College Trad: advice to young men, from another young man.

GBR

Here endeth the lesson?

An interesting perspective for some to think about however the key point you make at the beginning - "there are NO concrete rules to clothing. Fashion is subjective ".

Many need to think about and heed that.

hobscrk777

Mind if I give this a try?

Yes, I know that the lighting is terrible in the picture below. The pants are white.
3mXL8.jpg

JakeLA

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
As do I. But not the pre-whiskered part, with jeans period. Not one person that I \ever noticed, including myself, wore blue jeans in school and school for me was in NYC '62-'66. Unlike Jovan tho, I kinda like jeans, now, but if you're trying for that Take Ivy thing consider skipping the blue ones. At my school the kids left them down on the farm, but that's just an expression because nobody at my school knew what a farm was.
Aren't there guys in jeans in Take Ivy?

hookem12387

Elite Member
I'm of a similar age (well, slightly older, but still in a school environment), but I've just gone with posting in the WAYWT thread. This is a good thread, as well, though. Maybe I'll go back and forth a bit

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
... if you're trying for that Take Ivy thing consider skipping the blue ones. At my school the kids left them down on the farm, but that's just an expression because nobody at my school knew what a farm was.

Aren't there guys in jeans in Take Ivy?

I don't know because I've never seen Take Ivy (and don't understand the title) and the reason I haven't is that I was 18 in '63, lived in the north east and went to a private school so I sorta was Take Ivy and we didn't wear blue jeans and I didn't know anybody who did. But I like them, now.

inq89

I also have the Bean rubber mocs, but no matter how I adjust the laces I can't get a tight fit...I wonder how yours fit you.

I haven't noticed them slipping. They fit well for me.

Mind if I give this a try?

I would wear a darker pair of boat shoes/loafers to contrast the white pants. Nevertheless looks good and summer preppy.

I'm of a similar age (well, slightly older, but still in a school environment), but I've just gone with posting in the WAYWT thread. This is a good thread, as well, though. Maybe I'll go back and forth a bit

I saw some of your pics in WAYWT, looks good mate.

This thread is open to any young people to add in their own pics and advice, at the discretion of the more seasoned folks :biggrin:

Cardinals5

Honors Member
I don't know because I've never seen Take Ivy (and don't understand the title) and the reason I haven't is that I was 18 in '63, lived in the north east and went to a private school so I sorta was Take Ivy and we didn't wear blue jeans and I didn't know anybody who did. But I like them, now.

You've got Take Ivy "street cred" :icon_viking: - soon you'll have the neighborhood kids knocking on your door to and adopting your style. As for the "Take Ivy" title, it's presumably the author not very subtle reference to Brubeck's Take Five.

mjo_1

I'll play along. Here's what I wore to class today:
IMG_0884.jpg

Press OCBD w/ flap (my new favorite)
J Crew classic fit khakis
Leatherman signal flag belt
Sperrys

There are some very good looks here! inq89, your party wear looks like something I'd wear, except I might go with Red Wing 1155s. I really like the blueish duck heads as well....a good change from standard khaki.

Best,

Michael

Last edited:

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
You've got Take Ivy "street cred" :icon_viking: - soon you'll have the neighborhood kids knocking on your door to and adopting your style.

Yeah. That'll happen. Right after I yell at them to get the hell off my lawn.

The kid who started this thread seems to be suggesting how to dress like I did when I was his age and for a price, by thrifting, that I paid when new. And that's interesting and I think he's doing it well and fairly accurately. However there were many of us Take Ivy types who didn't realize we were Take Ivy back when Take Ivy was actually happening and couldn't wait for the 1970s to happen on a hunch that someone might then invent a polyester 'n pimp heaven so we could break loose from the tweed 'n madras hell we were living in. Or something like that.

But then in butts Ralph Lauren, who in the late 60s realized America was headed for a sartorial cliff and decided to become the anchor not just for the status quo, but to reach back even before Take Ivy to probably what he thought was the 20s and 30s and design a line of apparel which he could spit out with very little change for the rest of his and my life. And thank god for that. I've been with him since '81. Sort of Take Polo. Meanwhile I Left Ivy.

Larsd4

I'll play along. Here's what I wore to class today:
IMG_0884.jpg

Press OCBD w/ flap (my new favorite)
J Crew classic fit khakis
Leatherman signal flag belt
Sperrys

There are some very good looks here! inq89, your party wear looks like something I'd wear, except I might go with Red Wing 1155s. I really like the blueish duck heads as well....a good change from standard khaki.

Best,

Michael

This looks great to me. A few minor tweaks: I'd skip the Topsiders and go with penny loafers or tassel loafers in cordovan. Otherwise, I'd wear the shirt and pants slightly rumpled with the Topsiders to dress it all down. Pressed shirt and chinos and old Topsiders look disparate to me. Also, cuff the pants if they're not (can't tell). They also look a half inch too long. I live in this combo. Watchband could be brighter if I really am looking hard. Overall a solid look. I love the Kennedy rolls on the sleeves.

mjo_1

^Thanks, and you make some good points. I have this strange need to iron everything, but maybe I should try going without. One thing is for sure - that Press shirt has spoiled me. The fabric is heavy yet soft all at once and seems to have a better fit than most I've tried. I can envision the old bank account taking a fall when the next 25% off sale comes along!

Jovan

Honors Member
Well, I personally think everything looks fine pressed, but that's just me. I think one can go either way. The Ivy students in the '50s wore pressed chinos, if AP's thread is any indication.

Last edited:

hookem12387

Elite Member
This thread has me thinking I may get the rubber mocs before proper bean boots. They look great, and it doesn't get all that cold down here. hrmmm

absent_prof

Oh yeah, very nice. Personally I prefer to wear lighter shoes (light brown, sand, cognac, etc) but you pull off the outfit very well. Do you usually roll your sleeves up?

Also, in your other pic you said "business casual" but you're wearing boat shoes. I've never worked in a business casual environment so I'm surprised that boat shoes are actually acceptable??

Hey, ripped jeans and thongs are acceptable in business casual in Europe and Australia. Many Australians who go to the US are quite amazed as they have never seen a jacket worn at an office before full stop.

weezerdog

Starting Member
I am a few years removed from college but I easily fall in with the younger traddies on this board. I enjoyed digging this thread up and reading everyone's opinions.

Although I am young I identify strongly with the principals espoused by the more seasoned members of the board and within the last year or two I have gradually ascended into full traddom (jeans only a couple times a year, chinos all over the place, etc. etc.). My wife is decidedly less tradly than me (I am working on converting her) and thus is not as enthusiastic about my style of dress as I am. In fact, just last weekend she said I "looked like my dad." I know better than to let the opinions of those with different taste sway my own, but I wonder if there is some validity to the idea. There is a fine line between looking like a studly young trad and looking like an old man. I think this line is even finer when one is in his twenties.

My question then becomes: In what ways can a younger man remain true to the trad principles while retaining his youthful appearance? Maintaining an athletic physique, well tailored/sized clothing, etc. etc. all of course apply here but what other measures can a man take?

Valkyrie

I am on the older side of this demographic and I understand that times do change, but I have been wearing the same kinds of clothes my whole adult life, from the time I had my first job that required something more than jeans, some 40 years ago. One of the glories of "the look" we embrace is that things last and the styles endure. For me, ties that I bought in 1976 at BB can still be worn today without drawing a puzzled glance. The more youthful and less formal versions of trad (penny loafers, boat shoes, bean shoes, argyle socks, khakis, cords, surcingle belts, striped watch bands, crew neck sweaters, blazers, etc.) can still appropriately be worn by guys like me, although I occasionally get the opposite comment: that I dress like an 'school boy.' But I don't mind. It's the same outfit that is probably getting you called 'an old man.' Go for it. Embrace it. That's part of what makes it cool.

You can 'update,' by choosing slimmer fits, because good fit is always stylish, but it is the same basic group of clothes and accessories that you will be wearing for 50 years, if you like it, size adjusted.

You can probably choose brighter colors and a larger selection of GTH selections than you might later, but then I have a glorious lemon yellow crew neck sweater that I wore today. And I collect kelly green ties because they look so great with navy blazers and suits.

Sartre

... In fact, just last weekend she said I "looked like my dad."...

In my day, that would have been a real compliment. Sad to see how things have changed. Today, the ultimate compliment would be that you dressed like your kids.

It's a shame because the essence of Ivy dressing is a kind of casual, youthful insouciance. I agree with the advice that Valkyrie provides above: slimmer fits and more colors. Also, don't be a slave to socks. Wear your shirt untucked under your crewneck sweater. Don't worry too much about matching colors. Wear slip-on shoes, not tie-ups. Don't iron everything to death (unless of course you are wearing it to work).

There's also a set of items out there that have found their way into "trad-dom" that I am on record as saying are too nerdy for words and that your wife would be justified in ribbing you for: things like tie bars, wingtips, saddle shoes, argyle sweaters, etc. I would also avoid cardigans if you are in your 20s, and, although I know I'm in the minority here, pocket squares. Save those until you make partner.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.