eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Great illustration. I suppose that a case could be made that I've had a touch of crazy in me pretty much all of my life. The photo above reminds me of the years I was working out of the Federal Building in downtown Chicago. On those days it happened to be raining during the lunch hour, I would happily go out walking in the rain, window shopping, while function testing my Trench Coat(s) and Stetson Temple Hats. The coats generally performed acceptably well, but the Temple Hats , not so well...LOL! ;) Thanks for the memories.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
View attachment 54696
My guess, 1920s, but a heck of a cool illustration.
The image above is a great illustration....look at the fabric pattern on that couch. I've seen it in a few friends homes, but jeez Louise, I hope that doesn't mean I'm all that old! LOL. On a more serious note, consider the collar on the guys shirt...is it a collar or a medieval sartorial torture device? :icon_scratch:;)

drpeter

Very clever. Using the monochrome approach, especially shades of bluish grey, paired with white and a single pop of colour, red (the greyscale is actually achromatic) to achieve a pleasing overall effect is a good skill to have for an effective dresser.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Very clever. Using the monochrome approach, especially shades of bluish grey, paired with white and a single pop of colour, red (the greyscale is actually achromatic) to achieve a pleasing overall effect is a good skill to have for an effective dresser.
I'm a fan of the monochromatic approach (not everyday) and noticed it too. While the red tie provides a pop of contrast (as you also noted), a medium-to-dark blue tie would have kept the monochromatic vibe going, but still provided some contrast in a quieter way. I don't know if it would have worked - it's one you'd have to see to decide.

An interesting illustration that sends competing messages. Is it the style that grabs one's attention or is it the cloaking effect of the man's face, the full smile corrupted by the impish grin; that suggests the imminent appearance of Jim Carrey's version of thew jaundice hued "The Mask?" LOL. ;)
Good call re Carrey. I didn't make the connection until you pointed it out, but it's obvious now.

drpeter

A faint of echo of an earlier style in artwork -- something in the drawing resonates in my mind with the old Art Deco travel posters about exotic places. I may be off, but the lines and colours seem just a little like those old images.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
A faint of echo of an earlier style in artwork -- something in the drawing resonates in my mind with the old Art Deco travel posters about exotic places. I may be off, but the lines and colours seem just a little like those old images.
I felt it was an interesting "bridge" style between the Art Deco you note and the more modern '60s style of illustration that was to come. I feel both styles in it: he's more deco '30s, she's more '60s mod as is the "watercolored" background.

Ahhhh. New love, discovered on a rainy afternoon! Proof that even something as mundane as an umbrella can serve as a 'make-do' aphrodisiac. A reminder that when life serves one lemons, we should attempt lemonade. ;)

drpeter

Ahhhh. New love, discovered on a rainy afternoon! Proof that even something as mundane as an umbrella can serve as a 'make-do' aphrodisiac. A reminder that when life serves one lemons, we should attempt lemonade. ;)
Perhaps it is Poseidon or Neptune in a raincoat, disguised as a mere mortal, come to pick up a nymph for his underwater palace...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.