mipcar

Inactive user
Picked up a shirt from an Op-shop and on the collar was the label saying:

Made to Measure
Arthur Garstang (in scroll lettering)
Of Blackburn.

Inside was another small label which I found later which said.

A. Garstang & Co. of Blackburn

Then the usual care instructions then Made in England.

There is nothing really remarkable about the shirt itself in fact it's only 65%poly/35% cotton blend.. Has removable collar stays but that's about it.

Just curious to know about the maker.

Mychael

G

Guest-937544

My dad ordered a bunch of these shirts back in the early 60s. They were no more expensive than Austin Reed's efforts and lasted well.
Not so much a la mode but definitely "reliable", good wellmade shirts.
Recalling this I have just looked up Garstang A on Google earth and, to my surprise, they're still going. Looks like a dirty ancient sweat-shop above a bar on Newton St.
No internet presence so I assume a Dickensian scene with a nicotine-stined old dude ruling a room-ful of old ladies in pinafores and curlers hunched over the Singers. Back in the 60s they would send you some shirtngs swatches to choose from. Praps' I'll do that eh? ask for swatches -now Austin Reed has gone the way of the dodo.

G

Guest-507915

I also ordered three or four shirts from Garstang's, late 1960s or early 70s. I had seen their ad in some magazine, presumably an English magazine. They sent me a thick envelope with fabric samples and ordering instructions. I must have done the measurements correctly because they all fit perfectly. They had stiff ("Trubenized") collars, something I particularly wanted. I never ordered any more, though I have searched for them on-line to no avail.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.