jon44

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I'm going through a major life change and trying to stop wearing sneakers and start wearing shoes as often as I can. With narrow feet and joint issues, my shoe choices are limited. This happens to be one that I know would work:
1616718232990.png

..thing is, I mostly wear khakis and not sure these would work.
1616718232990.png
1616718324072.png
Any input appreciated.

(P.s., option two that comes in the same Alden last that works for me and has a similar beefy sole is this:
1616718324072.png

....pricey (cordovan), but better with khakis?)

TKI67

Advanced Member
Just one person's opinion here. I find either leather fine with khakis. However, I view khakis as casual enough that they work better with less casual shoes than wingtips. Personally I would go with one of their loafers, maybe the full strap if the LHS is too casual for you, but if you need a lace-up shoe, consider a Norwegian split toe.

drpeter

I agree with all of @TKI67 's recommendations. The only thing I would add is that wingtips might just be all right if you are dressing up your khakis (especially trousers that are a bit more formal, having a smooth finish) with a blazer and tie.

Also, wingtips come in a large variety of styles and colours, and some are muted -- darker leather, fainter brogueing. short wings as opposed to long. I think the more muted wingtips might also be all right with casual khakis. The best part of khakis is that they are fairly neutral ground for combining with all sorts of other pieces, whether shirts, trousers or shoes. Even ties.

Last edited:

jon44

but if you need a lace-up shoe, consider a Norwegian split toe.
Thanks--my "issues" do demand lace-ups and the split toe shoe Alden offer (#968) also comes in the last that works for me (Aberdeen). But.. while the shoe looks great on websites from the top and the side, in the pictures from the front, that seam just jumps out to my eyes and leaves doubts....

TKI67

Advanced Member
Thanks--my "issues" do demand lace-ups and the split toe shoe Alden offer (#968) also comes in the last that works for me (Aberdeen). But.. while the shoe looks great on websites from the top and the side, in the pictures from the front, that seam just jumps out to my eyes and leaves doubts....
It is a distinctive feature, and if it makes you uncomfortable I certainly understand. I think it is a spectacular classic, and if I wore lace up shoes I'd probably get a pair, but as they say YMMV. Other than athletic shoes, golf shoes, and Maliseets, I have not worn lace up shoes in about thirty years! My feet have issues that require soft and roomy toe boxes. 563 tassel loafers are my "dress" shoes.

jon44

I think it is a spectacular classic,
Thanks again for the encouragement. As Alden really just offers two designs in what I want--Aberdeen, double thick soles--I may order a pair just to see what they look like in person before committing to the special size I need.
(P.s., just checked out again and noted that in the lighter brown color, the front seam looks more "harmonious" to me.)
1616767414873.png

Last edited:

TKI67

Advanced Member
Thanks again for the encouragement. As Alden really just offers two designs in what I want--Aberdeen, double thick soles--I may order a pair just to see what they look like in person before committing to the special size I need.
I agree it is a comfortable last. It is the same last they use for their tassel loafers.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.