Flanderian

Connoisseur
I am mid-50s in good health.
Fever and body ache the first three days followed by constant headache for two more days.
Not hospitalized, managed symptoms using over the counter medications.
No residuals
No idea how I got it. I follow the rules for being in public and work requires maintaining appropriate social distancing. No known contact with anyone symptomatic. It did start with me. My wife developed symptoms three days after me.
No doctor. Has a test performed at CVS because of my symptoms and an abundance of caution. By the time I got my positive test results back, I was symptom free. As a result, nothing out of pocket for me.

My wife is a different story. She is undergoing a “second week decomposition”. Apparently this is well known in the medical community, not well reported to the public, at least from my news sources. She is in the hospital, the primary concern being low blood oxygen. All other markers and tests are normal.
Thanks for offering your first-hand experience with this. Delighted you've come round so well, and have every hope your wife will soon be joining you!

👍 👍 👍

Dhaller

Advanced Member

We could have one or more approved by the end of the year.
Hope abides!

My daughter's 8th birthday is tomorrow.

Historically, she's always had the big shindig (we did a ninja training camp last year, bringing in a Parkour instructor to teach wall-running and the like... good times), usually around 40-50 people. This year, just the three of us (Dad, Mom, daughter). Of course, she is so *uncomplaining* - in many ways kids better weather the vicissitudes of random chance better than adults - which I appreciate, but still, it is very frustrating indeed.

Yes, First World Problems, but sometimes it's the little things that bring calamity into focus.

DH

Big T

Though I was not anywhere approaching a fan (or even liking him!), Donald Rumsfield had a saying very appropriate to our understanding of the COVID pandemic, and this understanding the unknown unknowns. No amount of blather from any politician helps, and badgering of medical people exaccerbates the situation (I'm referring to JimJordan's grilling of Dr. Fauci, yesterday).

Individual application of common sense, is much needed, to permit us to reach the time when vaccines will be available.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Though I was not anywhere approaching a fan (or even liking him!), Donald Rumsfield had a saying very appropriate to our understanding of the COVID pandemic, and this understanding the unknown unknowns. No amount of blather from any politician helps, and badgering of medical people exaccerbates the situation (I'm referring to JimJordan's grilling of Dr. Fauci, yesterday).

Individual application of common sense, is much needed, to permit us to reach the time when vaccines will be available.
IMHO you are spot-on with your assessment. We, the American people, have so unnecessarily complicated this pandemic response process. We are quick to lay it all on the politicians, but the reality is so many of us have failed to recognize and accept our individual responsibility...1) avoid crowds; 2) wash our hands properly and as frequently as necessary and 3) wear a mask and if necessary, protective gloves when we must go out. While it is true that virtually all of our elective officials in both the Executive and Legislative Branches of our Federal government bring nothing of value to the plate, that does not excuse any one of us for abdicating our personal responsibilities. We are the key to our personal survival...not the politicians! ;)

Flanderian

Connoisseur

IMHO you are spot-on with your assessment. We, the American people, have so unnecessarily complicated this pandemic response process. We are quick to lay it all on the politicians, but the reality is so many of us have failed to recognize and accept our individual responsibility...1) avoid crowds; 2) wash our hands properly and as frequently as necessary and 3) wear a mask and if necessary, protective gloves when we must go out. While it is true that virtually all of our elective officials in both the Executive and Legislative Branches of our Federal government bring nothing of value to the plate, that does not excuse any one of us for abdicating our personal responsibilities. We are the key to our personal survival...not the politicians! ;)
+1! 👍 👍 👍

Flanderian

Connoisseur
The IHME has updated their projections for Covid-19 from a few weeks ago. They have now extended the projection to December 1st. And rather than in the last projection which projected a quarter million dead by Christmas, it now projects a quarter million dead before Thanksgiving, with almost 300,000 dead by December 1st. They've updated their projections many times, let's hope their wrong.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

The Irishman

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Here in Ireland we are in a situation where following a quite strict 'lockdown' we have seen a resurgence of the virus in several counties. Daily case numbers have risen again. On the plus side, there seems to be less community transmission than we feared, and the new clusters seem to mainly be related to specific sites that are associated with close working conditions and low paid (often migrant) workers who are living together in pretty crowded accommodation.

This spike in cases has been a bit of a dry-run for us to see whether we will go back to a strict lockdown or not. What seems to be being trialled is a kind of middle way where we have the public health advice and closure orders for certain things like gyms and restaurants and café bars within indoor seating only ... But we are allowing outdoor socially distanced sports training to continue, playgrounds remain open, outdoor restaurant seating continues and so on. We have travel restrictions for the worst affected counties, but police are giving advice only - there is no enforcement possible, unlike during lockdown.

My feeling is that this somewhat lighter approach to lockdown would likely be the model replicated elsewhere in the country, and perhaps countrywide, if our numbers continue to creep up.

It seems that hospital admissions are down and deaths are down. I am not following this as closely as I once did, but my impression is that this is likely because our new clusters are largely affecting younger people and people of working age and they are generally recovering well. In comparison, our previous experience saw clusters in care homes which accounted for a large number of our serious cases and fatalities.

A major goal here is to see the full reopening of schools in September, and in general I would say that the desire for parents to go to school and for most workers to be able to work as "normally" as possible is now almost overwhelming in political terms. Unless we see something like a Northern Italy style crisis in the Winter then there is absolutely no appetite for further public health measures which will deepen the recession any more.

I would also say that even many doctors are warning the public health advice aimed at tackling the virus must be take into account the maths of 'competing mortalities', that is, that we cannot again have a system where diagnostics and treatment for other medical conditions is being deferred for weeks and months, and where people are discouraged from attending GP surgeries.

Financial supports in place for businesses and workers are gradually going to be withdrawn. Our pub sector remains closed and is unlikely to reopen for the foreseeable. Business insolvencies so far have not been as high as you would expect... But the financial supports disincentivised businesses from shutting up shop. When they go we will see a lot of businesses go to the wall, and then we will see this thing really bite. Not to be negative, but a cascade of mortgage defaults are inevitable. The only good thing for the people who will fall afoul of this in Ireland is that there is little appetite for evictions except in the most extreme cases and after many years of legal efforts.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Here in Ireland we are in a situation where following a quite strict 'lockdown' we have seen a resurgence of the virus in several counties. Daily case numbers have risen again. On the plus side, there seems to be less community transmission than we feared, and the new clusters seem to mainly be related to specific sites that are associated with close working conditions and low paid (often migrant) workers who are living together in pretty crowded accommodation.

This spike in cases has been a bit of a dry-run for us to see whether we will go back to a strict lockdown or not. What seems to be being trialled is a kind of middle way where we have the public health advice and closure orders for certain things like gyms and restaurants and café bars within indoor seating only ... But we are allowing outdoor socially distanced sports training to continue, playgrounds remain open, outdoor restaurant seating continues and so on. We have travel restrictions for the worst affected counties, but police are giving advice only - there is no enforcement possible, unlike during lockdown.

My feeling is that this somewhat lighter approach to lockdown would likely be the model replicated elsewhere in the country, and perhaps countrywide, if our numbers continue to creep up.

It seems that hospital admissions are down and deaths are down. I am not following this as closely as I once did, but my impression is that this is likely because our new clusters are largely affecting younger people and people of working age and they are generally recovering well. In comparison, our previous experience saw clusters in care homes which accounted for a large number of our serious cases and fatalities.

A major goal here is to see the full reopening of schools in September, and in general I would say that the desire for parents to go to school and for most workers to be able to work as "normally" as possible is now almost overwhelming in political terms. Unless we see something like a Northern Italy style crisis in the Winter then there is absolutely no appetite for further public health measures which will deepen the recession any more.

I would also say that even many doctors are warning the public health advice aimed at tackling the virus must be take into account the maths of 'competing mortalities', that is, that we cannot again have a system where diagnostics and treatment for other medical conditions is being deferred for weeks and months, and where people are discouraged from attending GP surgeries.

Financial supports in place for businesses and workers are gradually going to be withdrawn. Our pub sector remains closed and is unlikely to reopen for the foreseeable. Business insolvencies so far have not been as high as you would expect... But the financial supports disincentivised businesses from shutting up shop. When they go we will see a lot of businesses go to the wall, and then we will see this thing really bite. Not to be negative, but a cascade of mortgage defaults are inevitable. The only good thing for the people who will fall afoul of this in Ireland is that there is little appetite for evictions except in the most extreme cases and after many years of legal efforts.
Thank you for that very informative, thorough and very thoughtful status review of the Covid 19 threat in your area. You touch on an area that so many seem to overlook, as they consider this crisis...that is the post medical crisis long term financial realities with which we are most certainly going to be forced to deal. Our lives may never quite return to what they were prior to this pandemic! ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.