Cornbread or roll?

GentlemanGeorge

Yes, I know it's not trad, but somebody explain to me how something like this sits somewhere in brand new condition for fifty years and one day shows up in the goodwill next to a rack full of junk.
c5c1647f.jpg

378b5fb3.jpg

4f27d3f3.jpg

Same for this, only less remarkable for being 30 years old and acrylic:
c2d461e3.jpg

DownByTheRiverSide

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I Think I Can Explain It . . .

. . . someone's parents or relative passed away. That person's protected and treasured items are now nothing but something that must be disposed of in order to close an estate. You give what you can to any relative who will take it, you sell some in a garage sale perhaps, and send the rest to a shelter or to the Goodwill or the SA. I have had to do it several times. A sad reality.

It makes you reflect on your own life. If nothing else, it shows the futility of saving things for a day that may never come. While I take excellent care of my clothes, I do wear my best things on a regular basis. I feel that today is just as important as any day that may (n)ever come.

Last edited:

ZachGranstrom

Or...

It could be some clothes that somebody never wanted to wear (Gift from Family) putting them away somewhere, then one day finding these items and thought to donate them. However, I think that DownByTheRiverside response seems to be the most logical.

recoveringchef

This thread is not at all what I had in mind. I was expecting a conversation about what baked starch you wanted to serve at your next dinner party. My answer, naturally, would have been "cornbread."

GentlemanGeorge

Cornbread is correct, of course. But who ever questioned that? I'm just impressed to see ancient items perfect with all of the shop folds, etc.

TheWGP

I just found a very similar button-up-sweater tonight - only with an "Izod of London" label, same blue crocodile. Apparently that's from the 60's. Some stuff is really hard to date, but there are regularly clothes from the 40's 50's 60's that comes through and you just have to guess where it came from.

The, I guess you would say, silver lining is that we get to enjoy those "oldies but goodies" again today - despite many of those items having been impossible to buy "new" for decades!

Oh, and for me it counts on what kind of cornbread. Jiffy cornbread = win. The cornbread at Famous Dave's = oh my gosh winnnnsicle. The cornbread at Cracker Barrel? Cardboard, give me a roll please with butter! ^^;

Dingo McPhee

What does this thread title have to do with the content? Is this another Britishism or trad fashion term I don't know?

Sebjames

Starting Member
What does this thread title have to do with the content? Is this another Britishism or trad fashion term I don't know?
I'm confused as well, but my vote is for cornbread.
And to scan obits and figure out how long it takes for their clothes to get to the Salvation Army.

WouldaShoulda

Suspended
I've witnessed this several times at estate sales.

I especially like it when really cool glasses or bakeware, possibly given as wedding present, remain boxed and unused fro 60+ years!!

DownByTheRiverSide

Enjoyment Deferred . . .

I've witnessed this several times at estate sales.

I especially like it when really cool glasses or bakeware, possibly given as wedding present, remain boxed and unused fro 60+ years!!

While it is nice to find these things in pristine condition, I am always tinged with sadness when I see that the person was always putting off using these things for some 'better time' that quite obviously never came. It is enjoyment deferred, but deferred too long so that it never happened, except perhaps just in the knowing that they were there if needed.

I saw this same phenomenon when my grandmother passed away about 30 years ago. Drawers, and boxes, and cabinets of lovely things, many never used, or used only once or twice, always being saved for "later." It was sobering to see.

My mother had always done the same thing. Apparently she, like I, was struck by what she saw and took a lesson from it. While it was never once mentioned, I noticed that gradually most all of those extra-nice things Mother had been saving for later started to appear and be used.

My Mother passed recently herself, and while there are always innumerable regrets, I was very happy that she was able to take the lesson of not deferring the enjoyment of our little treasure too long and to incorporate them into our daily lives and enjoy them now. It may not make for as interesting garage sales or thrift shopping for someone later, but surely it is the right thing to do on a personal basis.

Pink and Green

Not to derail, but I had a similar experience when my father died. I held my own "estate sale" and sold everything I don't use on a regular basis. Now I only own what I use, and I use it well till I squeeze the life out of it, like (back in Trad mode) an old pair of Top-Siders at the end of a long, hot summer.

Ekphrastic

It seems that, between these samples and the NWT Southwick that appeared a while ago, George really knows where to thrift.

Dang, man. I gotta see Savannah.

Oh, and I'll gladly take cornbread OR rolls. Call me Starchie.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange