Do casual chinos even go with sneakers?

katon

To me, they seem like a more casual version of wearing jeans with a sportcoat, in that they give the impression that wearing them is a novelty rather than something the wearer is used to doing. This can be a good or bad thing, depending on the impression trying to be made.

Canvas deck shoes are grandfathered in, I am mostly talking about leather sneakers. :)

katon

Thanks in advance for the help and I can try and post pictures if it helps.

Speaking of pictures, here is one from 1977:

Darmouth_1977_n.jpg

(Men's Club #195, courtesy of Heavy Tweed Jacket)

challer

Such derision for a classic combination. Tweed blazer/button down over denim khakis with trainers was a college uniform seemingly worn by everyone. Back when people wore tweed and blazers in college. I suppose we were slobs and didn't know it. Comments like "give the impression that wearing them is a novelty rather than something the wearer is used to doing," come across with a real negativity rather than anything useful or insightful. It speaks to the poster more than anything

roman totale XVII

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Adidas Gazelles/ Stan Smith/ Forest Hills, NB 974/1400/ 991 and any number of the old-school Nikes all look perfectly fine with khakis.
The only ‘rule’ I have is that trimmer profile sneaker needs to go with the trimmer cut khakis.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
I think that for me Dr. Watson nailed it. All of us older Trads need to observe closely what those too young to run for President are wearing and try to keep up. Lose the cargo shorts, band tee shirts, and other articles that scream "I shop at Kohl's to look young and hip and get great deals!" In shorts weather my son in law will be found in plain front khaki shorts, a Vineyard Vines checked button down, not tucked, sockless Rancourt camp mocs, Ray Bans, and a gimme cap. It is a good look. It would work with old Purcells or old Prefontaine Nikes, but it would crumble with any very new and contemporary trainers.

Shifting into long khakis it works with pretty much the same rules. The khakis should not be starched and work even better unironed, cuffed, and a little high water.

John M

I THINK... I finally figured out my biggest problem. It is the leg opening. I NEED a tapered leg opening and I seem to have narrowed it down.

Hayek

Adidas Gazelles/ Stan Smith/ Forest Hills, NB 974/1400/ 991 and any number of the old-school Nikes all look perfectly fine with khakis.
The only ‘rule’ I have is that trimmer profile sneaker needs to go with the trimmer cut khakis.
Yeah, this was going to be my answer. It looks fine as long as the sneakers are classic as you describe and not loud and neon or something.

G

Guest-801753

I’ve never thought sneakers look good with chinos/khakis.
Jeans, shorts and athleisure are what I would wear sneaks with.

drpeter

I’ve never thought sneakers look good with chinos/khakis.
Jeans, shorts and athleisure are what I would wear sneaks with.
Agreed. My preference for khakis is almost always a pair of LHS, or any other casual shoe, like a pair of boat/deck shoes. In warm weather, I also wear leather sandals with khakis.

drpeter

I agree. I imagined each of those outfits pictured above with suede shoes in a desert tan, or calfskin shoes in brown or black. In every case, I think the overall ensemble would look better.

Corcovado

cfcabe908809546ab802cc75874ceb6b.jpg

Canvas sneakers look a little more "Ivy" IMO. (I will refrain from commenting on the blazer-over-denim situation happening above the waist.)
Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 9.09.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 9.10.04 AM.png

Last edited:

John M

I may be in the minority on this one, or so say my grown kids and grand kids, but I wear sneakers generally only when I exercise. :(

I will likely be dropping them soon enough in favor of leather dress shoes and decent dress socks. For years, when I started working at Home Depot and into now at my current job I have stuck with Wigwam At Work Crew Socks with my New Balance.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange