Daks waistband and American trad...

Nathan Detroit

Just bought a pair of Daks waistband cords, and am wondering where they stand vis-a-vis American trad? Of course they are flat front and uncuffed... Would be curious to know if I am beyond the pale or this is an excusable eccentricity!

Horace

quote:Originally posted by Nathan Detroit

Just bought a pair of Daks waistband cords, and am wondering where they stand vis-a-vis American trad? Of course they are flat front and uncuffed... Would be curious to know if I am beyond the pale or this is an excusable eccentricity!

Dunno if they are awarded Trad Status but I like the Daks waistband in lieu of a belt or braces. Would like to have a few flannel trousers of this type.

tintin

The origin is English and I consequently Trad. I have picked up a number of Daks from Polo but have never seen cords except in the UK. Where did you find them?

Brideshead

They look good to me. Were they made in England/UK? I have a four year old Daks suit in dark grey pinstripe that is of very classic design and apparently very well made (in the UK). I ordered a similar navy one recently and when it eventually came I had to reject it. The fit is no longer as good, the quality of fabric appeared cheaper and it was made abroad - can't recall where.

stylestudent

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
If trad is defined as an item carried by Brooks, Press or Chipp in the late '50s or early '60s, then no. Flusser writes that the "Daks" slack (an acronym combining "Dad" and "slacks") were designed as golf slacks in pre-war England and that "the genuine Daks top waist is expensive to manufacture and therefore typically found only on higher-priced ready-made or custom-tailored suit or sport trousers". Oxxford, Purple Label and Paul Stuart all offer this variety. As British-inspired, I'd think that a shaped and not sack jacket would look better with this style.

Steven

Leon

quote:Originally posted by Brideshead

They look good to me. Were they made in England/UK? I have a four year old Daks suit in dark grey pinstripe that is of very classic design and apparently very well made (in the UK). I ordered a similar navy one recently and when it eventually came I had to reject it. The fit is no longer as good, the quality of fabric appeared cheaper and it was made abroad - can't recall where.

Daks had a fashion make over, and Timothy Everest was appointed Group Creative Director a few years ago. i am sure quality slipped...

Leon

Brideshead

quote:Originally posted by Leon

quote:Originally posted by Brideshead

Daks had a fashion make over, and Timothy Everest was appointed Group Creative Director a few years ago. i am sure quality slipped...

Leon
A week ago I would have agreed. But yesterday I was pursuaded by my local outfitter to purchase the grey pinstripe suit they had got in for me. It is not made in the UK but the fit and quality seem very good. On comparing it with my 'proper' DAKs suit there are some pluses and minuses. The lining quality of the new one seems less good and so too the buttons. On the other hand the cut is more flattering and the fabric has a nicer feel. Clearly though the output is now inconsistent because the one they presented before Christmas really was crap!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.