Flanderian

Connoisseur
“An Oxford man!” He was incredulous. “Like hell he is! He wears a pinksuit.”

Tom Buchanan discussing Jay Gatsby.

- The Great Gatsby

MIMIW-WINK2.gif

drpeter

What kind of drink is he consuming?
Judging by the bottle next to the tray of glasses and the ice bucket, it's probably bourbon.
Four Roses is a bourbon that does not seem to be widely popular in our country. The first time I saw a bottle was, interestingly enough, in Amsterdam, and not in the US, the birthplace of bourbon whisky.

Flanderian

Connoisseur

Handsome suit well put together! 👍

Judging by the bottle next to the tray of glasses and the ice bucket, it's probably bourbon.
Four Roses is a bourbon that does not seem to be widely popular in our country. The first time I saw a bottle was, interestingly enough, in Amsterdam, and not in the US, the birthplace of bourbon whisky.

In my youth, the cheap stuff, widely available and favored by those who might regularly consume its ilk for breakfast.

The jacket on the left, with the pleated and belted back most appeals to my taste id jacket designs. ;)

Me to.

drpeter

There's a suit I would love to have, especially if it is a dove grey in cotton/poplin. I like the three button front, but I'd dispense with the breast pocket flap. And perhaps add a 1-3/4" cuff for the trousers. It would be a perfect summer suit.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
There's a suit I would love to have, especially if it is a dove grey in cotton/poplin. I like the three button front, but I'd dispense with the breast pocket flap. And perhaps add a 1-3/4" cuff for the trousers. It would be a perfect summer suit.
I'm with you. In the '90s, I had a cotton (I think blended with wool, but the cotton dominated) dove grey suit. It was a wonderful summer suit. Dove grey, done right, was never easy to find, which is why I never replaced it and now, of course, I imagine, unless custom, it would be impossible.

I also owned a Haspel poplin grey, but that was more of a medium grey color. Also a wonderful summer suit as it was light and comfortable but took a pretty good beating and was inexpensive.

I miss the time when suits were a big part of menswear so you'd find a large selection of them everywhere with some quirky ones, like a cotton-wool dove-grey summer suit, mixed into this or that store's offering. The suit was the backbone of a man's wardrobe and menswear stores responded accordingly.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
I'm with you. In the '90s, I had a cotton (I think blended with wool, but the cotton dominated) dove grey suit. It was a wonderful summer suit. Dove grey, done right, was never easy to find, which is why I never replaced it and now, of course, I imagine, unless custom, it would be impossible.

I also owned a Haspel poplin grey, but that was more of a medium grey color. Also a wonderful summer suit as it was light and comfortable but took a pretty good beating and was inexpensive.

I miss the time when suits were a big part of menswear so you'd find a large selection of them everywhere with some quirky ones, like a cotton-wool dove-grey summer suit, mixed into this or that store's offering. The suit was the backbone of a man's wardrobe and menswear stores responded accordingly.
It is both rare and memorable. I had a dove grey linen 3/2 sack from Brooks Brothers in the 1970s.

Flanderian

Connoisseur

Very nice! 👍

And remarkable in several ways First, it's a good example of how a skilled sartorialist can put together an ensemble in a variety of modes and look darn good by knowing what they're doing. Excellent fit and proportion, this outfit could be worn well by men of a variety of physiques.

Secondly, if you told me this came from the '20's, I'd believe you. But If you instead told me it came from the late '50's, I'd also believe you. Fashion was surprisingly similar in many regards in each.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange