Curry, anyone?

Earl of Ormonde

Connoisseur
I notice that none of you are using more than the most simple spices and seasonings in your Indian cooking, having missed out some of the most essential ones....bloody amateurs ;) :)

No one has yet mentioned the very important ingredients that are absolute basics required for a number of dishes: Asafoetida, Carom, Besan, Black cardamom, Chironji nuts, Curry leaf, Dal, Garam Masala, Jaggery, Mace, Nigella, Poppy seeds, Saffron, Star anise, Tamarind.

Have none of you ever tasted the wonderful Tamarind fruit and the chutney that is made from it?

Amateurs!, bloody amateurs ;) :) Next, I suppose some of you are going to tell me you don't use real butter or ghee when cooking! That instead you use some low-fat nonsense or olive oil!...plagued by bloody amateurs, so I am! ;) :)

Kudos to Ajo for at least mentioning Black cumin.

Centaur

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Ormonde,
I freely and happily admit to the status of complete and utter amateur, both in the field of curry and so many other endeavours of my dilettante existence. That I find is the essence of so much fun.

I started off reading Madhur Jaffery and copied religiously many, many of her recipes, but very quickly found myself slipping down the slippery slopes of ad-hoc improvisation and rank cheating, to save time, or because the correct ingredients were unavailable, or just for the sheer hell of it. Great fun, as I say. Now, I'm just a blithe, carefree self-confessed cheat and imposter.

I didn't mention my use of tamarind, did I? That's quite effective; Padme's and Ajo's posts have reminded me of a different curry I sometimes make using butternut squash, coconut milk, lemongrass, profuse amounts of fresh coriander, red chillies, a whole lime, and cardomom - not really Indian at all, I read about it somewhere but lost the recipe and was never entirely sure whether it was SE Asian or what.

Mike, I really think you should start a thread elsewhere about your revolting Chinese eating experiences.:icon_pale:

Earl of Ormonde

Connoisseur
Ormonde,
I freely and happily admit to the status of complete and utter amateur, both in the field of curry and so many other endeavours of my dilettante existence. That I find is the essence of so much fun.

I started off reading Madhur Jaffery and copied religiously many, many of her recipes, but very quickly found myself slipping down the slippery slopes of ad-hoc improvisation and rank cheating, to save time, or because the correct ingredients were unavailable, or just for the sheer hell of it. Great fun, as I say. Now, I'm just a blithe, carefree self-confessed cheat and imposter.

:) :) :) Okay, you've called my bluff, of course I cheat as well ;) BUT as you rightly point out quite often because "the correct ingredients are unavailable" Especially in Sweden!
But yes, also to make it easier and to experiment of course.;)
For me the joy of cooking is all about having fun and creating new tastes.

ajo

I notice that none of you are using more than the most simple spices and seasonings in your Indian cooking, having missed out some of the most essential ones....bloody amateurs ;) :)

No one has yet mentioned the very important ingredients that are absolute basics required for a number of dishes: Asafoetida, Carom, Besan, Black cardamom, Chironji nuts, Curry leaf, Dal, Garam Masala, Jaggery, Mace, Nigella, Poppy seeds, Saffron, Star anise, Tamarind.

Have none of you ever tasted the wonderful Tamarind fruit and the chutney that is made from it?

Amateurs!, bloody amateurs ;) :) Next, I suppose some of you are going to tell me you don't use real butter or ghee when cooking! That instead you use some low-fat nonsense or olive oil!...plagued by bloody amateurs, so I am! ;) :)

Ho hum yes I do use Cassia bark instead of Cinnamon. Hing or Asafoetida instead of Garlic. And switch between Fennel and Star Anise, depending on the result I want to achieve. And as for Tamarind yes its good with tomato based curries but for me they are a summer curry. As for mace well you nutmeg.

As for Gram Masala its just made up from Cumin Coriander seeds, black pepper, ginger powder cardamon cloves cinnamon and bay leaves.

class dismissed;)

ajo

Ormonde,

I didn't mention my use of tamarind, did I? That's quite effective; Padme's and Ajo's posts have reminded me of a different curry I sometimes make using butternut squash, coconut milk, lemongrass, profuse amounts of fresh coriander, red chillies, a whole lime, and cardomom - not really Indian at all, I read about it somewhere but lost the recipe and was never entirely sure whether it was SE Asian or what.

Mike, I really think you should start a thread elsewhere about your revolting Chinese eating experiences.:icon_pale:

As for Asian the one book you should have is Charmaine Solomon Complete Asian Cookbook

Kim

Starting Member
I like thai food, especially Thai Coconut Chicken Curry. I has test many kind of Thai curry food.
Example: Thai Red Chicken Curry,
Thai curry noodles,
Thai Green Curry with Chicken.
Mostly in Thailand cook curry with chicken hmm...yum yum!!....Your must to test it.:)

turban1

a song about curry

Curry Again

Lord Buddha was born in Lumbini and forsook all the pleasures of man,
To live like a beggar among us and reveal the world’s intricate plan.
Hungry from long meditation, he picked up his begging bowl then
Cried out in intense irritation, ‘Dammit, it’s curry again!’
And it’s curry again and it’s curry again, and on ‘til the universe ends;
We’d all curry favour for any new flavour but, dammit, it’s curry again!

Alexander crossed the mountains and down to the Indus he came;
From Macedon to Samarkhand all people knew his name;
He marched with forty legions, and said ‘Come feed my men,’
Then he looked in his plate and was said to relate, ‘Dammit, it’s curry again!’
(Chorus)

Ben Avery was a pirate bold who captured the Moghul fleet,
He counted the plate and he counted the gold, and said ‘Cook, bring me something to eat!
‘I’ve been living on Navy biscuits, the hardness you can’t comprehend,’
Then he threw down his spoon and he picked up his sword and roared, “Dammit, it’s curry again!’
(Chorus)

Lord Curzon held a great durbar to welcome old George, the king,
Who sailed from his palace in England, the empire his praises to sing;
With thousands of subjects before them, Lord Curzon, his viceroy and friend,
Peered in the platter and asked what’s the matter. The king said ‘It’th curry again!’
(Chorus)

Today we work in Afghanistan amid all the dust and the heat,
And while it is more than a man can stand, we long for something to eat.
Around us the war wages fury, the Afghans reach out for a friend,
And if that means we have to eat curry, well, dammit it’s curry again.
(Chorus)

S Masty 1988

Country Irish

I lack the skill to do elaborate curry dishes at home but find that with both chicken and flounder, a hint of curry powder transforms both from mundane to special. I had to laugh when I served flounder plain for one lady who was not familiar with curry and myself a curry enhanced portion. The lady wanted to try one bite of mine just for the experience. She ended up leaning over the table eating all of mine and I retired to the kitchen to make another batch of both of us.
It seems that the only people who don't like curry are the ones who have never tried it.

Douglas Brisbane Gray

Black onion seed, Amchoor (dried sour mango powder still pretty sweet), I was going to say Ajwan but while googling to check the spelling discovered it's also called Carom.

Handvo with date and tamarind sauce - a savoury cake from south Kerella. Best picnic food ever.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.