Men's Clothing Forums banner

Do we need a salad thread or maybe just a healthier eating thread?

24K views 415 replies 11 participants last post by  Oldsarge 
#1 ·
Red meat, pizza, pasta, and adult libations are all delightful, but In this household we have been trying to continue eating, exercising, and reading our way to better physical and emotional health through the pandemic. We have been eating a good bit of salad and have developed some nice combinations to turn them into meals.

Tonight will be mesclun (mixed spring greens), thinly sliced red onion, canned beet slices, artichoke hearts canned in water, and green olive slices tossed with sliced, pepperoncini rings, and grilled chicken in a vinaigrette of 2:1 olive oil and white wine vinegar, shaken with a bit of Maille Dijon. I know it doesn't speak to the soul the way steak frites does, but it is a very tasty combination.

Another healthy-ish one we like is "cheating" ramen. Heat vegetable broth with a splash of mirin, a splash of light soy, grated ginger, and garlic and cook shiitake mushrooms, carrot matchsticks, and green onion in it. Make an eight minute boiled egg and peel it. Into the broth toss some very thinly sliced lean beef and some ramen noodles. Garnish with more green onion, sunflower sprouts, and the egg, halved.

#67 ·
Great thread!

I'm really late to the party, but can I recommend a nice beet salad?
View attachment 53526

Pictured here with pine nuts, though I prefer crushed walnuts in my version.

My simple ingredients:

baby spinach
mixed baby greens
pickled beets
crushed walnuts
goat cheese
balsamic vinaigrette
One of our regulars is baby spinach and arugula, thinly sliced red onion, pickled beets, peperoncini rings, and La Martinique vinaigrette. Lazy but delicious. Yours sounds luscious.

#63 ·
I wonder if you guys can help me, My Mother last week told me to get her 3 bean salad at my Stop N Shop but I don't know which aisle it's located in, I know they're beans but is it a salad? Could it be in the bean aisle, fruits and vegetable aisle or maybe the Mexican aisle? And plus it comes in a can, I will keep trying to find it.