Done with Ralph

shuman

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Yes, its true. I've been in his corner for many years. Used to be that I could count on Ralph for the fit I liked time and time again. Visited my Dillards store to check out some great sales. Extra 40% off of already reduced clearance items.

Tried on a beatiful dress shirt in my size, white French cuff, cutaway collar, but was left with visions of Thom Browne. Waaay to tight across the chest, etc. At least he offers both Custom and Classic fit (too much Custom for my liking, but i'm sure others buy it.) So many times in recent years, his sizes seemed longer rather than broader as sizes went larger.

They did have a nice white BD POPOVER with flap pocket. No logo. Every size except mine.

Besides all this question of fit, Ralph must have gone senile in his old age. Some of the seasonal stuff for spring is odd. Paisley shorts for one. Maybe I'm too Trad for Ralph? Guess I just miss RL from the 80's. Ho hum....

From now on it will be only Bills Khakis, Mercer OCBD, etc. Am I alone? Rant is over. Thanks for listening.

Untilted

Honors Member
Shuman, can you get me the RL popover with flag pocket in small? How much does that cost? Custom or Classic Fit?? I can mail you a money order for the shirt and shipping. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

3button Max

ralph

barring a couple of swell ,thrifted ralph checked button downs-Ralph is not Ralph of the 80s-(he may well have in his own way revitalized the prep or dandy subset of trad) my wife likes the polo short sleeve sportshirts and I have junked her some ocbd.
fabric on RL ties not what it was 20 years ago-
RL can and does produce some nice things but not my dish-why spend that when you can avail yourself of O'Connells or Mercers or Bills-I'll throw in Press and Brooks -the Bros if you want one of the 4 possible trad items they may be offering.

why I* should prefer an ancient Izod in navy , or white to Ralph, I dont know. the pony just seems gauche in a way the old gator doesnt. the answer may be nostalgia and I am old enough to have caught a bit of the zeitgeist.
My brother born 6 years later would have no problem w/RL. probably a middle age rant

max

ROI

With a little work, you can find better, trad-er versions of everything Ralph does. He didn't invent the genre, he copied it, occasionally rescued an item from oblivion and updated it, but mostly cheapened and hyped the things we love. You will find peace if you foreswear Ralph and hew to the likes of Mercer, Bills, Alden, Southwick, and their ilk.

Tom Buchanan

Beware the Ralph pullover oxford with flap pocket. If it is like the ones I have seen, under the placket has a big pleat down the remainder of the front, which defeats the purpose of a pullover if you ask me.

tsweetland

I still think Ralph can be counted on for quality, inexpensive ocbds at places like Marshall's and T.J. Maxx. As a matter of fact, I'm wearing a pink one right now. Come to think of it, I am also wearing a Polo club tie, also purchased at T.J. Maxx for $12.

Also, I find the cut and fit of Ralph's polo shirts to be perfect for me.

shuman

Beware the Ralph pullover oxford with flap pocket. If it is like the ones I have seen, under the placket has a big pleat down the remainder of the front, which defeats the purpose of a pullover if you ask me.

Ooops. Must have missed that part.

shuman

With a little work, you can find better, trad-er versions of everything Ralph does. You will find peace if you foreswear Ralph and hew to the likes of Mercer, Bills, Alden, Southwick, and their ilk.

Exactly my revalation! I dont mean to Ralph bash, as I've been a huge fan for years. Maybe these boards are changing me!?!

Benjamin E.

Am I alone?

Absolutely not. I was horrified to see while I was shopping for Purple Label online that they didn't have a 46R for one suit. I was also disgusted to see that they had gone over to the "European" style of cutting suits and everything. I am a portly 46R and I abhor the current trend of wearing clothes tight enough to show everyone where you got stitches when you shoved your arm through a screen door. It's disappointing to see that society has sacrificed comfort and practicality for "style".

egadfly

Absolutely not. I was horrified to see while I was shopping for Purple Label online that they didn't have a 46R for one suit. I was also disgusted to see that they had gone over to the "European" style of cutting suits and everything. I am a portly 46R and I abhor the current trend of wearing clothes tight enough to show everyone where you got stitches when you shoved your arm through a screen door. It's disappointing to see that society has sacrificed comfort and practicality for "style".

Hear, hear. Tight clothes are an abomination: they are uncomfortable, unflattering, and unserious.

Allow me to be among the first to welcome you to the Trad Forum, Benjamin. I think you'll find we're a sympathetic bunch -- at least as far as fashion is concerned.

-- Egadfly

vintage68

I gave up on RL about 10 years ago. His "take" on traditional just started to seem silly to me, not to mention the outrageous prices.

Excellent marketing of course, but today we have MUCH better alternatives when we look for quality: Bill's, Mercer, etc.

MrRogers

The RLPL cut is actually very flattering, however, not everyone has the body type to carry it off. I think that today's society certainly puts comfort before style judged by the average american who wears most of his suits 1 or 2 sizes too large. RLPL garments, in the correct size, have an excellent drape and cut. I wear a 42 and sometimes a 44 yet RLPL 46's fit me perfectly. If you are a "portly 46" as you put it, pl may just not be the garment for you.

MrR

MrRogers

Hear, hear. Tight clothes are an abomination: they are uncomfortable, unflattering, and unserious.

Allow me to be among the first to welcome you to the Trad Forum, Benjamin. I think you'll find we're a sympathetic bunch -- at least as far as fashion is concerned.

-- Egadfly

By "tight clothes" I assume you are referring to a slim cut. As I stated above, slim fit clothing may not fit everyones body type, however, a blanket statement such as yours is not accurate either. Many of us put on a BB golden fleece shirt and have an extra 12-14 inches in the waist. To me, a bloused out shirt with enough room to fit another person is an abomination.

MrR

MrRogers

With a little work, you can find better, trad-er versions of everything Ralph does. He didn't invent the genre, he copied it, occasionally rescued an item from oblivion and updated it, but mostly cheapened and hyped the things we love. You will find peace if you foreswear Ralph and hew to the likes of Mercer, Bills, Alden, Southwick, and their ilk.

Ok so obviously i'm a huge RL fan. To me, RL is an innovator like noone else. I have to challenge anyone to find alternative versions of Ralph's work that are not vintage pieces. Excluding Chaps or other dept store versions of RL; Blue, Black and Purple label garments exhibit excellent quality. RL introduces new and interesting items each season; a comparison to Bills or Mercer is simply unfounded and made on misinformation.

Mrr

egadfly

By "tight clothes" I assume you are referring to a slim cut. As I stated above, slim fit clothing may not fit everyones body type, however, a blanket statement such as yours is not accurate either. Many of us put on a BB golden fleece shirt and have an extra 12-14 inches in the waist. To me, a bloused out shirt with enough room to fit another person is an abomination.

MrR

No, by "tight clothes" I meant "tight clothes."

Slim-fit clothes that fit properly are one thing; pants that announce one's preference in undergarments are another.

EGF

shuman

My own view: If an XXL fits like a 46L, more than a 50-52R, then there is something wrong. So goes my experiences with Ralphs new sizing strategy.

Dont get me wrong, I love Polo RL and always have, but since things are so hit and miss with sizing issues, and since mostly my purchases have become basic khakis and buttondowns and sweaters, I am going elsewhere. It brings a tear to my eye, but so long. Gotta retrain my brain.

Benjamin E.

No, by "tight clothes" I meant "tight clothes."

Slim-fit clothes that fit properly are one thing; pants that announce one's preference in undergarments are another.

EGF

That's another point. I have no issue with slim fits if they have some sort of drape to them. My beef is with designers that are taking it too far (i.e. Thom Browne), by which I mean having pants that are tight enough that they are practically skintight and with coats that leave no room to breath or move. The only acceptable non-slim fit item of clothing that should be tapered or cinched at the waist is a frock coat or possibly a swallowtail coat, but don't quote me on that.

Also, thank you for your welcome, Egadfly. I appreciate it.

gordgekko

To me, RL is an innovator like noone else. I have to challenge anyone to find alternative versions of Ralph's work that are not vintage pieces.

Perhaps I am parsing those two sentences incorrectly, but how can Lauren be an innovator if the pieces in question have already been created?

I don't have a beef with Lauren, I occasionally buy some of his higher end work, but to call him an innovator is a little much. He's fashioned an extraordinarily successful business by tweaking looks from the past and selling them as a homogenized modern American prep. I don't hold it against him but I don't celebrate him either.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.