some_dude

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Should a person be bicycling or walking to work, a backpack can greatly simplify the process. In so many ways a backpack can be the right choice for some. Whether you are headed for the woods/mountains or on your way to work, a backpack frees your hands to do other tasks! Nuff said. ;)
We'll have to agree to disagree. Personally, I think a backpack looks ridiculous when combined with a suit or sportcoat. The straps destroy the lines of the jacket. A messenger-bag is just as easy to carry, and the cross-over strap looks much better.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
We'll have to agree to disagree. Personally, I think a backpack looks ridiculous when combined with a suit or sportcoat. The straps destroy the lines of the jacket. A messenger-bag is just as easy to carry, and the cross-over strap looks much better.
I agree with Eagle that a backpack is more practical, but I agree with you that it looks ridiculous with a suit or sport coat. Sometimes aesthetics must give way to pragmatics, and each person must decide for himself.

New Old Stock

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I'm going to have to disagree as well, I'm afraid. Though cycling with a backpack is definitely better than with a messenger bag across your shoulder - nothing is better than just using a rear or front pannier rack/basket. A backpack just leaves your back sweaty.
And as mentioned above, it looks silly. If Jr couldn't pull it off, I'm not sure anyone can;

1.jpg

2.jpg

Bermuda

yes I have one. I have had it for a few years and it's beginning to fall apart. Looks like I'll be getting an Airway hard leather briefcase for Christmas

drpeter

Isn't there another issue here? Once you get to the workplace in suit, tie and backpack, are you going to be carrying the backpack into meetings, as opposed to a briefcase? Or does that not matter?

If you must bicycle to work but feel ridiculous in a suit plus backpack, you could simply do so in ordinary street clothes and then change into a suit and tie at work, and transfer materials into a nice leather document case you keep at work for meetings. This means you need to have a wardrobe of suits, etc., at work. That's possible for certain high-level executives, but perhaps not for all office workers.

Alternatively, you could take the subway, drive or carpool to work, or simply walk, if you live close enough to your workplace. Leave biking for evenings or weekends.

wilhelm00

A lawyer bag is great because you can still get into it when it's under a table in court (or wherever). This is my second. The latch gave out on my old one, and then I found this one my mother bought in the mid 1960's. Laptops fit in just fine.
20201127_143905.jpg

drpeter

It looks almost like a doctor's bag. When I was a boy, doctors still made house calls, and they carried bags very much like the one above, but they were always made of black leather, never any other colour. I doubt if any doctor anywhere makes house calls these days!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals