Clothing Illustrations From or Inspired by the 20s to the 60s

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
5db90d827d73f22de709576b4376c8ba.jpg

Cool kicks.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
As we know, Ivy originated in the Ivy League colleges which is why illustrations and movies about colleges from that era are a great source of information about Ivy-style clothes:
10d3fe8e9ec36146b7b2ff08e30a8846.jpg

Love the sweater on the guy on the left. Do you think those are grey flannels or grey chinos (which I don't think were common at all then) he's also wearing?

And, note the square-bottom (I assume) knit tie on the kid on the right.

Last thought - a cake, not an easy thing to ship; mom, how 'bout cookies next time?

Flanderian

Connoisseur
As we know, Ivy originated in the Ivy League colleges which is why illustrations and movies about colleges from that era are a great source of information about Ivy-style clothes:
View attachment 27192
Love the sweater on the guy on the left. Do you think those are grey flannels or grey chinos (which I don't think were common at all then) he's also wearing?

And, note the square-bottom (I assume) knit tie on the kid on the right.

Last thought - a cake, not an easy thing to ship; mom, how 'bout cookies next time?

Great illustration!

Grey chinos? Hmm . . . :icon_scratch:

Remember Rooster Ties?

Their solid knit versions were ubiquitous!

images

And then we had their Ruffler line! :cool:

il_340x270.874071616_sxgp.jpg

s-l300.jpg

If I didn't have the red one in the center, I had one very similar. And I remember a large scale Batik print in earth tones of which I was very fond.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
⇧ Had several Rooster ties myself.

The guy checking his watch and the teller would look perfectly fine (sans the hat for the watch guy) dressed that way today:
ca4d4e5565e030b1287b2e02b2429fcb.jpg

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Two small things of note here - the high rise of his chinos and his saddle shoes:
f0ff3838188e5d4ee855a82a51dce269.jpg

Oh, one more thing, her (to scale) 10" waist.

gamma68

Honors Member
Great illustration!

Grey chinos? Hmm . . . :icon_scratch:

Remember Rooster Ties?

Their solid knit versions were ubiquitous!

images

And then we had their Ruffler line! :cool:

il_340x270.874071616_sxgp.jpg

s-l300.jpg

If I didn't have the red one in the center, I had one very similar. And I remember a large scale Batik print in earth tones of which I was very fond.

A bit of a thread sidetrack, but I have several vintage knit Rooster ties. I’m awaiting a suitable occasion to wear this wonderful example:
19DD3E09-C60D-4163-AAB3-B58A026D86F5.jpeg
5A5526CA-79A5-435E-AC32-8FD01192D5B9.jpeg
BBE07334-19B9-4607-8685-8CDD31DA2D47.jpeg

Flanderian

Connoisseur
A bit of a thread sidetrack, but I have several vintage knit Rooster ties. I’m awaiting a suitable occasion to wear this wonderful example:
View attachment 27268 View attachment 27269 View attachment 27270

Cool!

These ties were a deliberate counterpoint to the sedate neckwear of the era. Intended largely for a younger clientele as something fun. I wore mine with less formal outfits. Worked well with summer cotton poplin suits, and some flannel blazers.

Once actually had a black flannel blazer cut and finished very casually. More useful than might be thought. And a colorful Ruffler tie on a more casual outing could be entertaining.

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Fun just 'cause it's a men's haberdashery:
71d8032365f30c778bf9227cfcf73364.jpg

For obviously reasons, we tend to focus on the great haberdasheries of the period, but even into the early '80s (when I became aware of Ivy), there were plenty of small, no-real-name places like this still hanging on.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange