Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
e6adc37042be1223290494c7e8b5c89d-1.jpg

Another example of why Rockwell is The Great American Illustrator. He paints in freeze frame, a cinematic term he may not have known, but he knew what a still was and he knew that was what the other guys did and he said nuts to that. To me, only one other illustrator rides so high, their styles and subject matter so disparate though, one was the idol of the other, maybe even of each other, the innovator of light through darkness, Maxfield Parrish. Yes, the briefcase here is a well rendered still life, but it's the stop action of the entire scene that testifies.(And the ad copy's no slouch.)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Just in time for sweater season, up here in the soon-to-be-frozen North...I'm looking forward to a long, colourful Fall, when I can wear those fall colours in my sweaters and my houndstooth and district check sports jackets.
Ditto, except my sport coats are almost all herringbone. Can't wait for fall.

drpeter

Ditto, except my sport coats are almost all herringbone. Can't wait for fall.
I have some herringbones too, LOL. My two favourites are a grey and a brown Harris Tweed, both 3-roll-2 sacks from J Press. I have been debating about whether I should get my tailor to take them in a bit at the waist and back, since I've lost a fair bit of weight after I bought them ages ago.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
An informative and entertaining illustration, for sure. Although, this year, while timely, it would be socially out of step. Several conferences are not playing and those that are, are enforcing social distancing in the stadium, reducing crowd size to just 25% of normal (I think?). Alas, times have changed, but the design of those sweaters would still be current! ;)

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
The temps have dropped enough and the humidity has risen sufficiently that fire is less likely to overcome the Cabin on the Corner. In fact, the temps have dropped enough that I have abandoned shorts (at least for the present) and even taken to wearing a board shirt over my polo and jeans--at least in the morning. Let there be autumn!

And Peak has it nailed. Maxfield Parrish and Norman Rockwell took 'illustration' beyond the narrow, parochial bounds of the insular New York critics into the wider realms of art that approached the Renaissance Masters. Stick it in your ear, Clemmie Greenberg!

Charles Dana

Honors Member
^

Extra credit to the artist for strict adherence to the positions, and the sexual differences, of the way text books were carried back in the day. Very important. Sorta like the leg crossing thing, a guy at the knees, women at the ankles.
I remember when sweaters like that were in style. I wish they still were. And that’s an astute observation about the girl way and the boy way of carrying textbooks. In the late 60s, students didn’t use backpacks. If a kid had to carry a few thick books to and from school, too bad. My 9th-grade world history book was a beast.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals