Dolphins Fans sign in...

The Gabba Goul

Elite Member
New Season...same old BS...if this preseason has been any kind of indicator...I'm afraid the days of Miami as playoff perennials (sp?) are over [V]...dont get me wrong...they're still my team...but how many more "rebuilding years" do they need???

"When you wear lapels like the swellest of swells, you can pass any mirror and...
:D:D:Dsmile:D:D:D
...You've either got or you haven't got style!!!"​

bch

Starting Member
quote:Originally posted by The Gabba Goul

New Season...same old BS...if this preseason has been any kind of indicator...I'm afraid the days of Miami as playoff perennials (sp?) are over [V]...dont get me wrong...they're still my team...but how many more "rebuilding years" do they need???

"When you wear lapels like the swellest of swells, you can pass any mirror and...

Hard to admit, but I still haven't forgiven them for getting rid of Shula. Funny, but it hurt me more than Dan leaving because it was so unexpected. The Fins' descent coincided with that of my Gators and the arrival of my two girls, so I've fallen out of the football habit due to utter disgust and disappointment. I found I became happier not giving a damn.

I hated Johnson as far back as his UM days. He was a ass, and as it turns out not a great NFL coach in an era of free agency. Let's just forget about the last guy. What's his name again?

I'm looking forward to this year for the first time in a long while. We Dolfans sure need a fresh start, and Saban looks like he might deliver. I'm not prepared to judge by the preseason.

If both the Fins and my Gators disappoint this year, I don't know what I'll do. I may have to start watching hockey again.

JBZ

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Quite simply, they've done a terrible job in recruiting or trading at the quarterback position, and this year is no better. When your starting QB is a choice between AJ Feeley and Gus Frerotte, you've got problems. I always respected Jay Fiedler, simply because he gave 110%. However, he wasn't the guy who was ever going to lead the 'Phins to the SB, so it's good that he's finally gone. Last year was an anomoly, given Ricky "retiring" and all of the injuries they had before the season started. However, they're playing in a very tough division (probably still the toughest in football), and they just can't compete with the Pats and the Jets right now. It will be interesting to see how Ricky does this year, and how Saban elects to use him. Also, they need to find someone who can utilize Chris Chambers to his full potential. Chambers has the ability to be a marquee receiver, but he's never had a QB with the talent to match his.

All of the above being said, I think that Saban is the right guy for the job, and I expect the team to be more competetive this year and to go up from there. Johnson was a disaster (he should have just worn a tee shirt at each game that said "I'd rather be fishing."), and Wannstedt was even worse (even though he was a "nice guy"). After last year, there's nowhere to go but up.

TheSaint

Have faith guys. I think The Dolphins will surprise this year. Forget about Ferotte & Feeley. They couldn't throw a ball out of a wet paper bag. Dismal pre-season for both QB's. However, Sage Rosenfels looked pretty good. Even though Saban chose Frerotte for starting QB, I bet Rosenfels ultimately wins the spot. Ricky has to sit for the first 4 games due to his pot smoking. He looked good in pre season.

bch

Starting Member
Judging from today's game against Denver, biggest improvement looks to be the O-Line followed by the receivers who are catching anything thrown at them. Gus Frerotte had a pretty decent game, let's hope he keeps it up. D was tremendous. Go Fins!

The Gabba Goul

Elite Member
Yesterday was certianly encouraging...lets hope they can build up some momentum...(at least enough to keep the season interesting)

TheSaint

Oh well, another game down the tubes. [V] This has always bothered me about the Dolphins. Play well one week. Look like a bunch of HS players the next. Perhaps the rest of the season might depend on Ricky Williams playing well. He is eligible to play for the rest of the season now (suspended for first 4 games for marijuana use). With both Rick and Ron in the backfield, there may be some hope.

The Gabba Goul

Elite Member
yeah...I cant wait to see Ricky back in action next week...lets just hope he's still got it...

JBZ

It's a shame they couldn't have won this weekend. It would have been great to finish the first quarter of the season at 3-1 and then get the boost of having Ricky back. However, I think the AFC East is up for grabs, especially given the Pats' defensive woes and the Jets' quarterback issues. Even if the 'Phins fall short of the playoffs, if Saban can guide this team to a 9-7 record, that will be a vast improvement and a good "stepping stone" season.

In the long run, they still need a quarterback.

SeaPlusPlus

Starting Member
JBZ:
quote:It's a shame they couldn't have won this weekend. It would have been great to finish the first quarter of the season at 3-1 and then get the boost of having Ricky back. However, I think the AFC East is up for grabs, especially given the Pats' defensive woes and the Jets' quarterback issues. Even if the 'Phins fall short of the playoffs, if Saban can guide this team to a 9-7 record, that will be a vast improvement and a good "stepping stone" season.

In the long run, they still need a quarterback.

Yeah... right... AFC East is up for grabs... Phins have the Pats right where they want them.. first place... Complacency and the wearing of too many rings should slow the Pats down... ;)

You realize the Phins problems stem from two problems. One... the teams color coordination needs work and two... quarterback selection should be (as all hurricanes are) in alphabetical order. If these suggestions are followed Miami will go deep into the playoffs... but... if they don't then there's nothing else I can do for them. [:I]

Rich

Do the clothes suit you?
Do the clothes suit the occasion?
Do the clothes suit each other?

TheSaint

Another one down the toilet....[B)] I knew the game was lost when Frerotte over threw the tight end and he was wide open....The guy looked scared out there.....Play Rosenfels!!

The Gabba Goul

Elite Member
Patrick...I think you hit the nail right on the head, the AFC East sure isnt what it was about 3 years ago...I didnt see the game (working)...but from what I hear it was amature night...I must go back to my original question...how many "rebilding years" is this team going to need??? I guess this is shaping up to be a weird season though...case in point besides Indy, Denver is basically top dog in the AFC, and the Dallas F'n Cowboys are leading the NFC???WTF??? I dont think they'll win it all...but I'd be willing to bet that the Lombardi trophy will find it's home somewhere within in the NFC come this January...but the real problem, as I see it, with Miami is that we have an overall good team (yeah, a better QB would be nice but you cant have it all), but there's no kind of cohesion...I mean look at the Pats...the secret to their success was not that they were so much better than any other team, but they played as a team better than any of them...aaah well...where's coach Shula when you need him???

and FWIW...I always liked Miami's colors, they're distinctive...the orange jersey expiriment last year was a bit...ummmm...not so good...but overall, deffinately not the worst uniform in the league (Minnesota?)

TheSaint

Well Gentlemen,

There is always next year.
They looked like a Pee Wee football team today.

Colts getting closer to Dolphin undefeated record.

The Gabba Goul

Elite Member
quote:Originally posted by TheSaint

Colts getting closer to Dolphin undefeated record.

Yeah...this year may be the year...but in defense of my 'phins...and their legacy...could the Colts have had an easier schedule? aaah well...even if they go undefeated this season...I seriously doubt they'll be able to go all the way (at least I hope not [}:)])...

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
Worst uniform goes to any team that wears all dark green (Seattle, Jets) or all black or all whatever.

Miami was awful today. And they were showing some signs of life, too.

TheSaint

Wow....What a fourth quarter comeback with Sage
Any of you see this game? Incredible!!

Lee Evans caught three touchdown passes to put the Bills ahead 21-0 less than 13 minutes into the game, and they led 23-3 with 12 minutes left. But struggling Miami quarterback Gus Frerotte was forced to the bench with a concussion in the third quarter, and replacement Sage Rosenfels directed fourth-quarter touchdown drives of 70, 49 and 73 yards.

The final march started with 1:51 left and Miami trailing 23-17. A catch by Chambers gave the Dolphins a first down at the 1 with 50 seconds remaining, but two incomplete passes, a penalty and a scramble by Rosenfels left them with fourth down.

Rosenfels looked once more to Chambers, who won a duel for the lobbed pass even though Greer was flagged for interference. Chambers set Miami records for catches and receiving yards with 238.

The Gabba Goul

Elite Member
I saw the highlights...What a finish!!! After seeing that, for the first time this season...I got excited about football...too bad that the season is too far gone...all it takes is one play like that to get a team fired up...

JBZ

Great win for the 'Phins. They still won't make the playoffs, and they still need a quarterback. However, if they can finish the season 8-8 or 7-9, it's a step in the right direction. I hope they finish strong down the stretch, add some pieces in the off-season, and perhaps contend next year. When your football team stinks and you're not into basketball or hockey, it's a LONG wait between baseball seasons.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange