Three Button

I have not worn corduroy pants in ages. But they would be handy for the winter so I am thinking about buying a pair or two. That raises the question whether to cuff or not to cuff. I've always heard that one never wears cuffs on corduroy pants. Has anyone else hear this "rule?"

ToryBoy

Elite Member
In my opinion cuffs should not be on traditional formal/semiformal-wear (white and black tie) and casual trousers/denim like jeans, blended trousers, chinos and cords.

I suppose it all depends on how you would define cords and where you will wear them.

cycliste1

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Never heard the "no cuffing" rule. About 10 years ago I remember buying wide-wale pre-shortened cords at Brooks and they had cuffs on them.

I don't think there is a definitive answer. It is definitely a more conservative look to go with the cuffs. When I think of cuffs on cords I think of them with nice tasseled Aldens.

agnash

None for me anymore

I've taken the cuffs out of the few pairs of cords I own. I had them put there because that is what I do with most of my pants, but found the cuff too heavy on cords. I seem to remember being told once upon a time that cuffs are useful in helping trousers hang properly, but I don't think cords have that problem.

As a final note, I don't like cuffs on unpressed trousers. Originally I did press my cords, but decided the results were not worth the effort.

Duck

I cuff them. I have a pair that has no cuffs and they look silly. The cuff brings a nice formality to a pair of pants. They make it easier to pair with a jacket and a tie. The only time I wear uncuffed pants is formal wear and when I am on the farm wearing a pair of Redwings.

Wyvern1138

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
+1 for cuffs. With the exceptions of formal/semiformal trouser, jeans and sweatpants, I normally have all my pants cuffed, although I suppose that there are some very casual versions of khakis that would look better without cuffs.

Earl of Ormonde

Connoisseur
Although clearly a "trad" detail, cuffed cords because of the heavier material weight look bloody awful in my opinion. I feel the same about any heavier cuffed trousers, for example, woollen and tweed.

Sartre

I have a pair of heavy moleskins from Ben Silver and a pair of fairly light ones from Orvis. Both are cuffed (as are all of my trousers).

TMMKC

Honors Member
IMO, cords look fine either way.

My Bills and Berle cords are cuffed. The B2 Hudson cords I got this year came uncuffed; the length was fine so kept them as-is. Come to think of it, I believe they're only the second pair of wide-wale cords I've ever owned that that I didn't get cuffed (save some bright red GTH cords I had in the 1980s).

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
One of my four pair of cords are cuffed...that seems to work for me. They do seem to catch a lot of debris in the cuff. Even so, the next pair I buy will also be cuffed! ;)

Solomander

All of my cords are cuffed. If I had fine wale cords cut like jeans, I wouldn't cuff them. OTOH, 90% of my trousers are cuffed. Picked the habit up young.

Joel

All of my trousers are cuffed - I don't wear jeans nor a dinner suit - but I have one pair of wide wale cords from which I am having the cuffs removed as the material is so thick it is more like a fold than a cuff. I like cuffs in my narrow wale cords.

I never heard of any rule that applied to cords, but if there is one, I will happily ignore it.

Intrepid

You either like cuffs, or don't. Personal taste. For those that like cuffs, some very heavy fabric doesn't lend itself to being cuffed.

The reason is that cuffing very heavy fabric yields a bulky cuff, that seems unattractive.

With cords, it depends on whether you like cuffs or not, and if so, how heavy the cord fabric is.

As was mentioned above, Bills narrow wale is not terribly heavy, and looks dressy enough to go with a blazer and tie, in the view of many. These Bills seem to work fine, when cuffed.

OTOH, Bills flannel lined have a fairly bulky cuff, because of the layer of flannel that has to be folded in the cuff. You may want to have these finished with a plain bottom.

Whole bunch of posts with the bottom line, of do whatever you choose.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange