Clothing Illustrations From or Inspired by the 20s to the 60s

Flanderian

Connoisseur
⇧ You know his coat could stop a small-caliber bullet.

View attachment 61326

Exceptional Art Deco inspired illustration! 👍

First post here, though I've lurked for a while. I was looking up Calvin Coolidge today and found some pics that might belong in this thread, which I was perusing earlier today. The first looks to be a painted portrait. The second, while a photo, shows a pretty trad outfit.

View attachment 61346 View attachment 61347

Silent Cal. Looks as if someone has forced him to wear barb wire underwear and stolen his dog! ;)

This is one of the few men's fur coats, which I think, under the "right" circumstances, looks really nice. It's large but not bulky...it's tasteful....it looks extremely cosy and warm, very rich looking...(P.S. does anyone kno where this image originally is from, or from when?)

View attachment 61357

But as you say, the time for this kind of clothing may be over.

There was a recent article in the NYT about media and culture, and how it is changing. There were once "mainstream" media outlets that directed and maintained a national culture. This is no more. there are now many subcultures within a single nation, and each evolves on its own.

I live in Canada, but lived for a while in Boston in the 2000s decade. Many women wore mink coats, it looked good on them....I went out of my way often to compliment wearers who I thought looked pretty nice.

As for the men, they were all African -American, or gay. But they were members of these communities that stood out first and foremost as people who defined their identities primarily as members of their communities, if you get what I am trying to say.

I wouldn't consider Condoleezza Rice or barack Obama as African-Americans...for me, they are Americans first, and black second. I cannot imagine either in a mink coat.
I wouldn't consider Pete Boutigieg as a gay man....I consider him first an American, then a Democrat, then a South-Bender, then a married gay man....I cannot imagine him or his husband in a mink coat

I consider a classic polo overcoat as one of the most iconic items of AMerican trad mens clothing. I can totally imagine Obama or Buttiggieg in one...in fact, pretty sure Obama often roams around in one.

Very thoughtful and interesting! Thanks for offering it.

Quite continental. :beers:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Brooks Vintage-Brooks-Brothers-Ad.jpg

Flanderian

Connoisseur
⇧ Just love the classic BB suit.

View attachment 61381

Great illustration! 👍

Lounge chair seating, just like contemporary flights! :rolleyes:

Contemporary seating configurations in airliners had their ancestry in the "cattle cars" the military used to contract to move large numbers of troops by air. Lucky me, I got a window seat on the long flight to Rhine Mein. Too bad I was seated next to Moose Franson, which allowed me about 5" inches between the Moose and the cabin wall. 😭

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Great illustration! 👍

Lounge chair seating, just like contemporary flights! :rolleyes:

Contemporary seating configurations in airliners had their ancestry in the "cattle cars" the military used to contract to move large numbers of troops by air. Lucky me, I got a window seat on the long flight to Rhine Mein. Too bad I was seated next to Moose Franson, which allowed me about 5" inches between the Moose and the cabin wall. 😭

Sounds like some pretty luxurious travel arragnements to me. When the USAF sent me to Spangdahlem AFB, I sat in a web seat installed along the external walls and down the center aisle of a C-130 Hercules. Jeez Louise, the soles of my feet and my rosy red butt cheeks vibrated for two days after our arrival Good times.....I don't think so! LOL. ;)

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Sounds like some pretty luxurious travel arragnements to me. When the USAF sent me to Spangdahlem AFB, I sat in a web seat installed along the external walls and down the center aisle of a C-130 Hercules. Jeez Louise, the soles of my feet and my rosy red butt cheeks vibrated for two days after our arrival Good times.....I don't think so! LOL. ;)

Sounds like great fun! ;)

During my 4 years, the USAF had the good sense not to allow me anywhere near a military aircraft. When I got out, I was routinely asked what kind of plane I was on. Always responded that I flew an MC-88. This was the USAF designation for a manual typewriter! :icon_saint7kg:

Flanderian

Connoisseur

Great illustration of a great suit. :loveyou:

In my youth, they shared prominence with Hart, Schaffner and Marx with both making nice upper middle quality tailored clothing. The sort of thing I eventually hoped to graduate to from the Robert Hall of my boyhood. ;)

Just learned, per below, that they were a brand of the Botany 500 group, which had its origins in NJ and Philadelphia -

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Great illustration of a great suit. :loveyou:

In my youth, they shared prominence with Hart, Schaffner and Marx with both making nice upper middle quality tailored clothing. The sort of thing I eventually hoped to graduate to from the Robert Hall of my boyhood. ;)

Just learned, per below, that they were a brand of the Botany 500 group, which had its origins in NJ and Philadelphia -

As a kid, my mom would take me to Robert Hall about once a year to get a navy blazer and pair of grey dress trousers (bought a bit too big for me to "grow into" and then, at the end, worn too tight for a bit) for the few "dress up"events (a family wedding, funeral, or maybe a birthday dinner out) we'd have each year. She had no idea at all about men's clothes, but someone must of told her to get a navy blazer and grey trousers as she did that for me religiously.

I would wear this outfit (but with a leather belt) today in a situation that called for it.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
How it happened, I'll never know but every place the Army sent me in my 29 years, I flew commercial except one flight to Oahu. Flying sitting backward facing in a Starlifter was roomier and more comfortable than any coach seat I ever sat in. The one to and from Maui was miserable.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
As a kid, my mom would take me to Robert Hall about once a year to get a navy blazer and pair of grey dress trousers (bought a bit too big for me to "grow into" and then, at the end, worn too tight for a bit) for the few "dress up"events (a family wedding, funeral, or maybe a birthday dinner out) we'd have each year. She had no idea at all about men's clothes, but someone must of told her to get a navy blazer and grey trousers as she did that for me religiously.

For me it was one suit a year, which I got to wear each Sunday to church, along with all the other kids. Like yours, my mother had little sense of sartorial style, but a great belief in propriety. I.e., clothes that were clean, well mended and appropriate to the occasion.

And like your mother, my clothing was always purchased too large, so I could grow into it, and since I was a big kid I had two types of clothing; clothing that was too large, and clothing that was worn out! :icon_cheers: I have no doubt that these experiences lie somewhere at the root of my sartorial obsessions. But I am grateful for her care, as among my contemporaries were many who did not receive the same.

I would wear this outfit (but with a leather belt) today in a situation that called for it.

Clever economy in this add using only one color of ink to great effect.

drpeter

That is a great looking suit, but personally I'm still looking for the airline that offers all that legroom and room to move around in. It just doesn't exist...never has and never will! :(;)
Actually such an airline did exist, my friend!

In the 1980s and 1990s, up here in Wisconsin, we had the Milwaukee-based Midwest Express airlines which had first-class style seats throughout. Wide, comfortable, plenty of legroom and two abreast. They also served excellent cold food -- things like fruit, cheese, cold cuts, bread and a very nice shrimp cocktail. Real china and glass and proper cutlery. This airline, unfortunately, went out of business. A crying shame, if you ask me.

FiscalDean

Actually such an airline did exist, my friend!

In the 1980s and 1990s, up here in Wisconsin, we had the Milwaukee-based Midwest Express airlines which had first-class style seats throughout. Wide, comfortable, plenty of legroom and two abreast. They also served excellent cold food -- things like fruit, cheese, cold cuts, bread and a very nice shrimp cocktail. Real china and glass and proper cutlery. This airline, unfortunately, went out of business. A crying shame, if you ask me.
Actually, Midwest Express was originally operated as a department of Kimberly Clark shuttling executives back and forth between Neenah, WI and Atlanta. Eventually, someone thought others who fly regularly might appreciate their service and it was spun off.

They served a choice of two hot meals, usually one beef and one a poultry or seafood dish. In addition to the meal, they also offered unlimited wine, cocktails and post prandial beverages. Most flights also featured chocolate cookies right out of the oven!

The airline was eventually acquired by Pacific Airways Holdings, I believe it was around 2010.

drpeter

Yes, I am familiar with the airlines' origins with Kimberly Clark. I have also heard that the airlines went into decline after the events of 9/11. And I do remember the warm chocolate chip cookies!

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Actually, Midwest Express was originally operated as a department of Kimberly Clark shuttling executives back and forth between Neenah, WI and Atlanta. Eventually, someone thought others who fly regularly might appreciate their service and it was spun off.

They served a choice of two hot meals, usually one beef and one a poultry or seafood dish. In addition to the meal, they also offered unlimited wine, cocktails and post prandial beverages. Most flights also featured chocolate cookies right out of the oven!

The airline was eventually acquired by Pacific Airways Holdings, I believe it was around 2010.

That's a neat-as-heck story. I love origin stories like that where you find out how some quirky thing came into being. Plus, you had me at the warm cookies.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.