Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Impressive work, for sure, but the artists rendition of the human form is angular at best and downright jarring at worst! Just an opinion. ;)
I'm out over my skis on this, so if we have any real art-knowledgable member, please jump in and correct me, but this work reminds me of Otto Dix's work and other German artists from the Weimar (and maybe early) period of Germany's history.

Since this looks like a German poster from that era - '20s/'30s Germany, it appears to have been influence by that artistic "movement."

And I agree, it's interesting and impressive, but can be jarring.

drpeter

Yes, it is reminiscent a bit of Dix and the Weimar period. I like the travel posters of the time, which can now be found reproduced on postcards. I did find another example of a poster from the same company, Isidor Bach, designed by Ludwig Hohlwein, and dated circa 1910.

1601478429444.png

drpeter

I also found more details about the Isidor Bach clothing company. Interesting and sad details in this wiki entry below, translated by Google from the German.

During the Nazi period, Isidor Bach, a Jew, had to transfer his business to a German (non-Jewish) partner Johann Konen, and being a "respected Jew", was deported, but allowed to go to Bern to live with his daughter.

https://translate.google.com/transl...edia.org/wiki/Isidor_Bach&prev=search&pto=aue

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
LOL. We appear to be viewing 'the Mutha' of today's tartan fun shirts. Although, I suspect your illustration was created well before the term "fun shirt(s)" was coined? I can't recall ever being a big fan of the fun shirt movement. Truth be known, I am more impressed by that windbreaker than I am by the shirt. ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
LOL. We appear to be viewing 'the Mutha' of today's tartan fun shirts. Although, I suspect your illustration was created well before the term "fun shirt(s)" was coined? I can't recall ever being a big fan of the fun shirt movement. Truth be known, I am more impressed by that windbreaker than I am by the shirt. ;)
We really do think alike. I've never cared for the "fun shirt" at all. But also, like you, thought the jacket looked nice. I wonder if that shirt in the illustration was really just a way of showing the material samples and was not really a "fun shirt," meaning, McGregor did not expect someone to mix in different patterns in one shirt.

I also wonder how McGregor handled the ordering of those shirts for, what I assume really was, a MTM process. It is reasonably cumbersome to add MTM shirting to a store's responsibilities, especially one with, probably, no experience with doing something like that.

drpeter

Perhaps it is a very small flying saucer, LOL, and Tennis Man is about to make contact with tiny, but powerful aliens arriving on the planet. Very small beings can make a positively gargantuan difference, as we have been finding out with a small collection of nucleic acids called a virus that seems to have brought earthlings to their knees. Or, worse, left them prostrate.

Incidentally, why do we hear about flying saucers, but never about flying cups?

drpeter

The trousers are great! I have several exactly like those, with forward pleats and a high rise, assuming they are grey flannel, or grey cotton. The shirt, however, is a bit too loud for my taste.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.