poetman

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Title says it all. The skinny trend is destroying the world. I cannot find basic cotton white & blue spread collar dress shirts with collars that measure at least 3” from tip to seam, and measure 5.25” from point to point, for under $50. Can anyone suggest retailers for me please? I don’t want to spend $80 on a single one, and I don’t want to some elastic, stretch-band-infused shirt either—just solid, plain weave, and 100% cotton. Any suggestions? Thank you!

EclecticSr.

My friend I feel your pain. The current trend is to continually reduce collar size until there is no longer a collar. One of my favorite off the rack shirts in tattersall have also gone diminishing, incrementally smaller as if one wouldn't notice.. My criteria is band at 2" , a leaf at 3 1/2" and spread at 6 1/2", once readily available from a well known British firm above, who have since succumbed.

However at the price point you suggest, I have no answer. I thankfully have no further need .
I do have a few S&P shirts , they are adequate, but still fall below my criteria, and only at my lower end
as an off the rack product.

My only advise is to bite the bullet and go MTM. Specify your parameters and search for best value. Your demand is well below mine. I'm sure there are some still out there,

One shirt at twice your price point may well be worth it as opposed to 2 you will regret wasting your money on.
Just my $ 0.02.

This sartorial game comes with a price. Hope I haven't discouraged you and I'm sure you'll see the wisdom in time.

Rather lengthy and mean no offence to those with differing opinions.

delicious_scent

My friend I feel your pain. The current trend is to continually reduce collar size until there is no longer a collar. One of my favorite off the rack shirts in tattersall have also gone diminishing, incrementally smaller as if one wouldn't notice.. My criteria is band at 2" , a leaf at 3 1/2" and spread at 6 1/2", once readily available from a well known British firm above, who have since succumbed.

However at the price point you suggest, I have no answer. I thankfully have no further need .
I do have a few S&P shirts , they are adequate, but still fall below my criteria, and only at my lower end

My only advise is to bite the bullet and go MTM. Specify your parameters and search for best value. Your demand is well below mine. I'm sure there are some still out there,

One shirt at twice your price point may well be worth it as opposed to 2 you will regret wasting your money on.
Just my $ 0.02.

This sartorial game comes with a price. Hope I haven't discouraged you and I'm sure you'll see the wisdom in time.

S&M do offer MTM, and can quite literally make a collar to your custom specs, the price is reasonable too.

They've even increased the depth of my cuffs, adjusted for asymmetrical sleeve lengths, made me cocktail cuffs, and had different cuff widths to accomodate my watch.

The downside is quality control and minimal fabric selection. If your body type is hard to fit and more complex factors are introduced (see first couple paragraphs), the more likely it is for your shirt to turn out bad and requiring corrections, which has been my issue.

The other issue is time. They claim 4-6 weeks for delivery, but it takes about 8 minimum IMO.

I've been satisfied so far with Proper Cloth and Ratio, even if they're not as customizable as S&M and a bit more expensive. PC somehow gets a shirt from Vietnam to Regina within 2 weeks of me placing the order, which is crazy in this pandemic. Very good fabric selection, user interface, and great stock options.

poetman

Just my $ 0.02.

I understand your logic, but, the truth is, what I am looking for used to be readily available—I bought 3 100% cotton Michael Kors shirts to the above specs. for around $25 a piece! Then, the Mrs. mistakenly dried them & the sleeves shrunk! Now, trying to replace them is a circus! To make matters worse, MK still makes the shirts, but, you guessed it, with a .75” shorter collar!

winghus

I've heard that S & M ran on the slim side. Can anyone confirm or deny that?
Yes, they do, even in the contemporary fit stuff. But, they have actual measurements for everything they sell available on the website so if you know your own you can compare.

Don't forget their Boxing Day sale every year. I think I got three custom shirts for around $39USD each a couple of years ago.

poetman

Yes, they do, even in the contemporary fit stuff. But, they have actual measurements for everything they sell available on the website so if you know your own you can compare.

Don't forget their Boxing Day sale every year. I think I got three custom shirts for around $39USD each a couple of years ago.
Any idea around When that falls?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange