Shaver

Suspended
....At age 64 (soon), I have a stomach that is as flat as a board. Consistent exercise and sensible long-term eating habits are the things that have worked for me.....
Admirable.

For my part I am closing in on 54 and am still in good shape. I no longer sport a sharply defined six pack as I have latterly tired of the extra effort required to maintain this affectation but, nevertheless, my abdomen remains svelte and trim.

Adequate exercise and proper diet are required to achieve physical and psychological well being alike.

richard warren

I thought about this and find that pants that have high enough rise to go above my ilium (I looked it up) will stay up with a belt. Anything else will fall to my hips.

I read an article the other day from the era when suspenders were being supplanted by belts, in which a doctor wrote that belts themselves cause “distended” stomachs.

When you see people with large stomachs extending over tight belts, you think he might have a point. I know that I have much better posture when wearing suspenders.

JBierly

Advanced Member
I find that the jeans that fit me best and don't ride down have a bit of plastic in them (2% polyurethane at least in the pair I am wearing now) and somehow manage to hug my body so that they don't slip. Among other things if you have a bit of an ass you can use that to help keep your pants up (so that there is some resistance to slipping is not only from your hip bones but from some meat in your rear). For those with no glutes and a gut then braces are the only option to keep them up unless you can work on the dreaded double bulge - higher rise trousers with a belt that squeezes mid gut and pushes enough below the waist to act as a barrier to slippage. Not particularly attractive either but better than the full gut over the belt look.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
Admirable.

For my part I am closing in on 54 and am still in good shape. I no longer sport a sharply defined six pack as I have latterly tired of the extra effort required to maintain this affectation but, nevertheless, my abdomen remains svelte and trim.

Adequate exercise and proper diet are required to achieve physical and psychological well being alike.
My dear Shaver, I suspect that if I had your fortitude to abstain from Martinis, Manhattans and the like my abdomen would be svelte and trim. For now at least, I prefer the bulge. To be sure, life with a bulge is inconvenient, but life without nightcaps is uncivilized.

Last edited:

paxonus

My dear Shaver, I suspect that if I had your fortitude to abstain from Martinis, Manhattans and the like my abdomen would be svelte and trim. For now at least, I prefer the bulge. To be sure, life with a bulge is inconvenient, but life without nightcaps is uncivilized.
No reason you can't have both. I do. You just have to count the calories in the booze and treat them like food.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
No reason you can't have both. I do. You just have to count the calories in the booze and treat them like food.
Yes, that worked nicely in my 30s, 40s and even into my 50s. At 62 not so much. Metabolism makes it tougher, and genetics probably plays a part too.

Last edited:

Howard

Connoisseur
^^A new belt
is not the answer for an exploding midriff. Combine a pair of pants that fit with a nice pair of Braces/Suspenders. You might look a bit on the curmogeny side, but you will be more comfortable! :(

I used to be skinny and that was maybe 30 years ago but now it seems that sometimes I keep having to pick up my pants because it feels like it's falling down.

JBierly

Advanced Member
Yes, that worked nicely in my 30s, 40s and even into my 50s. At 62 not so much. Metabolism makes it tougher, and genetics probably plays a part too.
And hormones - I suspect if we all took testosterone or growth hormone or growth hormone releasing hormone we would find it easier to keep the fat off. Or just starve and work out incessantly.

Shaver

Suspended
Unfortunately, as I matured, it became apparent to me that I am even less agreeable than is my already intimidating default mode (aloof bordering on surly) after imbibition. Whether this recognition is resultant of an authentic transition of my response to alcohol or merely an improved self awareness I am unable to adequately discern. However, as much as I occasionally pine for a large straight up single malt, I am undoubtedly a better man for the abstinence.

Hebrew Barrister

I found myself hitting my all-time high weight at the age of 48 and decided to do something about it before it became entrenched. I slimmed down over the course of 2 years. Now at 62 I am still maintaining that weight, but it takes some work. One big change I made that helps significantly was dropping breakfast, and not increasing the size of lunch and dinner.
I had the same issue. I was always pretty trim and fit when young. Then my metabolism hit a brick wall in my 30s and I started gaining weight. By age 38, man, it was not good. I don't even recall what the last straw was, but I decided enough was enough. Took me about 9 months of very strict diet and exercise to bring my weight close to where it was when I was young. Due to developing good habits, I've slowly lost since then, and as I now approach age 41, I am actually slimmer than I was in my mid 20s, and also did to said good habits, am in better shape than I've been in since I was in my early 20s.

It really isn't that difficult. Learn and maintain good habits, ditch bad ones (alcohol!!!), learn self restraint in terms of what you eat and portion control, etc.

As far as health goes, I no longer need BP meds, and my cholesterol is down from over 200 to 145 as of a couple weeks ago.

Hebrew Barrister

Learninf to drink liquor neat, and avoiding beer/wine/mixers, helps a LOT. One shot of scotch is only something like 75cal. The issue is when people take 3 shots of tequila, which on its own would be under 250cal, and mix it with 900 calories of sugary mixers, for example.

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
@toplel - I shall now recap all of the fine recommendations our distinguished members of have shared to assist you with your original question.

...this should be fun...
  1. Get new pants @SG_67
  2. Wear Khakis @Flanderian
  3. Read the Keep pants up tips thread @mikel
  4. Wear high rise pants @richard warren @London380sl
  5. Buy a new belt @Howard
  6. Dump the belt. Wear braces (suspenders) instead. @eagle2250 @JBierly
  7. Don't listen to your body's request of a more generous waredrobe @Dhaller
  8. Wear custom/bespoke jeans @WA
  9. Diet/exercise @Charles Dana @paxonus @delicious_scent @Shaver @Hebrew Barrister
  10. Have beefy buttocks @JBierly
  11. Wear stretch jeans @JBierly
  12. Abstain from alcohol @Mike Petrik
  13. Abstain from food. Drink only alcohol @paxonus :)
  14. Pick up your falling down pants @Howard
  15. Juice (not the drinking kind) @JBierly
  16. Drink straight alcohol, no mixers, beer, wine, etc. @Hebrew Barrister
Well, that WAS very enjoyable.

Quite a fine list of suggestions if I may say so.

@toplel - thoughts?

Big T

At 17, I graduated from high school weighing about 110. I'll be 67 in September and weigh about 210. 20 pounds per decade. 2 pounds per year. Guess that ain't too bad, 'eh?

Jeans? Cargo shorts? Don't even wear them much around the house, khakis much more comfortable!

JBierly

Advanced Member
@toplel - I shall now recap all of the fine recommendations our distinguished members of have shared to assist you with your original question.

...this should be fun...
  1. Get new pants @SG_67
  2. Wear Khakis @Flanderian
  3. Read the Keep pants up tips thread @mikel
  4. Wear high rise pants @richard warren @London380sl
  5. Buy a new belt @Howard
  6. Dump the belt. Wear braces (suspenders) instead. @eagle2250 @JBierly
  7. Don't listen to your body's request of a more generous waredrobe @Dhaller
  8. Wear custom/bespoke jeans @WA
  9. Diet/exercise @Charles Dana @paxonus @delicious_scent @Shaver @Hebrew Barrister
  10. Have beefy buttocks @JBierly
  11. Wear stretch jeans @JBierly
  12. Abstain from alcohol @Mike Petrik
  13. Abstain from food. Drink only alcohol @paxonus :)
  14. Pick up your falling down pants @Howard
  15. Juice (not the drinking kind) @JBierly
  16. Drink straight alcohol, no mixers, beer, wine, etc. @Hebrew Barrister
Well, that WAS very enjoyable.

Quite a fine list of suggestions if I may say so.

@toplel - thoughts?
Clearly you missed one - hormone replacement/supplement therapy.

And to add one - Liposuction.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.