upthewazzu

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Has anyone found a decent all-natural deodorant that doesn't contain aluminum? I've noticed over the past 6 months or so that no matter what kind of deodorant I use, I still sweat like mad. And with that sweat comes pit-stains, which are about to ruin a few of my nicer dark shirts. Is there an acceptable alternative?

hardline_42

Honors Member
There are lots of alternatives, but none of them are antiperspirants, which all contain aluminum.

Personally, I rotate between using an alum block, my wife's Tom's of Maine deodorant or a vodka/witch hazel combination, whichever is at arms reach (I use the alum block, marketed as "Thai Crystal" deodorant, as a blood coagulant for shaving, and the vodka/witch hazel as an aftershave). All of them work to eliminate the smell, caused by bacterial excretions, by creating an inhospitable environment for bacteria to grow yet they don't prevent the natural process of sweating. Anything that changes the pH level of the area (alum, baking soda) or a disinfectant (alcohol) will do the trick. To prevent moisture, it's best to keep underarm hair very short, or shave it completely, and add talcum powder to absorb the excess.

I know it seems like a lot to change, but I went from having to throw out shirts that were just a few months old because of thick, yellow pit-stains, to never having to worry about raising my arms in public again.

upthewazzu

You can also wear an undershirt. This will prevent stains in the armpits of your dress shirts and visible sweat rings.
I've been wearing undershirts since middle school. They don't seem to offer much resistance at this point.

Thanks, all for the tips. I like the advice to find something that neutralizes the smell, since preventing moisture seems to be a lost cause at this point.

Shaver

Suspended
Axillary Hyperhidrosis can be caused by several factors, not least of which can be diet.There may be avenues open to you to prevent the excessive sweating in the first place rather than just controlling its effect....

TheGreatTwizz

Advanced Member
To clarify, as has been addressed many times in the fora: The pit-stains are not caused by your sweat; they are caused by the aluminum of the deodorant. I've pondered switching with my new batch of Ribbed Tee shirts so they don't get stained.

tuckspub

I am very allergic to the aluminium in deodorant and antiperspirants and break out in a rash after a single use. The solution I have found is using Natural Mineral Salts. Crystal is the product that I have used for several years, it is not carried by alot of stores but Walgreens here in Dallas does stock it. It doesn't do much in the way of stopping you from sweating but you don't have the odor or mess of most products, it has no fragrance, no Aluminum Chlorohydrate and I think it does a great job. https://s1282.beta.photobucket.com/...t=3&o=1&_suid=1361550577420020748809051623151
I posted pictures of both front and back of the roll-on bottle so you can see the UPC and descriptive of the product.

Last edited:

upthewazzu

Axillary Hyperhidrosis can be caused by several factors, not least of which can be diet.There may be avenues open to you to prevent the excessive sweating in the first place rather than just controlling its effect....
Maybe you're insinuating that I'm fat, maybe you aren't. Please clarify.

L-feld

Advanced Member
I've had really good results with Trader Joe's brand antiperspirant. It contains cotton instead of aluminum to absorb sweat.

I sweat a very large amount and most normal antiperspirants don't control it.

The TJ antiperspirant works wonders and doesn't produce yellow stains since there is no aluminum.

Tom's is terrible. Stay away from it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

hardline_42

Honors Member
I am very allergic to the aluminium in deodorant and antiperspirants and break out in a rash after a single use. The solution I have found is using Natural Mineral Salts. Crystal is the product that I have used for several years, it is not carried by alot of stores but Walgreens here in Dallas does stock it. It doesn't do much in the way of stopping you from sweating but you don't have the odor or mess of most products, it has no fragrance, no Aluminum Chlorohydrate and I think it does a great job. https://s1282.beta.photobucket.com/...t=3&o=1&_suid=1361550577420020748809051623151
I posted pictures of both front and back of the roll-on bottle so you can see the UPC and descriptive of the product.
Any of the "crystal" type deodorants are just lumps of block alum with fancy packaging. Since the general public doesn't know what alum looks like anymore, most people assume it's a new/hard to find product. Any type of alum should do the trick (natural potassium alum or synthetic ammonium alum are the only two choices). Keep in mind, however, that alum is still "aluminum", just in a different form that is less easily absorbed by the skin. If you need to eliminate all of the aluminum, you'll have to go a different route.

upthewazzu

Any of the "crystal" type deodorants are just lumps of block alum with fancy packaging. Since the general public doesn't know what alum looks like anymore, most people assume it's a new/hard to find product. Any type of alum should do the trick (natural potassium alum or synthetic ammonium alum are the only two choices). Keep in mind, however, that alum is still "aluminum", just in a different form that is less easily absorbed by the skin. If you need to eliminate all of the aluminum, you'll have to go a different route.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm trying to avoid anything that stains my shirts, and aluminum is pit enemy #1.

tuckspub

Hardline, thanks for the additional info. I can attest to the fact that after using a regular deodorant containing aluminum chlorohydrate, just one swipe and an area about half a foot wide would break out in a severe rash lasting over a week. I have always sweat very profusly more than most anyone around, as a child growing up in the West Indes I had to have a fan under my desk (this was back in the 50's) at school. Playing rugby at boarding school in England my shirt would be drenched within 10 minutes, and it had nothing to do with being overweight or diet, just the luck of the draw. A doctor once told me that the upside is my skin would fare much better than most as older age set in, but I digress. I have never had a problem with Crystal staining or leaving a white residue and while it obviously does have a form of alum in it I would not seem to have any problem with absorbtion through the skin. I do find the roll-on to be my preferred method of application. Hope this info is of use to Upthewazzu.

hardline_42

Honors Member
Thanks for the clarification. I'm trying to avoid anything that stains my shirts, and aluminum is pit enemy #1.
Hardline, thanks for the additional info. I can attest to the fact that after using a regular deodorant containing aluminum chlorohydrate, just one swipe and an area about half a foot wide would break out in a severe rash lasting over a week. I have always sweat very profusly more than most anyone around, as a child growing up in the West Indes I had to have a fan under my desk (this was back in the 50's) at school. Playing rugby at boarding school in England my shirt would be drenched within 10 minutes, and it had nothing to do with being overweight or diet, just the luck of the draw. A doctor once told me that the upside is my skin would fare much better than most as older age set in, but I digress. I have never had a problem with Crystal staining or leaving a white residue and while it obviously does have a form of alum in it I would not seem to have any problem with absorbtion through the skin. I do find the roll-on to be my preferred method of application. Hope this info is of use to Upthewazzu.
Glad to help. My purpose in identifying alum as aluminum wasn't to dissuade anyone form using it, only to clarify what it is. If UTW's purpose in avoiding aluminum in deodorants was because of a possible risk of Alzheimer's or cancer, etc., then alum would not be the solution. Since he's just looking for something that won't ruin his shirts, alum is totally viable.

I don't use alum exclusively since, IME, switching up methods works best to eliminate odor. I'm not an expert, but I feel like the bacteria develop a resistance to any one method over time. If I had to pick only one alternative method though, it would be vodka and talcum powder. The talcum powder works well to absorb wetness. Vodka is inexpensive food grade alcohol and doesn't contain any of the bad stuff found in either isopropyl or denatured alcohol. It's also nice to spritz a little in your mouth every few minutes as you go about your grooming routine ;)

upthewazzu

It wasn't until recently that I learned that aluminum based antiperspirants might be linked to breast cancer or alzheimers. From what I can tell, there hasn't been a scientifically documented link, but there is enough doubt that it might be worth changing as a CYA if nothing else.

Shaver

Suspended

My, my! Looking for an argument again, are we? :rolleyes2:

Diet is a term for the comestibles that you ingest - food and drink considered in terms of its qualities, composition, and its effects on health. It is not a speculation as to your weight. :icon_smile:

blue suede shoes

Originally Posted by upthewazzu

My, my! Looking for an argument again, are we? :rolleyes2:

Diet is a term for the comestibles that you ingest - food and drink considered in terms of its qualities, composition, and its effects on health. It is not a speculation as to your weight. :icon_smile:

The condition of axillary hyperhydrosis is experienced by people of all sizes and shapes, not just overweight people. It is caused by one's metabolism and diet. When I was in my teens and early twenties, I used to play tennis outdoors, but could never play on even a mildly hot day because I sweat so much that my entire shirt was wet. So I confined my playing to cooler days or evenings. At the time I was thin and had a hard time gaining weight. I didn't fill out until my early thirties. My metabolism has since changed and gaining weight is no problem, but I still sweat on very hot, humid summer days so I avoid physical activity when in my dress clothes.

blue suede shoes

I've had really good results with Trader Joe's brand antiperspirant. It contains cotton instead of aluminum to absorb sweat.

I sweat a very large amount and most normal antiperspirants don't control it.

The TJ antiperspirant works wonders and doesn't produce yellow stains since there is no aluminum.

Tom's is terrible. Stay away from it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I also use Trader Joe's stick deodorant and toothpaste. It is all natural and works just as well as Tom's for about half the price.

Proudx

Starting Member
. Since he's just looking for something that won't ruin his shirts, alum is totally viable.
Ive done some google searching and have found one person in another forum that has claimed alum has stained his undershirts yellow.

In theory the alum is still aluminum salt and it could build up in clothing and cause yellow stains, anyone else experience staining using alum?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.