Clothing Illustrations From or Inspired by the 20s to the 60s

Flanderian

Connoisseur
A lot of ground to cover in "Clothing Illustrations From or Inspired by the 20s to the 60s."

Here's one that I like very well. I usually snicker at designer labeled clothing as typically being unappealing for a number of reasons which can be summarized as not looking very good, and being priced for people who like to buy names rather than clothes. But I like this very well for what it is, and what is is a faithful interpretation of the aesthetic of 1930's - '40's Italian bespoke.

Valentino, from a much maligned era including this example from '82.

Valentino'82.jpg

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Recreation of vintage cloth by Fox Brothers. Over-size glen check in fox brown and ecru made of very special 100% Merino made as 25 ounce coating. Here made into a Balmacaan collared, Raglan shouldered, belted overcoat. (Yes. too busy with shirt and tie, so wear it with something simpler! :icon_saint7kg:)

FoxBalmacanGlenCheck.jpg

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
A lot of ground to cover in "Clothing Illustrations From or Inspired by the 20s to the 60s."

Here's one that I like very well. I usually snicker at designer labeled clothing as typically being unappealing for a number of reasons which can be summarized as not looking very good, and being priced for people who like to buy names rather than clothes. But I like this very well for what it is, and what is is a faithful interpretation of the aesthetic of 1930's - '40's Italian bespoke.

View attachment 63844

I can only say I like the three piece suit, but I would love to call that overcoat my very own! I can't help but wonder why he is holding, rather than wearing his hat? ;)

drpeter

Recreation of vintage cloth by Fox Brothers. Over-size glen check in fox brown and ecru made of very special 100% Merino made as 25 ounce coating. Here made into a Balmacaan collared, Ragland shouldered, belted overcoat. (Yes. too busy with shirt and tie, so wear it with something simpler! :icon_saint7kg:)

View attachment 63847
I got this from Fox in my email this morning! Very nice cloth, and a lovely overcoat.

Flanderian

Connoisseur

View attachment 63844

Going indoors, had to remove his cover! ;)

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I got this from Fox in my email this morning! Very nice cloth, and a lovely overcoat.

Me too, and I agree.

I enjoy mixing patterns, and while this isn't awful, my problem is solely with the scale of the stripe. I'm fine with the tie.

Change that Bengal stripe to a closely spaced hairline, and it would bring harmony to the universe! :icon_saint7kg:

Pity there's such a dearth of colors and patterns among RTW shirtings anymore. The hairline stripe is one of the nicest and most versatile. Reads as a solid from more than a few feet away, while still bringing a lot more interest to other patterns than a solid would.

Also miss the once common end-on-end weave broadcloths.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Recreation of vintage cloth by Fox Brothers. Over-size glen check in fox brown and ecru made of very special 100% Merino made as 25 ounce coating. Here made into a Balmacaan collared, Raglan shouldered, belted overcoat. (Yes. too busy with shirt and tie, so wear it with something simpler! :icon_saint7kg:)

View attachment 63847

View attachment 63844

A couple of pretty impressive overcoats above. The glen check is a cool "statement" coat, not a coat for me personally, but I love seeing it. The other one, the pale grey bold herringbone slung over the guy's arm is what I'm all about (if I hadn't banned myself from buying overcoats for myself for at least the next five years).

drpeter

A couple of pretty impressive overcoats above. The glen check is a cool "statement" coat, not a coat for me personally, but I love seeing it. The other one, the pale grey bold herringbone slung over the guy's arm is what I'm all about (if I hadn't banned myself from buying overcoats for myself for at least the next five years).
Agreed. As a man with a smaller build (5'-7", 155 lbs) a large check like the one in the overcoat would make me disappear completely, LOL. But if a bigger man wears it, I also agree with Flanderian that its boldness should be offset by very plain, quiet shirting and a discreet, monochrome tie, say, a grenadine of darker hue. As it is, the ensemble in the picture is far too noisy and makes the human being seem disordered. And do look at his expression -- he is most certainly looking glum.

drpeter

I think they are looking at a momentous event in human history. The aliens from Alpha Centauri are finally landing in full view, thereby putting to rest any lingering doubts about the existence of other intelligent life forms in the universe. And they are dressed by HS&M! The humans, that is, not the aliens. Now that's really cool.

Last edited:

Flanderian

Connoisseur

Ah, ya' know ya' want it! :icon_saint7kg:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Agreed. As a man with a smaller build (5'-7", 155 lbs) a large check like the one in the overcoat would make me disappear completely, LOL. But if a bigger man wears it, I also agree with Flanderian that its boldness should be offset by very plain, quiet shirting and a discreet, monochrome tie, say, a grenadine of darker hue. As it is, the ensemble in the picture is far too noisy and makes the human being seem disordered. And do look at his expression -- he is most certainly looking glum.

I'm sure you're correct and know what suits you best, but it's worth noting that oversized patterns of this sort were first popularized by the then Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII and subsequently Duke of Windsor, a man of similar proportion.

drpeter

I'm sure you're correct and know what suits you best, but it's worth noting that oversized patterns of this sort were first popularized by the then Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII and subsequently Duke of Windsor, a man of similar proportion.
Indeed, I know that well, and I also know that he was especially adept at combining multiple patterns. However, LOL, there aren't many of us in this world with the sartorial skills and acumen of the late Duke (and erstwhile King Edward VIII).

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange