Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Arrow Shirts are a brand that I am familiar with and have conffidence in.. The illustration above is particularly interesting, given the presumed age of the young men pictured and it's conflict with the caption of the illustration, "Arrow Grad Shirts." At best those young fellows have yet tyo finish prep school! ;)
I saw that seeming contradiction too and thought maybe they are saying to high school kids, "hey, these are the shirts that older, cooler college grads wear." But it certainly isn't clear.

Note the white bucks on the kid to the left (like we saw in a modern Polo ad in the Ralph thread yesterday).

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
View attachment 50076
I'll grant you, there's not much to discuss about the clothes here, but the suit is well illustrated in its seeming simplicity.
...but looking closely at the art work, they did clothe him in what appears to be a herringbone tweed weave...a good choice that resists wrinkling on a long air flight! However that illustration is really going to tighten Gloria Steinem's jaws. LOL, the title says it all, ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
...but looking closely at the art work, they did clothe him in what appears to be a herringbone tweed weave...a good choice that resists wrinkling on a long air flight! However that illustration is really going to tighten Gloria Steinem's jaws. LOL, the title says it all, ;)
Yes to your GS comment. Also, having just caught the tail-end of the period when smoking was still aloud on flights (albeit within the completely ineffective smoking section), nothing is worse than being stuck in a metal tube for hours with recirculating air when people are smoking (or coughing out Covid-19).

drpeter

The trouble with smoking is that the smell of stale tobacco gets into everything, including one's fine suits and shirts. I should know, I was a smoker for a while (cigarettes, cigars, a pipe, the works, but I quit 33 years ago and have never gone back). To this day, when I go to see a cigar-and-pipe-smoking friend in his little office behind an antique shop he owns, I have to take off and air the clothes I had been wearing after I get home!

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
The trouble with smoking is that the smell of stale tobacco gets into everything, including one's fine suits and shirts. I should know, I was a smoker for a while (cigarettes, cigars, a pipe, the works, but I quit 33 years ago and have never gone back). To this day, when I go to see a cigar-and-pipe-smoking friend in his little office behind an antique shop he owns, I have to take off and air the clothes I had been wearing after I get home!
You are so right. I never smoked, but as noted, being born in '64, I caught the tail end of the smoker era. For about the first five years of work in the '80s ('till they finally passed no smoking laws at work), people were still allowed to smoke. It was disgusting, your clothes (and hair) always smelled at the end of the day and I was airing and dry-cleaning my work clothes all the time. And if you went to a bar, you basically smelled like a smoker until you showered and washed / dry-cleaned all your clothes.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Yes to your GS comment. Also, having just caught the tail-end of the period when smoking was still aloud on flights (albeit within the completely ineffective smoking section), nothing is worse than being stuck in a metal tube for hours with recirculating air when people are smoking (or coughing out Covid-19).
Ironically, having retired from the USAF, I think I accumulated more hours in the air, as a civilian 'air borne' road warrior than I did in military air frames. Even thought the airlines concentrated the smokers greerally in the rear section of the aircraft, and sometimes restricted the smoking to cigarettes only, it still polluted the entire aircraft, forcing all of us to inhale second hand smoke. Bleah!!! I consider it a blessing that I never contracted a litany of lung diseases associated with breathing all that second hand smoke! :)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Ironically, having retired from the USAF, I think I accumulated more hours in the air, as a civilian 'air borne' road warrior than I did in military air frames. Even thought the airlines concentrated the smokers greerally in the rear section of the aircraft, and sometimes restricted the smoking to cigarettes only, it still polluted the entire aircraft, forcing all of us to inhale second hand smoke. Bleah!!! I consider it a blessing that I never contracted a litany of lung diseases associated with breathing all that second hand smoke! :)
Possibly the stupidest concept ever was a "smoking section" on an airplane. Um, guys? Really?

The restaurant one wasn't that much better as I remember sitting in restaurants eating your meal with the smell of smoke wafting over - it was revolting.

The smoking "room" at work was a bit better as it, pretty much, kept the smoke in one room. Two things that were very noticeable about that though were how much someone smelled of smoke when they came out of that room and how disgusting that room got as the heavy concentration of smoking in it gave everything in the room a yellow tint along with the unbreathable air.

One thing we as a country got right in my lifetime was the complete change in attitudes, rules, laws and norms around smoking.

drpeter

When I lived in Amsterdam years ago, I would often go to cafes in the city which were several hundred years old. They were called bruin cafes, because the walls were stained brown from all the smoking that went on for ages! Those places certainly had an atmosphere, with dark wood and a cozy ambience that the Dutch refer to as gezelligheid. Now all bars, restaurants and cafes in Amsterdam have a no-smoking policy.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.