Fading Fast

Connoisseur
........or take a gander at the lathered up and disheveled condition of other gentlemen in the picture and/or looks being directed at him by his fellow male travelers, as they wonder why our sartorial hero is not stewing in his own juices and looking as disheveled as the rest of the commuters getting off that train! Obviously the ladies, both young and old, like a man who's got it all together. LOL. ;)
Great catch. I commuted by train into NYC from NJ for a few years back in the '80s and you are so right as most of us alighting the evening train in the summer looked liked those rumpled guys in the background.

drpeter

The men talk animatedly, the woman looks admiringly at one of them, her raised eyes wide. The width of their trousers correspond well to the period, just as they do to the social attitudes and dynamics captured by the men and woman. They say life can imitate art -- perhaps art can imitate sociology too!

Charles Dana

Honors Member
........or take a gander at the lathered up and disheveled condition of other gentlemen in the picture and/or looks being directed at him by his fellow male travelers, as they wonder why our sartorial hero is not stewing in his own juices and looking as disheveled as the rest of the commuters getting off that train!
Probably an ad for the wonders of Dacron Polyester.

drpeter

I've always admired the self-confidence of a man who can carry off wearing a red jacket. This one looks like a short mess jacket -- a "monkey jacket" in Indian and British military parlance, not sure if we use that phrase here in the US. If the gentleman were to turn a bit to his right, we just might see medals on the left half of his jacket.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I've always admired the self-confidence of a man who can carry off wearing a red jacket. This one looks like a short mess jacket -- a "monkey jacket" in Indian and British military parlance, not sure if we use that phrase here in the US. If the gentleman were to turn a bit to his right, we just might see medals on the left half of his jacket.
....or given that tray of drinks balanced on his left hand and the folded towel in his right hand, he could be a member of the wait staff...yes, no? Just a thought. ;)

drpeter

....or given that tray of drinks balanced on his left hand and the folded towel in his right hand, he could be a member of the wait staff...yes, no? Just a thought. ;)
LOL, you are probably right, Eagle Eyes. I did not look very closely. I thought it was a piece of paper in his hand! But even if he were a waiter, it still exudes un peu de confiance, n'est-ce pas?

eagle2250

LOL, you are probably right, Eagle Eyes. I did not look very closely. I thought it was a piece of paper in his hand! But even if he were a waiter, it still exudes un peu de confiance, n'est-ce pas?
....and in keeping with your original assessment, the US Army used to vary the hues designed into the Mess Dress uniforms lapels to indicate what line if work the wearer was involved in. I believe the Canadians and the British wear a solid red Mess Dress jackets. So many of your posts get me to pondering the issues raised and I thank you for that, my friend! ;)

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
My full dress uniform (currently hanging in the closet where it will likely stay until it joins me in a pine box) is a mess dress uniform. As an NCO (NATO E-8 or Company Sergeant Major in British parlance) my lapels are the same royal blue as the jacket. Only officers got different colored lapels depending on which branch they were commissioned in.

eagle2250

I've spent 5+ minutes staring at that illustration, trying to figure out what those white, wormy looking things jumping out of that barrel happen to be. Is that supposed to depict water splashing out of the barrel or are those things the baby "shit weasels" Stephen King describes in his novel, Dream Catcher? A troubled mind really wants to know! ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I've spent 5+ minutes staring at that illustration, trying to figure out what those white, wormy looking things jumping out of that barrel happen to be. Is that supposed to depict water splashing out of the barrel or are those things the baby "shit weasels" Stephen King describes in his novel, Dream Catcher? A troubled mind really wants to know! ;)
I think they are shredded pieces of newspaper or some type of paper used to pack the dishes as it looks like the couple is unpacking from a move.

GRH

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I think they are shredded pieces of newspaper or some type of paper used to pack the dishes as it looks like the couple is unpacking from a move.
Yes, shredded paper, used for packing purposes before the introduction of bubble wrap. Called "excelsior," for some reason. Back when dishes were shipped in barrels. God! I feel old.

drpeter

My full dress uniform (currently hanging in the closet where it will likely stay until it joins me in a pine box) is a mess dress uniform. As an NCO (NATO E-8 or Company Sergeant Major in British parlance) my lapels are the same royal blue as the jacket. Only officers got different colored lapels depending on which branch they were commissioned in.
In my National Service Unit in India, that was similar to what I was, a Regimental Sergeant Major, and then I finished as Regimental Under-Officer, the highest rank for the NCC.

And Sarge, we should skip the pine box. Let's go for a handsome walnut box with decorations and brass handles. As for me, I would love the so-called Viking funeral with the boat being floated out to sea and the flaming arrow, etc., etc. (But I am told that was all just legend, likely created by Hollywood, the Vikings probably buried or cremated like everyone else).

BTW, speaking of Hollywood, I just read a great line by Harvard astrophysicist Avi Loeb in his new book, Extraterrestrial: The laws of physics have been violated only in two places: singularities (in deep space) and Hollywood.

Loeb has come out with a book on the object that came into our solar system from interstellar space in 2017 -- very intriguing and controversial in terms if its meaning. Loeb thinks that it was not an asteroid or a bit of rock, but something created by another civilization -- it could even be debris from a spaceship. Fascinating stuff.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Yes, shredded paper, used for packing purposes before the introduction of bubble wrap. Called "excelsior," for some reason. Back when dishes were shipped in barrels. God! I feel old.
And before shredded paper, excelsior was shredded wood. When I was on Active Duty, we shipped home some Rosenthal crystal and der Post packed them in wooden excelsior. I don't know if that's old fashioned but it worked. Not a stem broke.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.