Clothing Illustrations From or Inspired by the 20s to the 60s

Fading Fast

Connoisseur

Having grown up in NJ (although, I attended the not-Ivy, quite-pedestrian Rutgers University), I was in that store in the '80s. What can't come through in the ads - or the ads for J.Press, which also felt as I will describe - is the vibe or atmosphere of these stores.

Today, almost all men's clothing stores feel "salesy," with some very high-end ones feeling aloof or snooty. But these traditional Ivy stores felt neither - they felt more like an old comfortable men's club that had decided to run a clothing store on the side.

I've never been a member of an old men's club, but for business and as a guest of friends, I have been in many of them. Almost all of them project a similar aura: old money, old-school, traditional values, a bit worn at the edges (almost saying: "we could afford to spruce up, but why?") and a familiarity between customers and staff that comes from not only long-time relationships, but generational relationships ("I fit your dad in his first suit"). Even the air smelled different - like old wool or something.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
3912531398_010aecff35_b.jpg

Not so sure about the suit on the guy at the counter, might have been better had the fabric been turned into a sport coat.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Having grown up in NJ (although, I attended the not-Ivy, quite-pedestrian Rutgers University), I was in that store in the '80s. What can't come through in the ads - or the ads for J.Press, which also felt as I will describe - is the vibe or atmosphere of these stores.

Today, almost all men's clothing stores feel "salesy," with some very high-end ones feeling aloof or snooty. But these traditional Ivy stores felt neither - they felt more like an old comfortable men's club that had decided to run a clothing store on the side.

I've never been a member of an old men's club, but for business and as a guest of friends, I have been in many of them. Almost all of them project a similar aura: old money, old-school, traditional values, a bit worn at the edges (almost saying: "we could afford to spruce up, but why?") and a familiarity between customers and staff that comes from not only long-time relationships, but generational relationships ("I fit your dad in his first suit"). Even the air smelled different - like old wool or something.

What a wonderful, accurate and evocative description. You've captured it perfectly!

(no idea if it's from the '50, but) Love the bold herringbone, collar bar & knit tie:
View attachment 26984

Great illustration, and great outfit.

I think it must be between '55-'65. Only thing that fits all the style elements.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Does Medicare count? :(

I'll join that one, if 65 is the number, in eleven years - the only club that would have me and that's only because there's no approval process, other than just don't die beforehand.

Thank you for your comments in the other above post.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Into the mix. When Trad was fashion, and I was young. Note the fancy vest on gent in background, and sportshirt with tie on main subject. -

upload_2018-12-20_15-32-49.png

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
⇧ Maybe it's because of his recent passing, but the model has a real echo of George Bush Senior, not only in his features, but in the way he holds his, somewhat, lanky body. And, yes, awesome natural shoulder.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Can't get much more '50s Ivy than the gray flannel suit, but not in love with the illustration (Apparel Arts has ruined me for lesser illustrators) and the more modern pic on the left looks terrible:
3079b65bee8822ec0de8e38db3c88ae5-2.jpg

Love the cover of the novel that nailed the tagline:
91eecb0ee36c347f2cf840bd2912acbc--flannel-suit-the-gray.jpg

It's a good read and was made into a good movie, with a man who could really wear a grey flannel suit.
9c06f4f87be0c399ed252750ad0713ef.jpg

August West

I am loving this thread! Keep 'em coming if you can. You guys must have a google gold account or something; way better ivy content than I ever run across.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
⇧ Maybe it's because of his recent passing, but the model has a real echo of George Bush Senior, not only in his features, but in the way he holds his, somewhat, lanky body. And, yes, awesome natural shoulder.

I'd always read that President Bush was a Southwick man. And at one time Southwick did make one of the nicest shoulders around. I've got Paul Stuart catalogs from the time when Ivy was still their lodestone, and in photos including both the Southwick that used to be represented about as much as the private label Sammy's they sell, the Southwick's shoulders always looked a bit sweeter than the Sammy's.

Can't get much more '50s Ivy than the gray flannel suit, but not in love with the illustration (Apparel Arts has ruined me for lesser illustrators) and the more modern pic on the left looks terrible:
View attachment 27040

Love the cover of the novel that nailed the tagline:
View attachment 27041
It's a good read and was made into a good movie, with a man who could really wear a grey flannel suit.
View attachment 27042

I'm OK with the illustration, less so with the replica goods I think they're advertising. And I suspect there'd be some push-back on whether the shoulders illustrated and photographed are actually natural shoulders. But that which Peck is wearing is certainly sweet tailoring, irrespective.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange