Men's Clothing Forums banner

Clothing Illustrations From or Inspired by the 20s to the 60s

385K views 5K replies 79 participants last post by  Oviatt 
#1 · (Edited)
I stumbled across this illustration - a Coke ad from 1957 - and thought it would be neat to attempt to get a thread going on illustrations of Ivy clothes (kinda like what Flanderian is doing with Vintage Esquire illustrations over on the other side of the house).

And, if not, this one with its OCBD, ski and V-neck sweaters, khakis, argyle socks and Weejuns is fun just by itself. Also, clearly, Coke wanted to position itself as cool, so this is more evidence that the cool kids of the '50s were dressing in Ivy.

Many years ago, I dated a blonde who said a black turtleneck is a blonde's best friend - no argument from me.

Art Food Cuisine Cooking Sharing

See less See more
#3,140 ·
Mrs Eagle just reminded me of the "wallpaper shirts" I used to wear in the early 1970's (1972 and beyond!);They were long sleeved buttoned sport shirts with fabric patterns composed of stripes of diminutive versions of flowers and other vegetation. I can't remember what they were called, but SWMBO really liked seeing me wear those shirts and a pair of soft brown leather earth shoes, that were completely out of character for me. :(

#3,153 ·
Is that an old Smith Corona manual typewriter he is pounding away on? If so, I had one very similar to it back in high school and in my early college years. Mine was a light blue typewriter that locked into a dark grey, lockable case. I hammered out a lot of term papers on that old classic! My wife tells me we still have that old relic hidden away somewhere in our present day hoard. She is a wise lady and I wouldn't want to bet against her. LOL. ;)

#3,169 ·
I know it is not the best thing for you but, after my diabetes diagnosis, I use half sugar and half Splenda in my hot Indian tea each morning, which I used to make with milk and sugar. It is the only sugared (or Splenda'd) drink I consume. Other than tea, I will have mineral water, or just plain tap water. I dislike all of the sodas, and stopped drinking alcohol a long time ago. I rarely consume lemonade, except once in a while in the summer, and I actually prefer it with a little salt!

#3,170 ·
I have replaced all the sugar in my diet with a product called Swerve. It's actually very good and replaces granulated, confectioners' and brown sugars well enough that I can't tell a difference. Agave syrup does a good job in coffee. I'll bet it would work just as well in tea.

#3,179 ·
The little diagram at bottom right shows how "bladed" this suit jacket is, with exaggerated shoulders tapering down to a narrow waist. Personally, I haven't much cared for shoulders that are wide, I would rather have them correspond closely to my natural shoulder. That said, I do have some jackets, especially double-breasted ones, that have wide shoulders.

#3,181 ·
I'm guessing that the flash camera belongs to the guy leaning against the wall and wearing a fedora, a news reporter hoping for a story; the lady with the steno-pad si an executive secretary, being questioned about her boss, lying dead in a far corner of that well lit room; the well dressed gentleman wiping his brow is thinking "this wench is intellectually the 'alpha' participant in this interrogation' and the uniformed officer is standing there thinking...."jeez Louise, my feet are killing me!" The wheels of justice do turn Oh-so-slowly and there are a million stories in the "naked illustration/city." These incredible illustrations have so much to tell us. ;)

#3,182 · (Edited)
Maybe you know this already Eagle, (and I think I wrote about it some time ago) but pictures like this one look surprisingly similar to the set of pictures used in the personality test known as the Thematic Apperception Test, or TAT. The art work is definitely from the 1920s-50s.

In the TAT, the client is asked by the psychologist to construct a story based on the picture shown to them on a page-sized card. The psychologist then scores the story using a form of content analysis. So, what you have done is beautiful -- it is your response to the picture, and it is a great story. For a psychologist, it's also a window into your complex mind, but we won't go there, LOL. We'll just be lone figures walking the mean streets, searching for the truth.

By the way, you'll like our next selection for my film discussion Zoom class for seniors at the university: Roman Polanski's Chinatown, a brilliant work that is also a colour noir film! Nicholson and Dunawaye are perfectly cast and turn in terrific performances, but John Huston as Noah Cross is amazing -- a director who can also act -- rather like Orson Welles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.