Don't know how to post pictures? Quick, look here!

Mr. Golem

I've talked to Andy about making this a sticky and he agrees. Because some new members or even members who have been here a bit, have questions about his whole process. I thought it would be useful to have this up to avoid people making extra threads. Onward.

So you just bought a 14 micron Kiton sport coat for a rediculously cheap price at your local Neiman's and while on the way to your car you find a John Lobb shoe box. You are a kind soul and promptly return the box to the store and upon hearing the news the manager finds the buyer of the shoes and the buyer offers to get you a pair of JL in your size!

You practically run home in a fit of giddiness and excitement that rivals a ten year old. You can't wait to share your find and your unbelievable luck with all the sartorial forumites. You pose in your new perfectly fitting sport coat and your new pair of shoes as your significant other takes pictures of you. After storing your 'treasure' in the walk in closet that is bigger than your kid's room your connect the camera to the computer and the beautiful garment makes it's way up the wire, byte by byte, onto the disk.

As you type out the words in your post you realise that you have no clue how to put pictures in your posts! But luckily you look up at the stickied threads and a guide just for that purpose is right there.

1. The first thing you need to make sure is to have your pictures uploaded to your computer and know the directory they are in. Just be able to find the folder that they are in.

2. Now you are going to need a host, here are some: imageshack.us; photobucket.com; tinypic.com; www.paintedover.com. When you get to these sites you will usually see a button that says "Choose" or "Find picture" and another button that says "Upload" or "Host it". Do just that, choose your picture and click upload. You will be given a bunch of ways to display your picture. I like to just find the direct link or imageshack for instance will have a bunch of options for thumbnails and such.

3. Now if you just took the url for the direct image go to your thread and type
. Then submit your thread/post and badabing badaboom you're done.

Another note: So you found a picture through google search that you want to show everyone, but you also want to show off your newly acquired picture posting skills.

Here is what you don't do: do not right click on the picture, find it's url and stick it in between
. When you do that, you're leeching the bandwidth off whoever hosted that image originally. This may end up costing the other person money, or it may not, but in any case don't do it.

Here is what you do do: why that's a marvelous picture of Fred Astaire that you found, go to imageshack for instance and it will have an option to switch between "computer" to "url" right next to the upload bar thingy. Upload the url and post.

Now show me the Kiton!

Last edited:

LaoHu

Thank you. A very helpful post. I'd wondered how to do pictures properly. This will certainly help to make AAAC better.

Roger

What about Posting Other Small Documents?

Mr. Golem, could you tell me how to post a small document I've created for the forum. I have it in both Word and PDF form. I'd like to post the entire document, rather than a link to be clicked on, although the latter would be OK if that's the only way it can be done. I've found that my website information seems to come with the document (albeit very briefly) when I gave a link to the PDF file. How can I get this document onto the forum without any breach of security to my website?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mr. Golem

Mr. Golem, could you tell me how to post a small document I've created for the forum. I have it in both Word and PDF form. I'd like to post the entire document, rather than a link to be clicked on, although the latter would be OK if that's the only way it can be done. I've found that my website information seems to come with the document (albeit very briefly) when I gave a link to the PDF file. How can I get this document onto the forum without any breach of security to my website?

Any help would be much appreciated.

PM sent.

I get really sick of imageshack's pop-up ads. I much prefer photobucket in general.

Don't use internet explorer, switch to Opera or Firefox. Won't have to see another unwanted popup ever again.

donk93953

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
???????HUH???????

Sorry to be so dense, but I'm a MAC boy using "Safari" and none of this makes any sense to me.
What is a directory? A host? A url ? "Do just that"...in reference to what....?
Might someone give me a 1 ,2, 3 for a non techie..
Thank you in advance.

Mr. Golem

Sorry to be so dense, but I'm a MAC boy using "Safari" and none of this makes any sense to me.
Thank you in advance.

Honestly I have never used a mac, maybe someone on the forums here is a mac user and can help you out.

In any case, it shouldn't be too much different, even in safari.

A directory is the folder in which the picture is in(where you store the pictures that are on your computer).

A host is a website that will host the image for you on the internet like the ones I linked above(imageshack, paintedover, etc)

A url is the address you type in your browser to get to a website(for this one, you typed in www.askandyaboutclothes.com, that's a url)

Hope that helps.

donk93953

Thank you for your response...Hopefully their is a MAC user who can give me 1, 2, 3 step by step guidance ....

Bob Loblaw

Another method (works if you see a picture that you like on the internet)

copy the url of the image.
paste the url of the image in the forum.
Add https://www.imgred.com/ before the image.
Surround that with
tags.

Example:

I want to link to this picture of my sartorial hero, Lou Grant:
https://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1062/1489-0010.jpg
But I know that imdb would not not be happy with me using their bandwidth. I add https://www.imgred.com/ before the image to create Next I add the
to the end of the link to create:

jazzy1

Same with MAC

Thank you in advance.

If you are surfing the web using Safari you still go to one of the sites that was mentioned earlier such as photobucket.com. You will need to create an account. The process is exactly the same if you are using a PC or a MAC. I also use a MAC and its the same.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.