drpeter

I’ve been looking into the role that khakis played in civilian menswear between the Spanish-American War of 1898 and the end of the 1930’s. (People who have written about the history of civilian-worn khakis seem to have overlooked that span of time.) I’m currently organizing the information I have found so that I can present it in a semi-coherent way.

When I post my findings, I’ll probably do so in a new thread so as not to hijack this one. Whatever I write, it will be an incomplete accounting as there is just too much material to put into a discussion forum post. I’ll get to it as soon as I can.
Thanks very much indeed. That is a great project, and I shall look forward to reading your material.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I’ve been looking into the role that khakis played in civilian menswear between the Spanish-American War of 1898 and the end of the 1930’s. (People who have written about the history of civilian-worn khakis seem to have overlooked that span of time.) I’m currently organizing the information I have found so that I can present it in a semi-coherent way.

When I post my findings, I’ll probably do so in a new thread so as not to hijack this one. Whatever I write, it will be an incomplete accounting as there is just too much material to put into a discussion forum post. I’ll get to it as soon as I can.
Like drpeter, really, really excited to see what you have.

DCR

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
With temperatures dipping into the 60s overnight recently, for the first time in a long time, these seemed appropriate to think about:
View attachment 48823 View attachment 48824
I want a bear cat coat badly. One showed up on eBay in my size last year for $800 and I now regret not buying it even if I needed a bunch of scotch to be seen out in public wearing it.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
McGregor, a rig for all seasons...and then some! ;)
Good point, the company's offerings really did cover a lot of territory. I had a few McGregor items as a kid / young man, but they were all casual things (a Harrington-like jacket comes to mind). I don't remember McGregor offering dress clothes in the '80s. Maybe it did, I just don't remember ever running into them.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Out of season, but more McGregor: View attachment 48902
One can't help but note two things from the illustration featured; 1) in the upper right quadrant, Frosty is better dressed than his human company and 2) in the lower left quadrant, who among us doesn't recall going out sledding with but a light jacket or sweater to warm them and never realizing that we were freezing our buns off? LOL ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
One can't help but note two things from the illustration featured; 1) in the upper right quadrant, Frosty is better dressed than his human company and 2) in the lower left quadrant, who among us doesn't recall going out sledding with but a light jacket or sweater to warm them and never realizing that we were freezing our buns off? LOL ;)
1. Yes, 2. Yes and 3. lower-right quadrant, (as the kids would say) IRL - thankfully - I don't believe I've ever seen a man match his sweater pattern to his sock pattern.

drpeter

I do like boat shoes, although I don't have very many. I've recently acquired three pairs of boat shoes from Goodwill, all US-made and all in fine nick: A Cole-Haan, a Dexter (these are both dark suede with brown leather trim), and an all-leather tan/brown Timberland.

There is a Made-in-Maine Sperry Topsider that is available from their website, Several models, all of them splendid-looking, but it is very expensive at around $375. I'm thinking about it, and wondering if their price might come down a bit, perhaps a year-end sale or some such event. I am looking at Rancourt too, they have less expensive boat shoes that are US-made. Sebago also makes good shoes, but I am not sure they are made in the US anymore.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.