SirSuturesALot

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
If you're patient, I can possibly take a couple tonight. Is there any trick to uploading photos to this forum? - I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to figure it out. I don't host any photos on line so would not have a url to link to.

Thanks
Sure, there's a stickied guide to photo uploading here:
https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showthread.php?t=60615

You can say that misaligned rivets, small tears, glue stains, and such are part of its "charm" as the website implied but I would not agree. You can still have a very rugged and plainly constructed item that is also well made. After all, we are not talking about a $100 bag. If it were really inexpensive it would be another matter but it is, price-wise, on par with other mid-range bags.
I agree. These bags are $400+. At that price level, I expect something well constructed.

marlinspike

Elite Member
I took a slew of pics of the replacement bag last night and will try to post some this evening. The replacement bag had some minor issues also but at this point I plan to keep it and use it for rougher use during law school.
I've been using this for light days https://www.korchmar.com/products/product-main.cfm?prod_id=30 and this for heavy https://www.korchmar.com/products/product-main.cfm?prod_id=45 at law school (don't need to have 2 since the bigger one can zip up the expansion, but my dad already had the smaller one and wasn't using it). I got them from www.classicluggage.com

DSD

Bag

I've been using this for light days https://www.korchmar.com/products/product-main.cfm?prod_id=30 and this for heavy https://www.korchmar.com/products/product-main.cfm?prod_id=45 at law school (don't need to have 2 since the bigger one can zip up the expansion, but my dad already had the smaller one and wasn't using it). I got them from www.classicluggage.com
Where are you going to law school? Or did you mean when you went? I am planing on starting UM next fall.

Hockey_Magnet

Pictures of my Saddleback Messenger

There is nothing about this bag I would consider flawed - I love the character of this bag. After taking these I applied some Meguiar's Gold Leather Treatment which darkened it up a bit. It also removed the scratches, not necessarily what you may want but they'll come back. The rivets are there to strengthen the bag even more. These bags are definitely intended to look tough and I certainly believe they will hold up really well over time. The hardware is also very heavy duty, almost as good as Red Oxx which I consider the toughest bags on the planet. Personal and subjective but I think the bag shown in the other pictures is the worst colour for a bag of this type. I'm also sure that even though he has labelled the owner dishonest or misleading, he can still return the bag for a full refund with no problems. Anyway, here you go:

DSD

Some last thoughts...

Am very glad you like and enjoy your bag - I must admit that I had considered the darker color and like the look - it does seem to fit the style of bag a bit more perhaps. Your bag design is (as I am sure you know) is slightly different than my own and has less detail work which may be a good thing in this case.

In terms of high quality hardware - not so sure I would agree. The buckles on my replacement bag seem cheaply made and the tounges of the buckles do not line up and seem to fit the buckle portion. Also, the small spring clip that is inside for key attachment appears very cheaply made with the spring already failing (it does not spring back shut when it is opened as it is designed to). The main strap of my new bag also has a cut in the leather across the strap. It is not all the way through but it may be a point of failure eventually. I just did not want to go through sending it back a second time. Perhaps my expectations were a bit too high but I was expecting very high quality given the superlatives on the site and although I agree it is a nice product - it fell short, for me, of my expectations.

Finally, my comments about the owners apparent dishonesty may have been too strong. However, I did find a number of posts that clearly were the owner or someone associated with him pretending to ask questions about the bag in transparent attempts to promote the product. I have no problem with promotion but this seemed a bit sleezy to me. Just my own personal opinion. I think that with a little more honesty and slighlty better quality control the product could be even better.

I hope I have not offended you or anyone with my comments - you seemed to be bit put off by my earlier comments.

Regards,

Dale

Max Inseam

I'm also sure that even though he has labelled the owner dishonest or misleading, he can still return the bag for a full refund with no problems.
This comment strikes me as odd (as does your switch, in referring to DSD, from the second person to the third). Do you have any relationship to the owner or the company?

Hockey_Magnet

I find this extremely offensive

This comment strikes me as odd (as does your switch, in referring to DSD, from the second person to the third). Do you have any relationship to the owner or the company?
I did not refer to DSD in the second person. My response was to the original poster's request for a photo, it was not a response directly to DSD. My reply was to the OP's thread, not to DSD - I was commenting to the OP regarding DSD's post i.e. talking about DSD's post - can I make this any clearer for you? I am not in any way affiliated with this company other than being a satisifed customer. I thought DSD's comment was harsh and that he should indeed return the bag if not satisfied - I would. I suggest you restrain your paranoia.

Hockey_Magnet

Am very glad you like and enjoy your bag - I must admit that I had considered the darker color and like the look - it does seem to fit the style of bag a bit more perhaps. Your bag design is (as I am sure you know) is slightly different than my own and has less detail work which may be a good thing in this case.

In terms of high quality hardware - not so sure I would agree. The buckles on my replacement bag seem cheaply made and the tounges of the buckles do not line up and seem to fit the buckle portion. Also, the small spring clip that is inside for key attachment appears very cheaply made with the spring already failing (it does not spring back shut when it is opened as it is designed to). The main strap of my new bag also has a cut in the leather across the strap. It is not all the way through but it may be a point of failure eventually. I just did not want to go through sending it back a second time. Perhaps my expectations were a bit too high but I was expecting very high quality given the superlatives on the site and although I agree it is a nice product - it fell short, for me, of my expectations.

Finally, my comments about the owners apparent dishonesty may have been too strong. However, I did find a number of posts that clearly were the owner or someone associated with him pretending to ask questions about the bag in transparent attempts to promote the product. I have no problem with promotion but this seemed a bit sleezy to me. Just my own personal opinion. I think that with a little more honesty and slighlty better quality control the product could be even better.

I hope I have not offended you or anyone with my comments - you seemed to be bit put off by my earlier comments.

Regards,

Dale
DSD, I do respect your opinion and you may be right about the simpler design being easier to work with and agree there are a couple of rough spots on your bag. The only hardware on my bag is the strap clips and rings which are very heavy and good quality - the buckles line up - My bag does not have a key ring and I agree that part does look a little flimsy in the only photo on the web site where it is just partially visible - I just felt you were being a little harsh on what appears to be a small family run company which I think has good intentions and has a fairly unique product. I have not looked in other forums to confirm your comment (I'm not sure how one would determine the source anyway) and I don't want to spend any more time on this. I bought this bag based on a referral on a Head-Fi.org forum from a poster who is definitely legitimate - so the bags are getting some good legitimate comments. Anyway, good luck in law school.

P.S. I understand about not wanting to return the bag yet again - it's frustrating I'm sure. My suggestion is that you send them an email - They may be willing to send you a new strap just based on your photo without having to return anything or maybe just the strap - oops, I just checked their site again and the main strap on yours is rivetted to the bag, right? So that won't work - The other alternative is to have it repaired since the email I received from them when I bought my bag says that in the event of a problem, they will pay to have it repaired locally or you can ship it back. So maybe they would agree to send you a new strap that you could get switched locally at their expense. I wouldn't keep it if the main strap is damaged if you think it could fail.

Regards,

Chris

DSD

Thanks

Chris-

I agree - I think this post has been run into the ground and further dialouge on this particular subject is likely counterproductive. Thanks for your advice. Again, my comments may have been too strong on the personal side and I apologize if they were offensive to anyone.

To close - the first question on this thread was simply if the superlatives stated on the website about this bag were true - based on any first-hand experience.

For me (my opinion ONLY), they were not. The website builds extremely high expectations. Granted that one can assume some of it is marketing hyperbole, the comments are still very strong. The bag is billed as the "last bag you will ever need to buy" and implies that it is extremely well made. The fact is that (as discussed above), a front strap that is cut, a broken key clip, and so on are not really indicative of super high-quality. Yes, I can get it fixed or send it back again, but should I have to? Again, we are talking about a bag that was over $500.

Ultimately the bag will speak for itself and if there are more people that find it to be as good as the website claims, the bag will do well. I thought it important to share my opinions as I have had many bags and since this is a web-based product, such opinions are important. I do understand it is a small family-based business and I think that is great. However, since I sent one bag back for quality control issues perhaps someone could have followed up with me on the replacement? If it were my company and a customer had to have a bag replaced, I would have carefully inspected the replacement to make sure that it was not also problematic. That would ensure a happy customer, good customer service, and repeat business. Someone who gets two bags in a row with quality issues might not give glowing reviews of the product.

Regards,

Dale

Max Inseam

I suggest you restrain your paranoia.
Let's see. All your posts to date on this forum have been in defense of the Saddleback Leather bag company and, in responding to DSD, you make a representation that "I'm also sure that even though he has labelled the owner dishonest or misleading, he can still return the bag for a full refund with no problems." So you seem rather intimate with the company and its policies. And further, this seems to be a company that engages in sock-puppeting, as has already been mentioned in the thread. I think I am comfortable with the state of my mental health, thank you very much.

Hockey_Magnet

You might be interersted in these bags

https://www.latigobay.com/

Not that you're probably looking to buy another one at this point. I've purchased 3 smaller bags from this company. The bags are 100% leather, leather lined, handmade and more finely "finished" but yet still obviously 100% hand made. The leather on the small bags I bought is unbelievably soft. I'm not sure about the larger bags, but the ones I have are beautifully made.

Interestingly they have not changed their products or their web site at all in about the last 3 years - My guess is that they have enough business coming in.

Chris

DSD

Rivets

Chris -

Just wondering - are the rivets on your saddleback actual copper as they appear? I thought mine were but I decided to brighten up some that appeared to be copper on bag and the copper color came off and now they appear to be steel or some other metal. I assume they must only be copper plated.

Dale

DSD

Final End to the Saddleback Saga

Just an update - decided to take the advice given by Chris and send the second bag back for a refund. Found another issue this morning with it - the leather on one corner appears to be disintegrating - sort of expanding and shredding all at the same time. Not sure what would cause this as the other corners are just fine. In any event, will send back and let everyone know how that goes.

Dale

Hockey_Magnet

Chris -

Just wondering - are the rivets on your saddleback actual copper as they appear? I thought mine were but I decided to brighten up some that appeared to be copper on bag and the copper color came off and now they appear to be steel or some other metal. I assume they must only be copper plated.

Dale
I'm not sure, they look like copper to me, it wouldn't make sense to deliberately fake them as the two large main rivets holding the handle to the steel strip are not copper and the hardware is chrome. I wouldn't care though - Hopefully you will not have a problem with your refund: The site says: :Items which have been personalized, monogrammed, embossed or are second hand bags may not be returned for a refund" which certainly implies you can get a refund.

Chris

DSD

Excellent Customer Service

In the interest of fairness and as a final follow-up to the issues I had with my Saddleback bag that I have since returned - I got an email from the owner tonight responding to my issues. He was extremely apolgetic about the quality control issues and is addressing them. He also made it clear that a refund was absolutely not a problem at all. He even offered to allow me to keep the bag and still get a partial refund - an offer I thought was very fair and generous.

So... long story short (I know - too late for that), I must complement the company on some outstanding customer service, something that is often hard to find these days.

Regards,

Dale

Hockey_Magnet

Once again this is offensive

Let's see. All your posts to date on this forum have been in defense of the Saddleback Leather bag company and, in responding to DSD, you make a representation that "I'm also sure that even though he has labelled the owner dishonest or misleading, he can still return the bag for a full refund with no problems." So you seem rather intimate with the company and its policies. And further, this seems to be a company that engages in sock-puppeting, as has already been mentioned in the thread. I think I am comfortable with the state of my mental health, thank you very much.
You implied by your post that I had some connection with this company. Your comments above only reinforce my opinion of you. Of course I am familiar with their refund policies, I bought their product! Maybe you feel comfortable dropping hundreds of dollars on something you have not actually seen and not knowing what a company's refund policy is, I don't so I do my research ahead of time. I have yet to see any posts that confirm this company is guilty of what you're accusing them of. I am not the only one who has had positive things to say about the product I purchased form this company. Sorry, but I think your profile detail does indicate you "seem" to exhibit some level of paranoia.

Hockey_Magnet

One Last point

You seem to be incapable of absorbing the fact that I was NOT responding to DSD in the quote you posted, despite the fact that I explained it in terms that anyone could understand. I can't believe you spend so little time on forums that you do not comprehend the fact that just because of a post's position in a thread, it automatically qualifies as a "reply" to a specific earlier post in the thread. The post you refer to was a reply to the OP's request for photos. Please think about this for longer than a nanosecond before you respond again

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.