Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
... that’s an astute observation about the girl way and the boy way of carrying textbooks. In the late 60s, students didn’t use backpacks. If a kid had to carry a few thick books to and from school, too bad. My 9th-grade world history book was a beast.
Before our times, but not much, kids used to carry books in a leather strap, and until the 70s, yellow diamond shaped street signs forewarning of a school or a crossing carried the silhouette of a boy and girl, pig tails on the girl, books with the strap dangling on the guy. (Will try to seen if I can find an internet pic of this, to bolster my drooling memory.)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
What a great illustration. Apologies to Margaret Atwood, but it brings a whole new meaning to the term "a handmaids tale!" LOL. ;)
Ever since @Flanderian created his long-running "Esquire" thread, I've been interested in the way different illustrators "capture" the details of clothing. For example, in this illustration, the shirt collar and tie knot are almost undefined, but that technique works beautifully here.

Also, I wonder if the ad wasn't for the coat (even though the suit could be the star) as the lining of the coat looks so beautifully luxurious that you almost want to buy it without knowing what the coat itself really looks like.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
The illustrations give rise to much thought as one studies them and the article provides rather interesting background details, allowing a quick glimpse into the mind of the artist. Your post did more to wake me up and get me thinking, this AM than did a pot of coffee! Thank you. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.