Do casual chinos even go with sneakers?

John M

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
So I have had some pants hemmed from O'Connell's and as always the job is spectacular. I have had to adjust my inseam several times (until finding the proper length which is 25.5" and I am 5'9") but I am wondering if casual chinos even go with sneakers or if I should adjust my wardrobe entirely? I really only wear sneakers because of my job and standing constantly. I don't want to ruin a nice pair of dress shoes even if I get them on sale.

Thanks in advance for the help and I can try and post pictures if it helps.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
So I have had some pants hemmed from O'Connell's and as always the job is spectacular. I have had to adjust my inseam several times (until finding the proper length which is 25.5" and I am 5'9") but I am wondering if casual chinos even go with sneakers or if I should adjust my wardrobe entirely? I really only wear sneakers because of my job and standing constantly. I don't want to ruin a nice pair of dress shoes even if I get them on sale.

Thanks in advance for the help and I can try and post pictures if it helps.
I think casual chinos go with everything but oxfords.

poppies

I feel like trainers/sneakers with chinos gives off a sort of impression with which I'm loathe to associate myself. It seems to me there are better comfort-oriented and inexpensive options, particularly chukkas, Weejuns, boat shoes, camp mocs, and/or ranger mocs.

challer

I feel like trainers/sneakers with chinos gives off a sort of impression with which I'm loathe to associate myself. It seems to me there are better comfort-oriented and inexpensive options, particularly chukkas, Weejuns, boat shoes, camp mocs, and/or ranger mocs.
Is it the trainers generally or the combination with khakis? And what is the impression of which you speak?

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I think casual chinos go with everything but oxfords.

+1! 👍

In my 20's, every summer or two, I'd buy myself a new pair of navy blue Top Siders that I especially liked wearing with khakis during the summer season.

The current fashion for trainers has at least resulted in some better looking well made options which offer a handsome ultra casual alternative with chinos/khakis.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
There's plenty of historical evidence of casual chinos and sneakers being worn together. I like the look of old-style canvas sneakers with chinos, but as others have noted above, they look fine with many modern sneakers as well.
paul-newman-preppy.jpg
bd337927823aa59d8501a4fb929abd63.jpg
tumblr_pqugyl1xfQ1qchmmco10_500.png.jpeg

drpeter

Not necessarily advocating this but many shoe makers are now making sneaker like shoes which have the properties of sneakers but look more like dressier shoes. Note I said "dressier" not dressy, as I still believe that dress shoes should have leather soles and at least a proper heel.
Good point. There's also another category of footwear in the Trad armamentarium that the OP might wish to consider, namely white bucks. I don't own a pair, but I've heard that the classic way to wear these is in a somewhat scuffed and dirty condition -- the shoes, that is, not oneself. I think the right shade of red for their soles will set off a nice, well-worn pair of khakis.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
I got the least offensive-looking New Balance "cross-trainer," whatever that means, for the gym.

Then the gym closed because the owner had some sort of nervous complaint or ailment.

The sneakers gathered dust.

Then, earlier this summer, I was experiencing some pain in my right knee. Got it checked out, nothing structural. Just the onset of what the late Hank Aaron called "arthuritis" in ads for some over-the-counter remedy.

The doc suggested I try wearing something with a little more oomph than battered boat shoes. So I dug out the NBs and went ahead.

It was a little like wearing a bow tie for the first time. (Voluntarily, I mean.) I felt like a wanker, until I realized, once again, that almost nobody gives a damn what I wear.

The knee is fine. I did a difficult hike/fishing expedition yesterday with no problems. In the knee, anyway. The rest of me is stiff and sore.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
I got the least offensive-looking New Balance "cross-trainer," whatever that means, for the gym.

Then the gym closed because the owner had some sort of nervous complaint or ailment.

The sneakers gathered dust.

Then, earlier this summer, I was experiencing some pain in my right knee. Got it checked out, nothing structural. Just the onset of what the late Hank Aaron called "arthuritis" in ads for some over-the-counter remedy.

The doc suggested I try wearing something with a little more oomph than battered boat shoes. So I dug out the NBs and went ahead.

It was a little like wearing a bow tie for the first time. (Voluntarily, I mean.) I felt like a wanker, until I realized, once again, that almost nobody gives a damn what I wear.

The knee is fine. I did a difficult hike/fishing expedition yesterday with no problems. In the knee, anyway. The rest of me is stiff and sore.
Glad you are hiking and fishing. The NB aspect reminded me of the great "Nobody cares" scene on Schitt's Creek. I really miss that show.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I had a pair of these once, and they were very nice for "on your feet all day" wear.

I can't say I've ever experienced a pair of Sperry Gold Cup Game fish, but I have bought two pair of same for our youngest grand son. He loved them sufficiently to wear both pair out! LOL. ;)

John M

I admit I am being a bit of perfectionist and perhaps I am watching too many Gentleman's Gazette videos. With that said, I don't think I am asking for too much. I just don't want to look sloppy.

I think I have mastered the proper inseam I believe, but now my issue comes in the form of tapering the leg. I don't mind a little bit of of a relaxed fit in the thigh and seat but it has to taper as I go down.

Tiger

Elite Member
I think there's a "proportionality" issue with wearing certain types of footwear with certain types of pants. Assuming the pants are not very tapered down to the ankles, footwear such as sneakers and boat shoes can be swallowed up by chinos and cords; the resulting look is poor. Conversely, a more tapered trouser looks ill-suited with heavier boots and elongated shoes; also looks terrible. Such extremes are to be avoided.

I typically wear chukkas and loafers with chinos, and would only wear sneakers/running shoes in very casual situations (athletics and lounging, with sweats or shorts). As in most things, decide what looks/feels best for you, and then wear it!

Dr.Watson

My rule is that I won't wear sneakers with khakis or khaki shorts unless my shirt is untucked. I feel like sneakers and tucked in shirts just looks too "old mannish." So, I relegate this to pretty casual situations. And I think it only works if the sneakers are the retro looking sort. If they are real running shoes, it also looks old mannish.

To clarify, I mean old mannish in the wearing a blue Columbia fishing shirt and white sneakers while chewing on a toothpick outside a Longhorn's Steakhouse sense, not the fine older gentlemen who hang out on this forum.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange