The Shabby Professor

Starting Member
I'm just getting into dressing, well, better, and I've been looking at some of the colorful vests that used to be popular, and which are making a resurgence with the steampunk fans. Just wondering, are these sort of loud paisleys and such (think of Sixsmith's waistcoat in Cloud Atlas) restricted to tuxedos and cosplay, or can they be added to a two-piece or sport coat and slacks ensemble? I like the idea of adding some more splashes of color, and, as my nickname suggests, I'm a university professor (of sorts) with a wide open dress code (colleagues' daily wear ranges from shorts and Ed Hardy to three-piece suits to kimono), but I don't want to look like I'm wearing swim fins and a hardhat with a tuxedo.....

Thanks for looking

-TSP

roba

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Occasionally...

I'll wear this.

I've had it for about twenty years and still haven't got round to changing the buttons to silver - that goes to the top of the to-do list.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I'm just getting into dressing, well, better, and I've been looking at some of the colorful vests that used to be popular, and which are making a resurgence with the steampunk fans. Just wondering, are these sort of loud paisleys and such (think of Sixsmith's waistcoat in Cloud Atlas) restricted to tuxedos and cosplay, or can they be added to a two-piece or sport coat and slacks ensemble? I like the idea of adding some more splashes of color, and, as my nickname suggests, I'm a university professor (of sorts) with a wide open dress code (colleagues' daily wear ranges from shorts and Ed Hardy to three-piece suits to kimono), but I don't want to look like I'm wearing swim fins and a hardhat with a tuxedo.....

Thanks for looking

-TSP
As with almost everything, it depends. And among the things upon which it depends, the most significant is probably the wearer. It is dandy-wear, and if the wearer is comfortable being at least a little bit of dandy they can pull it off if they wear it properly. And I would say that the two most important aspects of trying to make it look good are selecting vests of cloth that is high quality and attractive of itself. Certainly, fine silk paisley, either woven or printed can be among these. And secondly, make it the only unusual thing in your dress, and keep the balance of your suit, shirt and tie fairly conservative and low-key.

And I should add that venue is also very important. And if dress at your institution is so liberal and varied, I would think that it might fit in well.

AnthonyFuller

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
+1 to the red vest Flanderian posted. As I happen to have a red vest I may try this out, but alas I do not have a tweed suit so I'm not sure how well it would go with an odd jacket.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

The Shabby Professor

Starting Member
Thanks to everyone for the input, I knew I'd seen this sort of thing before, but wasn't having much luck finding images. Once I find a vest and decide if I'm comfortable with it, I'll put up some pics.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Thanks to everyone for the input, I knew I'd seen this sort of thing before, but wasn't having much luck finding images. Once I find a vest and decide if I'm comfortable with it, I'll put up some pics.
Thank you, I'd enjoy seeing that.

I tried to find some photos I have my mind's eye, but could not in my archive.

During the era of Ivy League clothing, a popular but less common choice was odd vests made of the sort of silk that are made into ties. Colorful, but discreet patterns of regimental stripes, neat patterns, and paisleys were combined with sober sport jackets and even worsted suits with suitable ties to compliment, often in a solid color. One of the chief purveyors of this style, as I recall, was Chipp, Press had them too, and even Brooks chipped ;) in.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.