Men's Clothing Forums banner

Do we need a salad thread or maybe just a healthier eating thread?

24K views 415 replies 11 participants last post by  Oldsarge 
#1 ·
Red meat, pizza, pasta, and adult libations are all delightful, but In this household we have been trying to continue eating, exercising, and reading our way to better physical and emotional health through the pandemic. We have been eating a good bit of salad and have developed some nice combinations to turn them into meals.

Tonight will be mesclun (mixed spring greens), thinly sliced red onion, canned beet slices, artichoke hearts canned in water, and green olive slices tossed with sliced, pepperoncini rings, and grilled chicken in a vinaigrette of 2:1 olive oil and white wine vinegar, shaken with a bit of Maille Dijon. I know it doesn't speak to the soul the way steak frites does, but it is a very tasty combination.

Another healthy-ish one we like is "cheating" ramen. Heat vegetable broth with a splash of mirin, a splash of light soy, grated ginger, and garlic and cook shiitake mushrooms, carrot matchsticks, and green onion in it. Make an eight minute boiled egg and peel it. Into the broth toss some very thinly sliced lean beef and some ramen noodles. Garnish with more green onion, sunflower sprouts, and the egg, halved.

#89 ·
I’ve spent my life with not eating properly. I’ll be 69 in September, with minor health issues (I see my doc twice a year). So, was my eating the key? YES! But for a different reason than most would think!

About a decade ago, I started losing my taste for much of the bad stuff, and drifted towards the good!