Clothing Illustrations From or Inspired by the 20s to the 60s

Howard

Connoisseur
If you wear any fur coat on any urban street you need to brace yourself and be on the alert for some activist to confront you. If they happen to have a can if red paint, they may splash you with it. Fortunately, most animal rights activists do not patrol the streets with their paint cans at the ready.

Jerry-Seinfeld-Season-9-The-Reverse-Peephole-Brown-Faux-Fur-Coat-600x706.jpg

Like Jerry Seinfeld wearing a fur coat?

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
@Fading Fast @Flanderian @eagle2250

What are your thoughts of men wearing fur coats, in the context of trad clothing as recorded in classic movies and classic ads and posters? I mean the classic mink coats and the like. Other the college raccoon coat (slightly oversized, rolled up sleeve cuffs, big collar, very full-length)....is fur the exclusive province of women in classic trad clothing?

As you have encyclopedic knowledge of vintage posters and ads, have you seen any fur on men?

Many years ago in a land far, far away (AKA: Central Pennsylvania) I worked as an apprentice for a Furrier. I didn't make the garments, but he did and I'm here to tell you, I fail to understand the attraction to furs. In fact, I think their moment in time has passed. The market has faded greatly. The garments are inconveniently bulky, many offer an unpleasant hand to the touch, they are a challenge to maintain and also to store during the off season. If you want a natural hide coat, go for a smooth finished or veen a sueded leather and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Good luck in your hunt, my friend! ;)

drpeter

He's either a stand-in for Dashiell Hammett or the Continental Op -- same thing, you might say. And just in case, he has a large flat gunmetal cigarette case in his breast pocket that will definitely stop a slug.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Fur parkas make perfect sense in the Far North but in our current urbanized world, I go along with Eagle.

Back in the day, while serving at Northern tier Bases, the USAF issued us arctic parkas, fitted with what they said was wolf's fur trim around the hood of the parkas. The rest of the coats exterior was I think nylon material. We paired those coats with matching arctic pants and white Bunny Boots and stayed pretty cozy....for a short while and then we got cold and warmed ourselves by shivering! LOL. ;)

LC7

Starting Member
First post here, though I've lurked for a while. I was looking up Calvin Coolidge today and found some pics that might belong in this thread, which I was perusing earlier today. The first looks to be a painted portrait. The second, while a photo, shows a pretty trad outfit.

president-calvin-coolidge-sitting-with-newspaper.jpg
CalvinCoolidgeimmigration3.jpg

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Fur parkas make perfect sense in the Far North but in our current urbanized world, I go along with Eagle.
Sadly the coat was sold from my mother's estate when she died, but we used to have the buffalo hide coat owned by my great grandfather who homesteaded in the 1880's from Canada. I wore it once to a visit with my then 90ish year-old great aunt back in the 1970's. She said she'd never seen one, only buffalo hide lap blankets. Quite heavy and the seams were sewn with sinew.

A.L.Z.

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Many years ago in a land far, far away (AKA: Central Pennsylvania) I worked as an apprentice for a Furrier. I didn't make the garments, but he did and I'm here to tell you, I fail to understand the attraction to furs. In fact, I think their moment in time has passed. The market has faded greatly. The garments are inconveniently bulky, many offer an unpleasant hand to the touch, they are a challenge to maintain and also to store during the off season. If you want a natural hide coat, go for a smooth finished or veen a sueded leather and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Good luck in your hunt, my friend! ;)

This is one of the few men's fur coats, which I think, under the "right" circumstances, looks really nice. It's large but not bulky...it's tasteful....it looks extremely cosy and warm, very rich looking...(P.S. does anyone kno where this image originally is from, or from when?)

www.pinterest.ca.jpg

But as you say, the time for this kind of clothing may be over.

There was a recent article in the NYT about media and culture, and how it is changing. There were once "mainstream" media outlets that directed and maintained a national culture. This is no more. there are now many subcultures within a single nation, and each evolves on its own.

I live in Canada, but lived for a while in Boston in the 2000s decade. Many women wore mink coats, it looked good on them....I went out of my way often to compliment wearers who I thought looked pretty nice.

As for the men, they were all African -American, or gay. But they were members of these communities that stood out first and foremost as people who defined their identities primarily as members of their communities, if you get what I am trying to say.

I wouldn't consider Condoleezza Rice or barack Obama as African-Americans...for me, they are Americans first, and black second. I cannot imagine either in a mink coat.
I wouldn't consider Pete Boutigieg as a gay man....I consider him first an American, then a Democrat, then a South-Bender, then a married gay man....I cannot imagine him or his husband in a mink coat.

I consider a classic polo overcoat as one of the most iconic items of AMerican trad mens clothing. I can totally imagine Obama or Buttiggieg in one...in fact, pretty sure Obama often roams around in one.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
First post here, though I've lurked for a while. I was looking up Calvin Coolidge today and found some pics that might belong in this thread, which I was perusing earlier today. The first looks to be a painted portrait. The second, while a photo, shows a pretty trad outfit.

View attachment 61346 View attachment 61347
Welcome to AAAC, glad you are posting.

In the first one, I love his dress boots.

In the second pic, I wouldn't be surprised if he's wearing white flannels based on the era.

Good pics.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.