Country Irish

I have been grabbing bargains for fall and wither clothes and today received a new pair of cotton + 12% polyester corduroy pants. Just right for a chilly fall day. However to my surprise I looked at the label and it says dry clean only.
Have I missed something or shouldn't corduroy be a rough and tumble casual cloth?
Has anyone ever heard of a need to dry clean corduroy and why would it be important?

It is Canali if that makes any difference.

The Rambler

Honors Member
some say it on the label, some do not: corduroy isn't all that rough and tumble. it will last longer if you dryclean it, but is it really worth it? i suggest wash in cool water, dry on low, turned inside out.

Tomasso

Advanced Member
I have two types of cords. The unlined and uncuffed (no interlining at all...basically built like jeans) are laundered at home. The lined and cuffed (built like tailored dress pants) are sent out for dry cleaning. I once made the mistake of laundering the latter and the interlining in the waist shrank and puckered and the cuffs looked like crap.

aluminiumfish

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
water swells the cut fibres and they sit less regimentally ...as they did when new.
So washed cords always look washed out and drycleaning preserves that smooth even resting of the fibres.
Cords can shrink as well in wash ...not so in drycleaning.

Country Irish

The most interesting part is that I have never had a pair of cords that had a problem with the washing machine. I never looked at the label but assume I either lucked out or the dry cleaning instruction is just a cya measure. Now I have to decide if I should roll the dice with these or actually do what the label says.

SergeS

An old thread, but wondered if I can shrink the waist on my corduroys an inch by soaking it in hot water? I don't want the inseam to reduce much but it will still be OK if it does gets about 3/4" shorter. I actually would not mind it shrinking all over, but don't want to lose the attractive finish of these rather expensive pants. Alternatively I could get the size that fits me perfectly or have these altered to fit me. All the choices are open and would appreciate some advice on how to deal with them.

SergeS

OK. Thanks. Point taken.
Since I am between sizes, is it usually better to take a waist in or out? I could exchange these for a size smaller and there is 2" of cloth available for alterations.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals