Did Men's Wearhouse ruin my pants?!?

BeanTownSailor

Starting Member
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I need some help. I'll give you a little background first. I am a recent college grad and freshly thrown into the working world of adulthood. I decided to update my wardrobe to correspond with my new standing in society. Seeing as how my previous wardrobe consisted mostly of torn American Eagle jeans and very wrinkled Old Navy button-downs I went with my first instinct and went to the mall. I bought about $1500 worth of clothes which consisted of the following:
1 Pronto Uomo black wool suit, single breasted two-button non-vented
2 Pronto Uomo slacks, various colors, double pleated
3 silk ties, assorted colors
5 Pronto Uomo cotton shirts, assorted colors and patterns.
1 Pair black leather shoes
1 Black leather belt
Various Misc. Accessories

So I have to admit that I loved the clothes for the first 3 weeks, but as I started to look at other people in the work place and started looking on Andy's forums I began to take a closer look at what I was wearing. First, I had the suit pants cuffed with very little break because I hear that's more professional. Since I planned to wear the slacks sans jacket and tie, I opted for a medium break for that more casual look and feel. One pair of slacks seems to have a medium break, the other pair had a full break plus some. I'll try and post some pictures later if requested. So other then the break being much too long on the second pair of pants, I noticed some other oddities. The black suit pants' cuffs were stitched all the way around. What I mean is that the slack was folded inside, then the cuffs were turned up, then the whole thing was stitched at the middle of the cuff all the way around the cuff. I cannot insert my finger into the cuff. The second pair of pants were done in a different fashion. The slack was folded inside and stitched into place all the way around the leg, then the cuffs were turned up and tacked in two places on each seam. So you see two little balls of thread at each seam and I can insert my finger completely into each cuff. Which is the proper way to cuff pants? I noticed while sitting with my legs crossed today that the cuffs that are tacked fall open at places as the material hangs, i.e. I can see into the cuff. Should they be able to do that?

I'm also pulling hundreds of tiny little fibers out of my suit jacket. It's never been dry-cleaned but it looks like lint. They are actually comeing out of the fabric and really obvious against black. I have no idea what they are or how to get rid of them.

Another issue I noticed, on the tack cuffed pants the creases aren't in the middle of the leg. The crease follows the inner-most pleat down my leg, so it falls about 3/4" inside of the center line of each leg. If I hold the pant leg at the creases the seams don't line up. Shouldn't the crease always be down the exact middle of the leg? Also, the crease starts inside the leg, but because of walking and moving the fold point seems to tend toward the center of my shoe, which causes each pant leg to twist about 3/4" outward at the bottom. This doesn't seem right at all to me. I also had the crease done in what MWH calls super-crease which causes a perminent crease by sealing the inside of the crease with that looks like rubber cement. So if indeed the crease is wrong then they owe me two new pairs of pants.

I've already decided that I am NEVER buying anything from MWH again, and NEVER getting anything tailored from someone that isn't an actual tailor again. I found a tailor in Boston that owns his own shop and does all his own tailoring. He's been in the game for 40+ years and also does bespoke orders. He imports and customs fits Italian suits and pants on request also, so I think he is my new tailor and maybe retailor. Other then that I don't know who I can trust in Boston with my clothes. I can't quite afford a full wardrobe from Brooks Borthers yet, but I could maybe swing one BB suit in 2 months and maybe 1 slacks every 2 weeks, but again I think I'll let Frank tailor them for me.

So my main question is, what did MWH do wrong? I want to know everything they screwed up on when I go back. If I can get two new untailor pants then maybe Frank can make them look decent until I can afford something of better quality. Also, anyone know of a decent place in Boston to get good clothes without the whole MWH nightmare and the BB prices?

Aaron in Allentown

I would return the suit. It sounds like it's defective.

Get your money back, and spend it on another suit that isn't black.

You'll eventually get dozens of responses on this thread informing you that black suits are inappropriate for business attire, so I may as well be the first.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
BeanTownSailor:

Welcome to the AskAndy Forum, you've found the right place and will learn much here!

And an investment, which is less that you paid for lunch today, in the CD-Rom, The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes would pay dividends for your next purchase!! :icon_smile:

ChicagoMediaMan-27

Uh oh. Men's Wearhouse and a black suit? Other forum members: Please don't be too hard on this guy.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. It sounds like either the pants were not well made from the way you described them, but most likely it was a bad tailoring job all around. I believe from the last Men's Wearhouse thread, that Pronto Uomo suit costs around $550? I could be wrong. Either way, you will be able to find something 10x better at the same price if you search Nordstrom Rack, Saks 5th off, or a similar store. Hopefully you will be able to return it and get your $ back.
Oh yeah, and you should probably re-think the black suit idea, unless you want to save it to wear to funerals or to a club or something. I work in an office that is a bit more fashion-friendly than most work environments and you still don't see very many black suits. Try out charcoal, gray, or navy.

Good luck with everything and let us know how it turns out.

laufer

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Hello,

I've already decided that I am NEVER buying anything from MWH again, and NEVER getting anything tailored from someone that isn't an actual tailor again. I found a tailor in Boston that owns his own shop and does all his own tailoring. He's been in the game for 40+ years and also does bespoke orders. He imports and customs fits Italian suits and pants on request also, so I think he is my new tailor and maybe retailor. Other then that I don't know who I can trust in Boston with my clothes. I can't quite afford a full wardrobe from Brooks Borthers yet, but I could maybe swing one BB suit in 2 months and maybe 1 slacks every 2 weeks, but again I think I'll let Frank tailor them for me.

I am sorry about your experience. A couple of points:

First you have to wait for BB sales, few weeks ago you could have bought any of their 1818 suits foir $500.

Second do you mind saharing the name and address of your new tailor since I am currently looking for new tailor.

stainless

BeanTownSailor,

It is unfortunate that you had such a bad experience, I hope you don't have any trouble returning your purchases. If you've done much reading of these boards, you of course know MW is held in very low regard here. I can't help you with the tailoring side of things, but I do have some suggestions for shopping around Boston.

Keezer's in Cambridge is a store that focuses many on formalwear but does have a selection of used suits and sportcoats. I picked up a blazer there in my size for $40 that I am much happier with than with my MW suit.

Jos A. Bank always advertises some sort of sale, but when their Signature and Signature Gold suit get to their "real" sale price (i. e. the most they will get discounted) they represent good value.

There's a Syms in Norwood, and of course various locations of Filene's Basement. These places are definately hit-or-miss but you might uncover a gem.

Good luck!

BeanTownSailor

Starting Member

First you have to wait for BB sales, few weeks ago you could have bought any of their 1818 suits foir $500.

Second do you mind saharing the name and address of your new tailor since I am currently looking for new tailor.

I sent you the address in a PM. G'Luck.

SkySov

On the JAB website their sig golds are $100 less than the usual sale price. Always happens when I don't need a suit or still need new shoes more.

If there is a bright side TMW alterations are free. So you can take it back to them to fix. Spending money on a good tailor to fix TMW clothes may not be worth it. Though you may like the way you look better hahaha. Maybe look at pictures from websites, even TMW has close ups of the pants cuff, or the what are your wearing today thread.

But it sounds like you know what cuffs should look like. I'm not a tailor, but I can't think of why they would be stitched closed. Wouldn't that take more time?!? I had to get some of my pants hemmed cause the break was too much. I thought a good amount was fine because I didn't want my pants to look like shorts when I sat down. But then I started noticing other people's pants and now I show more sock.

cvac

Generally, cuffs should not be sealed up all the way around. The "tack" method is okay but really a short cut. The cuffs should be sewn on the inside around the bottom, then sewn vertically on the side seams of the pants.

Sounds like they botched the "perma crease" on your pants. Basically, I wouldn't have that done again. It is my understanding that it is only suitable for military uniforms and such.

I agree you should try to return any items you feel are defective or that MW botched for your money back and never shop there again.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
My lunch cost about $0.60--does this mean I get a discount?
PedanticTurkey:

No, but thanks for asking!! ;) It does mean that you have to order the CD-Rom AND buy me lunch!! (even if I have to get a plane ticket to "The South"!)

Actually, on second though for a .60 lunch, it might not be worth it. How about sending me a shot of Scotch instead!! :icon_smile:

a tailor

Honors Member
cant think of how a simple cuff could be botched up, but they managed to do it. i suspect it was a smart ass salesman that did it. some of them think they know how to sew.
store managers often skimp on alteration costs like low pay,short hours that helps the bottom line [read profit].
take the stuff back. you want it done right or money back.

Kraken

I had the exact same problems with trousers I bought at Moores which is MW in Canada. If you do a search for threads with my username, you will find it and comments from other members. I just got back my trousers that I got fixed by my regular tailor and I will post pictures (as promised there) to show and compare.

I called the 1-800 number on MW website for customer complaints and I told them how the job was bad. After they tried several times to fixe the trousers, they just reimbursed me my money. You should have no problem returning the items and just call that 1-800 number if the manager refuses to cooperate.

I also have a suit from Moores that is 65% polyester and I can sometimes see/feel tiny strings of fabric coming out of the suit. I noticed I could pull one out and it seems like polyester strings used to make the suit. Mine are not very visible since it is charcoal and I just leave it there. Check to see what your suit is made out of.

BTW, I am also never going there again.

Kraken, I must admit I've purchased a number of suits from Moores in the past and was not dissatisfied...

At some point in my 20s, Moores was the only place that carried any suits in my size. At that time, I couldn't complain too much.

There was a very knowledgeable older salesman at the Montreal Rd/St. Laurent Blvd location a number of years ago who immediately spotted my real size (I tend to confuse suit salespeople in that department). I can also say the same thing about the outlet in Ville St-Laurent.

Perhaps they have just gone down a notch in service etc.?

Kraken

You may be right Barrister & Solicitor that the quality may have gone done since back then. I would not know since I am only 22 and have very few past experiences with Moores. Maybe you were also lucky to find a store with qualified employees. It does not mean that all Moores have poor quality service, but it appear that you have more odds of that happening.

Anyway, for those interested (not to hijack the thread), I will post some pictures, by the end of the week, of the trousers that have been finished by a real tailor in my main thread.

But for everyone that are dissapointed with MW or Moores quality, call the 1-800 line on their website.

tinytim

For every bad post about MW there's hundreds of other satisfied customers. Personally, I don't shop there. My brother does and loves it. I am sorry to hear about your bad experience. Did you try talking to a manager? He might be able to help you out. Good luck.

Tim

jac6387

Starting Member
I just purchased 2 suits from MW online. They were a European cut and a bit too tight for me so I had to take them in to get altered. Along with all of the various alterations that had to be done they suggested the supper crease. Not thinking much of it I accepted. I then got home and decided to look up what it actually was. I hope that when I go to pick them up the creases are at least straight :crazy:

KRMaley

This guy is great, I use him all the time. He is in the DTX area. Drop by and say hello to him.

Beauge's Tailoring Alterations

15 ll
Boston, MA 02108-2598

Get Directions

(617) 722-4194

a tailor

Honors Member
if the threads coming out are in the chest area its probably the hair cloth. it was not properly covered on the chest piece. manufactures mistake.
no excuse for that off center crease. very basic.
the odd cuff. its called a french cuff. its done when there is not enough cloth in the length of the legs.
i wonder if the trousers were sold once before and returned. and now resold to you.
or they were pre cuffed stock trousers and had to be lengthened.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange