• Staff

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
Got this question via email from Major Taylor. Can we help him?

----------------------

Like many people I have not been out to any functions or events in months.

However, I was given this jacket. I was wondering if I could pull this off with the pants in the picture?

jacket-pants.jpg

I have an Endomorph body style: (from Ask Andy's How To Match Clothes article)

1602518769851.png

Would you wear this combination?

fishertw

Advanced Member
Got this question via email from Major Taylor. Can we help him?

----------------------

Like many people I have not been out to any functions or events in months.

However, I was given this jacket. I was wondering if I could pull this off with the pants in the picture?

View attachment 50115

I have an Endomorph body style: (from Ask Andy's How To Match Clothes article)

View attachment 50116

Would you wear this combination?
Not sure there is any help for that.

Matt S

Connoisseur
Given that I belong on the Trad forum, my initial reaction is a hard "no." However, if I had to pair them I would use a limited palette...white shirt, navy tie, and navy pocket square with large white polka dots.
Doesn't matter if you're trad or anything else. There's no way a plaid jacket and plaid trousers that do not match (are not part of a suit) can ever pair in harmony.

TKI67

Doesn't matter if you're trad or anything else. There's no way a plaid jacket and plaid trousers that do not match (are not part of a suit) can ever pair in harmony.
I agree, but I see others, chiefly countryside Brits, mixing plaids, district checks, and tattersalls, at times with tartan ties. Just yikes.

G

Guest-513402

Given that I belong on the Trad forum, my initial reaction is a hard "no." However, if I had to pair them I would use a limited palette...white shirt, navy tie, and navy pocket square with large white polka dots.
Thanks. I do value your opinion.

Matt S

Connoisseur
I agree, but I see others, chiefly countryside Brits, mixing plaids, district checks, and tattersalls, at times with tartan ties. Just yikes.
There are ways to mix three (or even four) checks successfully, but I don't think I've seen countryside Brits pair a plaid jacket with plaid trousers. For the more adventure man, the jacket in question could be paired with fine houndstooth check trousers and a mid-sized grid-check shirt. I'd probably keep the tie solid.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
There are ways to mix three (or even four) checks successfully, but I don't think I've seen countryside Brits pair a plaid jacket with plaid trousers. For the more adventure man, the jacket in question could be paired with fine houndstooth check trousers and a mid-sized grid-check shirt. I'd probably keep the tie solid.
100% agree with this.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.