Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Lost somewhere in the hoard, I have a Woolrich version of the Red&Black Buffalo Plaid Mackinaw Cruiser jacket. Although, as I recall, mine doesn't feature the multi-directional plaids featured on the jacket in the illustration! ;)
Funny, I found the change from the "multi-directional" plaid to the straight up-and-down and side-to-side plaid awkward looking in the same garment. Either plaid pattern would be fine by itself in a garment, but together they looked "off" to my eye. Thus, I think I'd like your jacket better.

drpeter

This advert takes me back in time and brings back memories! When I first came to the US, I often travelled by Greyhound coach because it was the right price for a graduate student living on a small research assistantship and a Dean's fellowship (combined total in 1975: $3,400 for nine months). I arrived at JFK in New York in August, 1975, and stayed a week with a friend there, then took a Greyhound to Boston and spent a week with my brother, a graduate student at Tufts University then and living in Cambridge, Mass.

This was my first experience of US roads and I was astonished at how good the highways were compared to the rough surface of Indian highways and roads in those days. The seats were big and comfortable, and it felt almost like flying in an airplane! Nowadays, most people look down upon bus travel, but these matters are relative, I suppose. I took another Greyhound to Rochester in upstate New York, where I was to spend several years doing graduate work at the University of Rochester.

Well, thanks for the memories, Faders!

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
My last trip on a Greyhound Bus was back in the mid 1960's when the Air Force sent me from Lock Haven, PA to McGuire AFB, NJ, for a flight physical and a physical aptitude test, as part of the screening process for admittance to the USAF Academy. Can you believe that , a two day bus ride for a wannabe pilot? I'll bet the Air Force saved a lot on that one! LOL. ;)

drpeter

Wow, I don't think I have ever been on a two-day bus ride. Trains are usually more comfortable for trips longer than a day.

LOL, they could have fitted you out with a parachute and air-dropped you on one of their many training flights or sorties or what have you...

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I don't know how these things are figured but for reasons beyond my comprehension the Pentagon believes that it's cheaper to put Reservists on commercial flights than to put them in the belly of a C5 full of cargo that's already going where the Reservists need to be. Then you have to consider the taxi from the airport to a hotel, meals and lodging before some OD truck picks them up and drives for a couple of hours out into the hinterlands where the airbase and the training area are. I don't understand.

drpeter

My favourite part is the lovely maroon dress the lady is wearing, probably a rich wool flannel. It goes very well with her blonde hair, red lipstick and peaches-and-cream complexion. Now, is she wiping away a tear as the man seems to be dressing her down (pun intended)?

The image reminds me of a psychological test known as the TAT (Thematic Apperception Test) in which the person taking the test is shown a picture rather like the one above, and then asked to write a story based on what they think is happening in the scene depicted in the picture. The pictures always involve one or more human beings. The TAT is, like the Rorschach Inkblot Test, one of a class of personality tests called Projective Tests.. They have poor validity and reliability and are not used very much anymore.

I like the furniture too and I have an identical, nicely patina'd oak chair, and a small, heavy wooden filing cabinet similar to the bigger ones shown here.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.