Woofa

Caught the movie this past weekend in PPV and thought there might be some discussion here about the clothing. Beautifully made movie with great sets and scenery. Train looked amazing and I know many of us would love a ride in that bygone era.
In particular interested in your thoughts on some of the suits worn by Kenneth Branagh and Johnny Depp.

Searching_Best_Fit

One thing came to mind was how Johnny Depp wears his tie in the beginning of the film where he wears the tire like an ascot and use tie clasp to fix it to his shirt. I do not know whether it was the result of laziness or was intentionally done.

Woofa

I noticed that also and figured someone here Would explain. I also liked the detachable collar Branagh wears in the scene he explains the murder.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
One thing came to mind was how Johnny Depp wears his tie in the beginning of the film where he wears the tire like an ascot and use tie clasp to fix it to his shirt. I do not know whether it was the result of laziness or was intentionally done.
I saw the movie, and thought that particular detail was used to show exactly what an ill-bred gangster/murderer Depp's character was, to think that was a proper way to wear a tie. (I remember that particular detail being in some vogue in the early 1970's - it didn't look good then, either.)

On the other hand, I lusted after virtually every suit Kenneth Branagh wore in the movie. As a movie, it didn't really work, but the costuming and sets were spectacular.

Searching_Best_Fit

I saw the movie, and thought that particular detail was used to show exactly what an ill-bred gangster/murderer Depp's character was, to think that was a proper way to wear a tie. (I remember that particular detail being in some vogue in the early 1970's - it didn't look good then, either.)
That is a perfectly good explanation. Thank you for that.

I think that is also related to how the character Poirot keeps on asking people to straighten their ties (one in Jerusalem and another one in Brod), while his tie is somewhat skewed.

Miket61

Advanced Member
My question about the costumes is whether there would have been anything about Willem Dafoe's outfits that revealed him not to be a racist Austrian scientist.

I watched this on a plane a couple weeks ago, so I lost the big-screen experience that Branagh deliberately foisted on what's basically a drawing-room murder mystery

mlstein

If you're into suits from the period (and women's clothing as well) you should check out the costuming in Babylon Berlin. Great show, too, though convoluted as all hell.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.