Clothing Illustrations From or Inspired by the 20s to the 60s

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
EXb_YBuWoAA5ZvR.jpeg

And since, for some reason, I didn't post one yesterday, a bonus one for today:
20216237_450_450_6947_0_fit_0_420cafd3c926188e30d3a57ec8676a38.jpg

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
What did those meals consist of, were they gourmet ones?

Since I never road on trains back in their heyday, the '20s - '60s (I was born in '64), I can only tell you what I've read, which is in the US, on the "premiere" trains, the meals were what you'd encounter in a nice upscale restaurant, but not gourmet in the true sense of the word.

To be sure, different train lines had different meals and I'd bet there were some examples of gourmet dishes served, but in general, it seems like the railroads were serving good upscale food - steak, chicken, fish, potatoes, vegetables, etc., - but not fancy gourmet food.

Howard, if you Google "train menus for the 1930s" or '40s, etc., you can get a sense of what they served. Here's one example: https://www.iridetheharlemline.com/...kets-and-menus-from-the-20th-century-limited/

drpeter

Classic. My ideal blazer has only four buttons, like this one. If there are two more, they should be in a straight line with each column (similar to Navy uniforms), not placed farther out. These are not easy to find.

I should remove the top pair of buttons from one or two of my blazers and see how that works -- I don't think the balance of the jacket would be altered in any way by this removal.

TKI67

Elite Member
Classic. My ideal blazer has only four buttons, like this one. If there are two more, they should be in a straight line with each column (similar to Navy uniforms), not placed farther out. These are not easy to find.

I should remove the top pair of buttons from one or two of my blazers and see how that works -- I don't think the balance of the jacket would be altered in any way by this removal.

My ideal blazer has three, only the middle one being useable!

I agree with your take on the DB with four. Since DBs must be worn buttoned or look slovenly, I always find that the top two being more widely spaced on a six button jacket gives the impression, even if inaccurate, of being too tight in the chest.

BTW I like the yellow sweater or vest peeking out a very nice touch, and it would not work nearly as well on a six button DB IMO.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
My ideal blazer has three, only the middle one being useable!

I agree with your take on the DB with four. Since DBs must be worn buttoned or look slovenly, I always find that the top two being more widely spaced on a six button jacket gives the impression, even if inaccurate, of being too tight in the chest.

BTW I like the yellow sweater or vest peeking out a very nice touch, and it would not work nearly as well on a six button DB IMO.

Good eye, my friend. I missed that yellow sweater entirely! ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.