Men's Clothing Forums banner

Clothing Illustrations From or Inspired by the 20s to the 60s

385K views 5K replies 79 participants last post by  Oviatt 
#1 · (Edited)
I stumbled across this illustration - a Coke ad from 1957 - and thought it would be neat to attempt to get a thread going on illustrations of Ivy clothes (kinda like what Flanderian is doing with Vintage Esquire illustrations over on the other side of the house).

And, if not, this one with its OCBD, ski and V-neck sweaters, khakis, argyle socks and Weejuns is fun just by itself. Also, clearly, Coke wanted to position itself as cool, so this is more evidence that the cool kids of the '50s were dressing in Ivy.

Many years ago, I dated a blonde who said a black turtleneck is a blonde's best friend - no argument from me.

Art Food Cuisine Cooking Sharing

See less See more
#2,765 · (Edited)
This advert takes me back in time and brings back memories! When I first came to the US, I often travelled by Greyhound coach because it was the right price for a graduate student living on a small research assistantship and a Dean's fellowship (combined total in 1975: $3,400 for nine months). I arrived at JFK in New York in August, 1975, and stayed a week with a friend there, then took a Greyhound to Boston and spent a week with my brother, a graduate student at Tufts University then and living in Cambridge, Mass.

This was my first experience of US roads and I was astonished at how good the highways were compared to the rough surface of Indian highways and roads in those days. The seats were big and comfortable, and it felt almost like flying in an airplane! Nowadays, most people look down upon bus travel, but these matters are relative, I suppose. I took another Greyhound to Rochester in upstate New York, where I was to spend several years doing graduate work at the University of Rochester.

Well, thanks for the memories, Faders!

#2,768 ·
I don't know how these things are figured but for reasons beyond my comprehension the Pentagon believes that it's cheaper to put Reservists on commercial flights than to put them in the belly of a C5 full of cargo that's already going where the Reservists need to be. Then you have to consider the taxi from the airport to a hotel, meals and lodging before some OD truck picks them up and drives for a couple of hours out into the hinterlands where the airbase and the training area are. I don't understand.

#2,777 ·
My favourite part is the lovely maroon dress the lady is wearing, probably a rich wool flannel. It goes very well with her blonde hair, red lipstick and peaches-and-cream complexion. Now, is she wiping away a tear as the man seems to be dressing her down (pun intended)?

The image reminds me of a psychological test known as the TAT (Thematic Apperception Test) in which the person taking the test is shown a picture rather like the one above, and then asked to write a story based on what they think is happening in the scene depicted in the picture. The pictures always involve one or more human beings. The TAT is, like the Rorschach Inkblot Test, one of a class of personality tests called Projective Tests.. They have poor validity and reliability and are not used very much anymore.

I like the furniture too and I have an identical, nicely patina'd oak chair, and a small, heavy wooden filing cabinet similar to the bigger ones shown here.

#2,796 ·
Love the artwork!

I wonder how comfortable those high, stiff club collars were. If this image is from the twenties, they were probably made of celluloid. My Dad wore detachable celluloid collars with some of his shirts in the fifties.
I can't imagine they were comfortable. I can see them irritating the heck out one's neck. But then they were quite popular, so one assumes they couldn't have been that terrible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.