Acct2000

Connoisseur - Moderator
Wow. I'm not happy about it, but I generally wear masks. Our Michigan governor, who has pushed people to accost people not wearing masks is probably proud. Someone who was not happy about being served at a Quality Dairy store near Lansing, MI, where I live accosted someone who was not happy about being refused service because he was not wearing a mask.

The non-mask guy (age 43) stabbed his 77 year old accoster, who lived and is in the hospital. The stabber was chased down by police and was shot when he refused to drop his knife.

This whole thing is escalating more and more with people going berzerk on both ends. I hope lefties and righties are both proud of themselves.

When we need to respect, communicate and learn the most, the ends of the spectrum are gleefully promoting violence. I wish the middle would rise and vote nearly all the current extremist politicians ON BOTH SIDES out of office.

This just happened around noon today. The stabber has died from his bullet wounds.

I'm just hoping the extremists are loving their "victory." I would hate to see their desire to push their will on others no matter what go unfulfilled, you know. (That last sentence was sarcasm.)

As far as I can see, this is what the Covid "crisis" is really all about.

Big T

I cannot comprehend how some get themselves worked supporting either side and your descriptive word "gleefully" tells the tale. I fear our country has truly become a land of lemmings.

I don't care what others might do, but I have (and will) continue to wear a mask. I hope others don't mind me not being chummy or touch-feely, but quite frankly, I am not ready to meet my maker, as I got way too many amends to make before that time!

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
Wow. I'm not happy about it, but I generally wear masks. Our Michigan governor, who has pushed people to accost people not wearing masks is probably proud. Someone who was not happy about being served at a Quality Dairy store near Lansing, MI, where I live accosted someone who was not happy about being refused service because he was not wearing a mask.

The non-mask guy (age 43) stabbed his 77 year old accoster, who lived and is in the hospital. The stabber was chased down by police and was shot when he refused to drop his knife.

This whole thing is escalating more and more with people going berzerk on both ends. I hope lefties and righties are both proud of themselves.

When we need to respect, communicate and learn the most, the ends of the spectrum are gleefully promoting violence. I wish the middle would rise and vote nearly all the current extremist politicians ON BOTH SIDES out of office.

This just happened around noon today. The stabber has died from his bullet wounds.

I'm just hoping the extremists are loving their "victory." I would hate to see their desire to push their will on others no matter what go unfulfilled, you know. (That last sentence was sarcasm.)

As far as I can see, this is what the Covid "crisis" is really all about.
I share your basic sentiment, but to be fair I am not aware of anybody on the Left who is in a position of responsibility actually promoting violence, even if there are a few who flirt with excusing it. I'm not aware of anyone on the Right who is in a position of responsibility promoting or excusing violence.

The politically-charged violence we have seen and experienced recently is driven by a disordered "rush" of anger grounded in an exaggerated sense of grievance. Tragically, there are people in positions of responsibility who have cultivated and encouraged that sense of grievance with impressive intentionality. In some cases their positions are dependent on it.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
A quarter million dead by Christmas?

The IHME projections for the progress of Covid-19, which have gone up, down and sideways as it's been readjusted for changing circumstances now has U.S. fatalities on track for around a quarter million dead by Christamas. The forecast period has currently been extended only to November 1st, but projects 224,000 dead by that time, and the death rate still accelerating. Plotting the daily death rate projected as of the November 1st date out another 7 weeks yields over a quarter million dead.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member

The IHME projections for the progress of Covid-19, which have gone up, down and sideways as it's been readjusted for changing circumstances now has U.S. fatalities on track for around a quarter million dead by Christamas. The forecast period has currently been extended only to November 1st, but projects 224,000 dead by that time, and the death rate still accelerating. Plotting the daily death rate projected as of the November 1st date out another 7 weeks yields over a quarter million dead.

And add the inevitable flu numbers to these for a particularly un-joyous holiday season.

Cheers,

BSR

challer

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
While COVID infection rates are up, the death rate is down more than 75% from the peak, not accelerating. Given the financial incentives of hospitals to intentionally misreport C19 deaths (reimbursement triples), we in the industry know the deaths are over reported but by how much is not knowable. The irony is that preventable health deaths far exceed what C19 might do. There is irony observing a person in line for McDonalds wearing a mask. Hospital mistakes cause about 500,000 deaths/year, about twice C19 projections. Tens of thousands have died putting off need medical procedures, substance abuse, and suicide. There are always two sides to it and striking the balance is challenging.

G

Guest-471312

While COVID infection rates are up, the death rate is down more than 75% from the peak, not accelerating. Given the financial incentives of hospitals to intentionally misreport C19 deaths (reimbursement triples), we in the industry know the deaths are over reported but by how much is not knowable. The irony is that preventable health deaths far exceed what C19 might do. There is irony observing a person in line for McDonalds wearing a mask. Hospital mistakes cause about 500,000 deaths/year, about twice C19 projections. Tens of thousands have died putting off need medical procedures, substance abuse, and suicide. There are always two sides to it and striking the balance is challenging.
How can this person be allowed to continually promote misleading and erroneous information on this site?
From the beginning of this pandemic he has decried it, minimised it, and professed a knowledge of facts which has been proven wrong time and time again.

No wonder you are loading members when you give people like this a voice.

Flanderian

Connoisseur

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
While hospitals are paid a 20% premium for accepting patients to be treated for COVID, there is no evidence (yet) of hospitals gaming the system. That said, a person who follows hospital industry financial news would not bet too much in favor of hospital integrity. Moreover, even if relaxing the threshold for COVID admissions might be appropriate (or at least supportable as such), such changes would necessarily render longitudinal hospital admission comparisons deceptive.

The Forbes article included a couple of benign facts and then added a ton of innuendo, surmise, and speculation. It's a good example for what passes as journalism these days.

Last edited:

challer

Interesting but not relevant. I work with hospitals everyday. The ERs are generally very quiet. Of course Trump doesn't want over reporting of C19 and as a taxpayer neither do I. Hospital admins I know very well confirm, $12K for flu, $30+ for C19 with a ventilator. And the CDC has proven themselves fools throughout the whole thing. There is plenty of evidence hospitals are gaming the system but don't expect to see it reported. Hospitals game reimbursement on all matters.

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
...article included a couple of benign facts and then added a ton of innuendo, surmise, and speculation. It's a good example for what passes as journalism these days.
I couldn't agree with you more on this, regarding the media at-large.

Phrases like "there is no evidence" are used to justify the writer's (or reporter's) opinion only. Or used by others to validate that their opinion is the correct one.

Maybe there is evidence, but no one is exposing it at the moment -- or ever. Normally when people are doing bad things, they go out of their way to do a good job of hiding it.

To think that a system designed to be paid/reimbursed by insurance can't be or isn't being gamed is naive at best.

Is there systemic abuse & mis-reporting? I don't know. Is it happening, most likely.

Big T

Here in Pennsyltucky, our governor has once again instituted confusing mandates: bars and night clubs shuttered. Restaurants restricted to 25% capacity. Alcoholic drinks only served at sit-down restaurants and so forth. People work from home, if they can. Masks worn when you leave your home. Crowds limited to between 25 and 250 people (depending upon type of gathering).

I'm just a dumb, old manufacturing plant owner and here in PA, we have some very rural areas (my area) and densely populated areas (Philly, Pittsburgh). Our area still pretty much rolls up the carpet around 10 to 11PM. Our cases of infection are very low, with one death in our tri-county area.

I remain very, very puzzled with cookie cutter approaches to combatting this virus and further why accelerated efforts into contact tracing, is not taking place.

ChrisRS

It’s humorous to go back and read this from the beginning. I have (had) it and am now symptom free. More than a few in my family have it to varying degrees of severity. Go ahead, ask me anything.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
^

How old are you?
What were your symtoms?
How soon after symtoms were you tested?
Hospitalized ?
Start to finish, how long?
Residuals?
Knowledge of how caught?.
What sort of doctor, PCP?
How much out of pocket?

Congratulations, because I can't think of anything more appropriate to say to someone recovered.

ChrisRS

^

How old are you?
What were your symtoms?
How soon after symtoms were you tested?
Hospitalized ?
Start to finish, how long?
Residuals?
Knowledge of how caught?.
What sort of doctor, PCP?
How much out of pocket?

Congratulations, because I can't think of anything more appropriate to say to someone recovered.
I am mid-50s in good health.
Fever and body ache the first three days followed by constant headache for two more days.
Not hospitalized, managed symptoms using over the counter medications.
No residuals
No idea how I got it. I follow the rules for being in public and work requires maintaining appropriate social distancing. No known contact with anyone symptomatic. It did start with me. My wife developed symptoms three days after me.
No doctor. Has a test performed at CVS because of my symptoms and an abundance of caution. By the time I got my positive test results back, I was symptom free. As a result, nothing out of pocket for me.

My wife is a different story. She is undergoing a “second week decomposition”. Apparently this is well known in the medical community, not well reported to the public, at least from my news sources. She is in the hospital, the primary concern being low blood oxygen. All other markers and tests are normal.

ChrisRS

You are correct. Had it not been for the notoriety of 19, I would have treated it as a normal summer crud.

I’m glad I got tested because it helped frame my wife’s illness. She had fever, body aches and a sore throat for about four days. Having gotten past that and feeling better for a couple of days, she quickly declined into a persistant cough and shallow breathing. Easy decision to bring her to the ER.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
You are correct. Had it not been for the notoriety of 19, I would have treated it as a normal summer crud.

I’m glad I got tested because it helped frame my wife’s illness. She had fever, body aches and a sore throat for about four days. Having gotten past that and feeling better for a couple of days, she quickly declined into a persistant cough and shallow breathing. Easy decision to bring her to the ER.
Editing note. When Chris, above, says, "You are correct", he is referring to a ghost post, something I wrote about his illness that also contained personal info which I belatedly decided against sharing, so took the post down.

Chris, sorry to hear about your wife, but it seems toughness might run in your neighborhood and hope her ilness is fleeting. Best.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Chris, with your permission I will keep you and your wife in our thoughts and prayers...here's to a quick and complete recovery!
;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.