I think you are correct and it is painted that way.

Perhaps the fellow wearing the hat and holding the Trench coat hopped on board and left the little woman behind, missing the train. Boy is he ever going to pay for that oversight! LOL. It is a great illustration, with countless stories to tell. ;)

My guess, you are like me and have been hard wired to let your wife/girlfriend (or any woman) go first, so it just wouldn't happen, but if it did, the best move, at that point, would be to leave her behind and find a new wife or girlfriend when you got off. :)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I know it may seem gauche, but I'm one to drink my Coco Cola straight from the bottle...the same way I drink my Guinness Extra Stout, straight from the bottle! ;)

Nothing better than a hot day and a cold glass bottle of Coke pulled from a big metal tub filled with ice sitting out front the store: you walk inside, pay, pop the top with the store's bottle opener, walk out and drink right from the now-sweating bottle.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.