Cold Weather Gear

OH-CPA

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I love football, and go to several games a year. The problem is during November December and January one can become quite cold while tailgating/sitting at a game. My current cold weather (high temp in the low 30s) gear consist of the following:

Fox River OTC Sock Liner ()

Fox River OTC Gibraltar Frontier ()

Shearling Bean Boots (https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43351?page=mens-bean-boots-by-llbean-10-shearling-lined)

Barbour Northumbia () with warm pile lining ()

Barbour Tyne Zip Neck Sweater ()

Filson Insulated Packer Hat () or Government Issue U.S. Navy Watch Cap.

Patagonia Balaclava (https://www.patagonia.com/us/product/capilene-4-expedition-weight-balaclava?p=28690-0-054)

Fox River Glomitt ()

J. Press Schoolboy Scarve

Random Sport Shirt

Levis 501

Heavy weight thermals made of some synthetic material picked up at TJ Maxx

This year, I am looking to improve the two weakest points, the random Sport Shirt and the Levis 501. The sport shirt will be upgraded to the Filson Original Wool Shirt () for which production has just recently been returned to the USA. The 501s, are a great choice for a cool weather game. They are cheap, densely woven to cut down the wind, machine washable, and can be worn in casual social situations. But when the weather turns cold it’s obvious that they are made of cotton and not wool. As such I am looking for some heavy wool pants. I looked at the Filson Mackinaw Field pants, and they would definitely keep you warm. However, the styling is a little too rugged for me to wear on any other occasion. Ideally I would like to find a pair of wool pants thick enough to provide warmth, tightly woven to stop the wind, and dressy enough to wear with a tweed sport coat. I imagine that in the days of old when offices were kept at lower temperatures than they are now, there had to be a much thicker style of wool trousers that would be almost useless in today’s overheated offices.

Any suggestions of specific pants, or types of fabric would be greatly appreciated.

hardline_42

Honors Member
I love football, and go to several games a year. The problem is during November December and January one can become quite cold while tailgating/sitting at a game. My current cold weather (high temp in the low 30s) gear consist of the following:

Fox River OTC Sock Liner ()

Fox River OTC Gibraltar Frontier ()

Shearling Bean Boots (https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43351?page=mens-bean-boots-by-llbean-10-shearling-lined)

Barbour Northumbia () with warm pile lining ()

Barbour Tyne Zip Neck Sweater ()

Filson Insulated Packer Hat () or Government Issue U.S. Navy Watch Cap.

Patagonia Balaclava (https://www.patagonia.com/us/product/capilene-4-expedition-weight-balaclava?p=28690-0-054)

Fox River Glomitt ()

J. Press Schoolboy Scarve

Random Sport Shirt

Levis 501

Heavy weight thermals made of some synthetic material picked up at TJ Maxx

This year, I am looking to improve the two weakest points, the random Sport Shirt and the Levis 501. The sport shirt will be upgraded to the Filson Original Wool Shirt () for which production has just recently been returned to the USA. The 501s, are a great choice for a cool weather game. They are cheap, densely woven to cut down the wind, machine washable, and can be worn in casual social situations. But when the weather turns cold it’s obvious that they are made of cotton and not wool. As such I am looking for some heavy wool pants. I looked at the Filson Mackinaw Field pants, and they would definitely keep you warm. However, the styling is a little too rugged for me to wear on any other occasion. Ideally I would like to find a pair of wool pants thick enough to provide warmth, tightly woven to stop the wind, and dressy enough to wear with a tweed sport coat. I imagine that in the days of old when offices were kept at lower temperatures than they are now, there had to be a much thicker style of wool trousers that would be almost useless in today’s overheated offices.

Any suggestions of specific pants, or types of fabric would be greatly appreciated.

You can try wool whipcord pants. I know Filson makes a pair of those. If you're open to non-wool options, flannel lined khakis work well also. Filson has a lined dry tin cloth pant that could fit the bill. Or, the answer could be as simple as wearing a base layer under your 501s.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange