Mike Petrik

Honors Member
Agreed, so I'll clarify. I think the federal response (if you wish to consider their actions a "response") has been simply poor, full stop.

You statement, " Indeed, one can make a reasonable case the federal government's supportive response would have been adequate if states had been properly prepared" is something I simply disagree with. I don't believe there's a reasonable case that can be made to defend this administration's actions in response to the pandemic.

And I consider myself someone inclined to give any administration the benefit of the doubt, and won't persecute them over the timeliness of their initial response, because so much was unclear.

But the actions once it became more clear that this was a global pandemic IMO were more than lacking, they were made not with the public health of Americans in mind, but with the focus on how this might affect the perceptions of Americans regarding the economy.

Which in turn led to manipulation and interference with otherwise well-intentioned public health experts in this administration who had both efforts and statements edited to fit a reelection narrative.
The fact that states had inadequate PPE, beds, respirators, etc. is 100% on them. Inexcusable. The federal government did a Herculean job of filling that breach IMO.

The fact that states looked to the federal government for guidance on what to do during a pandemic is also inexcusable. This is exactly what states should have been prepared for.

I am convinced that the Trump Administration messaging was very imperfect, but in the big picture of things this was a comparatively minor failure.

Tiger

Advanced Member
I believe the first step in determining if there's a federal role in this or any instance is to locate the part of the Constitution (the document that specifies the powers that the federal government possesses) that delegates which branch, if any, has that power.

If no such power has been given to any part of the federal government, that power belongs to the states and their people. That is the underlying governmental logic (the system of "federalism") of the Constitution, and lest we believe that it is "merely" implicit, such logic is certainly made explicit by the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution.

Ignoring the Constitution has been the recipe for creating the behemoth that is now the federal government, destroying the notion of limited central government that the overwhelming number of the founding generation desired - and with very good reason!

Of course, if certain powers are deemed desirable for the federal government to possess, Article V of the Constitution delineates the amendment procedure...and requires the ratification of 75% of the states, also for very good reason.

winghus

Not sure what you mean.
That (i) under our legal system states bear the primary responsibility for public health and (ii) virtually all (red and blue) were grossly inadequately prepared for a serious respiratory virus epidemic are pretty much unassailable observations, are they not?
My statement was the implication that the Democrat-run states were where all the trouble was and it was because they were Democratic-run. Take a look at a COVID map now and where the cases have been rising sharply the few months.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
My statement was the implication that the Democrat-run states were where all the trouble was and it was because they were Democratic-run. Take a look at a COVID map now and where the cases have been rising sharply the few months.
Fair enough, but I think you may have been drawing an unfair inference. The post's criticism was leveled at states generally noting that his own state specifically dropped the ball even though one party had complete power. But yes, perhaps it was a partisan shot.

With respect to handling the pandemic I have generally not been critical of governors, Dem or GOP, because there is simply no perfect solution. There are so many competing considerations, medical, social, and economic. But these difficult balancing acts do not apply to preparation, and on that score I can only hope states have learned an important lesson.

Last edited:

Howard

Connoisseur
My Mother has it, she's having some coughing fits, My Father will be home real soon from the hospital and yesterday after waiting 3 hours on line got tested for coronavirus and came back negative so that's some good news.

Big T

My Mother has it, she's having some coughing fits, My Father will be home real soon from the hospital and yesterday after waiting 3 hours on line got tested for coronavirus and came back negative so that's some good news.
Hoping for the best for them and I will say a prayer tonight for their recovery.

T

Howard

Connoisseur
Hoping for the best for them and I will say a prayer tonight for their recovery.

T

Thank You, My Mother is panicking cause she don't know what to do, I'm trying my best to take care of her but what she really needs is a hospital right now to take care of her symptoms.

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Howard, I am saddened to hear of the medical trials with which you and your parents are having to contend. If you haven't a;ready done so, call your family doctor and seek his guidance on how to deal with your mothers symptoms. Should the doctor recommend your mother needs hospitalization, get her there as soon as possible. My wife and I will keep you and yours in our prayers. Take care my friend.

Howard

Connoisseur
Please be safe Howard and good thoughts for your parents quick healing. Thanks for letting us all know.
Tom
I was tested negative which is good on my part so I'm not symptomatic at all but My Father has the COVID and My Mother is panicking so as of this writing she didn't need a hospital after all but just take cough medicine and drink lots of water.

Howard

Connoisseur
Howard, I am saddened to hear of the medical trials with which you and your parents are having to contend. If you haven't a;ready done so, call your family doctor and seek his guidance on how to deal with your mothers symptoms. Should the doctor recommend your mother needs hospitalization, get her there as soon as possible. My wife and I will keep you and yours in our prayers. Take care my friend.

She chose no hospitalization and an ambulance so she will take cough medicine and drink loads of water but all in all she has me which right now I'm her only son that she has and I'll do my best to help her out as much as I can. :)

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
She chose no hospitalization and an ambulance so she will take cough medicine and drink loads of water but all in all she has me which right now I'm her only son that she has and I'll do my best to help her out as much as I can. :)
Your family doctor might be able to provide prescriptions for medications that might provide some relief for your mom's symptoms.

Howard

Connoisseur
Has anyone gotten calls from The COVID Test And Trace lately, They want you to fill out a form to make sure you're alright and feeling OK every day up until this isolation is over. They want you to stay home until December 8th and I already told the front end supervisor December 3rd that I will return to work and I'm not taking anymore days off, I already told her and that's that.

Big T

Has anyone gotten calls from The COVID Test And Trace lately, They want you to fill out a form to make sure you're alright and feeling OK every day up until this isolation is over. They want you to stay home until December 8th and I already told the front end supervisor December 3rd that I will return to work and I'm not taking anymore days off, I already told her and that's that.
Howard, do what you gotta do! No one will think anything less of you! Only be mindful that you were exposed & might get COVID. Wear a mask, and try to keep as much distance between yourself and others.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals