Retired EE

Interesting newspaper article on the "Spanish Flu" in my great-grandfather's hometown paper. Provides a contemporary point of view towards that pandemic. Scroll down to the November 1, 1918 edition, page 3 "Spanish Influenza-- What It Is and How it Should be treated", and on page 4 "Uncle Sam's Advice on the Flu".

Here's the link: http://alexoklahoma.net/alexhistory/trib/newspapers/1918/1918.Pt4.Oct-Dec.pdf

From the 2nd article: ..."Coughs and Sneezes Spread Diseases"

Found this while searching for my great-grandfather's obituary, who died of the Spanish flu.

Last edited:

Big T

That's what I've been doing lately, practicing social distancing, wear face masks and use hand sanitizer.
Common sense stuff, Howard! Do the things we do in flu and cold season, including staying away from crowds or going anywhere construed as “at risk, non-essential gathering”.

Howard

Connoisseur
Common sense stuff, Howard! Do the things we do in flu and cold season, including staying away from crowds or going anywhere construed as “at risk, non-essential gathering”.

That's what I've been doing but where I work it's hard to avoid crowds as I'm a cart attendant at Stop N Shop.

Howard

Connoisseur
My Mother is doing well, they're giving her medicine to treat blood clot on the lungs due to coronavirus and My Father is getting his voice back slowly but surely, some days can't get his head on straight.

And for the 2nd time I tested negative. :)

Howard

Connoisseur
Good news Howard. Keep on keeping on.

Thanks Ran, I'm feeling better, got my scent back.

I think being tested 2 times is enough I can't stand waiting on a stupid line to get tested waiting for the doors to open even if it's outside in the cold once for 3 1/2 hours and the other for about an hour and a half, never again. :angry:

Howard

Connoisseur
But the problem is she can't come home just yet until she tests negative and now My Mother knows how serious this pandemic has been over the past number of months.

Howard

Connoisseur
My Mother is doing better, she has tested negative a second time so now she will get rehab and she will be back home in 14 days, probably after Christmas or early 2021.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I was rather saddened to hear on the evening newscast Tuesday evening that the number of American losses due to this damned pandemic exceeded the number of American lives lost during WWII. The news was made even more poignant by my wife's 95 year old uncle dying at the hands of the Covid 19 virus on Monday. Her uncle was a grand old country gentleman, one of the American survivors of WWII, having been decorated for valor By General Mark Clark and after experiencing the many horrors of combat, he was one of the lucky one's who returned home, got married and worked at General Motors for most of his adult life.After retiring he and his family returned to the land and homestead where he had been born and raised. His children were raised on those same acres and he was still living independently at 95 years of age, when the covid 19 virus took this wonderful gentleman from us. What the Axis powers couldn't do the covid virus did in a period of two weeks. He will be greatly missed!

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I am scheduled to go to the Portland VA for my first vaccination this afternoon. Another one in three weeks and I can travel again. Eagle, have they contacted you about an appointment?
Not yet. Our local Publix is supposed to be giving the vaccinations in the near future. In the mean time, we are continuing to spend a lot of time at home! . .;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.