eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
A truly entertaining assemblage of Thanksgiving Holiday illustrations and given the football game playing on TV in the first illustration, these just have to be illustrations of holiday celebrations, in the pre-pandemic eras! ;)
The top one was my favorite. My dad was a gambler and bookmaker (all done quietly - not the way it's portrayed in movies) and we often had a small B&W TV with rabbit ears sitting on a chair in the corner of the dinning room at Christmas. It was that or wait until both games were over and no one wanted to wait till after 7pm to eat. My take on Tolstoy: every crazy family is crazy in its own way.

drpeter

I just love dove grey summer-weight poplin slacks. They pair well with navy blue shirts or sweaters, or with a navy blue blazer. And a crisp white shirt is simply terrific with the light grey colour of the slacks. IMHO, they are almost as versatile as beige or khaki trousers.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Looks like a classic card stock photo, but I must ask, is the lady wearing (what appears to be) thigh high leather boots? Did such footwear even exist back in the day? Bye golly, with that coat, she could be the fabled Mrs Santa Clause...yes, no? ;)
I don't know when thigh-high leather boots for women came into being, but just a guess, they might be knee-length snow / rain boots that just look higher owing to the way the artist drew them. I remember girls in college in the '80s having some sorta of faux-leather rain boot that looked like those.

drpeter

There was a time during the late seventies, when knee-length leather boots became a very fashionable item for women. Most women had a pair and they combined well with skirts. Protection from the cold in winter was also an added benefit. In dark brown and burgundy, especially, they looked quite elegant. And then, like many fashions, they faded away. One does not see these boots very much anymore.

I've never noticed large numbers of women wearing thigh-high boots, though. How comfortable could they be? How would one sit down if one was wearing these boots? Maybe the leather was extremely soft and supple and would permit the bending required.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
There was a time during the late seventies, when knee-length leather boots became a very fashionable item for women. Most women had a pair and they combined well with skirts. Protection from the cold in winter was also an added benefit. In dark brown and burgundy, especially, they looked quite elegant. And then, like many fashions, they faded away. One does not see these boots very much anymore.

I've never noticed large numbers of women wearing thigh-high boots, though. How comfortable could they be? How would one sit down if one was wearing these boots? Maybe the leather was extremely soft and supple and would permit the bending required.
The thigh-high boot was heavily in vogue in NYC about ten years ago. And you are spot on, they look a bit awkward when the wearer sits, but they are a definitely "notice me" boot on a tall, thin woman strutting across a room. I still see them occasionally, but their moment has passed.

And, like you, I remember that '70s knee-length-boot-with-skirt look. Very dated today, but it was a thing then. As noted, in the early '80s, the girls at Rutgers wore faux leather ones - no-one going to Rutgers could afford a knee-length real-leather boot. I remember a flaxen-haired girl in Cost Accounting wearing a pair - yes, I did ask her out and, surprisingly, she said yes. Once in awhile, the home team has a good day.

drpeter

I wouldn't dream of wearing one of these sweaters. I am nowhere near Nordic enough. Aeons ago, when I had chemotherapy, the nurses promised me that once the treatment was over, I would get blond hair and blue eyes. Sad to say, it did not work out. Now I have no hair and the same old brown eyes. Plus a mostly white beard, of course, well past the salt-and-pepper stage. This is what the Buddhists call samsara, LOL.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I wouldn't dream of wearing one of these sweaters. I am nowhere near Nordic enough. Aeons ago, when I had chemotherapy, the nurses promised me that once the treatment was over, I would get blond hair and blue eyes. Sad to say, it did not work out. Now I have no hair and the same old brown eyes. Plus a mostly white beard, of course, well past the salt-and-pepper stage. This is what the Buddhists call samsara, LOL.
I'm sorry you went through that, but glad you are with us today.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Levi's have been a component of the master's closet in the eagles roost for as many years as I can remember and during my undergraduate experience at Penn State's University Park Campus I wore almost nothing but chinos and OCBD's or knit, collared polo shirts, depending on the time of year. I've seen, but never owned pants with a cinched back. I didn't realize Levi's even offered such a thing! I would have bought several pair, if I had known. :(

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.