HarvesterUT

Starting Member
I was digging around my local Last Call and Dillards looking for a navy 2-button Hickey Freeman on discount. Most reviews are very positive about HF, so my search began there. Last Call had a wide assortment of HF, but no real interesting navy suits. Also, my Last Call has many suits that are downright ripped, frayed, or stained.

I went over to Dillards, which was having 60% off on many suits, and found a very nice 2-button HF (fall 2007) navy with subdued large check pattern (some call windowpane?) using 130s Loro Piana. Size was a 38R with 32W. The pants were double pleat, a slight negative for me. The problem with this suit was that the jacket was a smidge too tight, and the sleeves about 1/2" too short.

I also saw a very nice Daniel Cremieux (signature collection 2008) 3-button navy with slightly subdued double pinstripe using 160s Loro Piana for the same price as the HF ($518). Jacket size was 39R and fit very well. Pants were single pleat, not an issue for me.

I was not really looking for a 3 button, as my black suit is 3 button, but I do like the style as much as the 2 button look. The salesman commented that younger men almost never buy 3 button suits, and that I was a rarity. Haha.

Anyways, after weighing the need to alter the HF and the fact that the DC suit looks, feels, and fits better, I chose the Daniel Cremieux. Can't wait to pick it up after having the pants finished! Maybe I'll get around to posting a photo or two.

Any other Cremieux owners? Anything good or bad about the suits?

Edit: as a side, the salesman told me Daniel Cremieux visited that Dillards once when he was rolling out some new items. He expected Cremieux to be a stuck up Frenchie, as he was, well, French. However, DC was apparently very relaxed and nice with everyone.

Last edited:

windsor

HF has the reputation for fine suits,but they have different lines and at Dillards I would not expect anything but the lowest priced. I have always thought of DC as a "house" label for Dillards. My guess is that most forum responders would have given the thumbs up sign for the HF. I could be wrong though.

HarvesterUT

Starting Member
Dillards carries HF and HF Ltd. I know the HF Ltd line is their lower end stuff, as they use lower quality materials and are either fused or half-canvassed. The retail prices on the Ltd suits was somewhere around 600-700 whereas the regular HF was $1300.

I thought Daniel Cremieux was a house brand as well, and it's possible the company mainly sells through Dillards, but they do have a stand-alone website, which is rare for a house brand. I could very well be wrong.

caktaylor

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
HF has the reputation for fine suits,but they have different lines and at Dillards I would not expect anything but the lowest priced. I have always thought of DC as a "house" label for Dillards. My guess is that most forum responders would have given the thumbs up sign for the HF. I could be wrong though.
As HarvesterUT notes, Dillard's carries both the Ltd and the mainline H-F, including the venerable Madison line. I have purchased both from Dillard's. (Side note: The purchases were during a "take 40 percent more off the already low clearance price" sale. Unbelievably inexpensive.) I was very satisfied with my purchases.

While shopping for suits during the last such sale, I also happened to see a 3-button DC suit in my size among the clearance items. It was VERY tempting, mainly due to the feel of the fabric. But, in the end, I opted for a clearance Madison over the DC for three reasons:

(a) The most important reason is that the H-F Madison is generally known to be a quality garment, whereas no one seems to know much about DC, other than it is sold exclusively by Dillard's in the US. It is my understanding that DC is not a Dillard's house brand, but rather Dillard's has a long term exclusivity agreement for US distribution.

(b) The suits were the same price. Maybe if the DC were less expensive than the Madison, I would have been more tempted, but for the same price, it's got to be the Madison. Refer to (a).

(c) The DC was a 3 button suit, and I wanted of steer clear of those. It's not that I don't like 3 button suits; I own a few. But, I generally get 2 button suits. Perhaps were it not for (a) and (b), this would have not impacted my decision.

In the OP's case, I think he made the right choice. It all comes down to fit. I've read many times on this forum, a well-fitting, inexpensive suit is much better than an expensive, ill-fitting suit.

So, congratulations on your purchase. Wear your DC with pride.

phyrpowr

Honors Member
Been quite a few years, but I had a DC, in a sort of crepe type fabric. Wish I had better info on what it was, as it got shiny too early. Probably the result of too frequent dry cleanings (I stained it a couple of times, plus at the time I dry cleaned too often) and being pressed too hot.

As to wearing comfort, it was great. Beautiful drape, and nothing bagged, sagged or puckered in a couple years wear. Probably wore it a little less than once a week

PS Get a Dillard's charge card. They have Red Tag + Manager's Day + plus newspaper coupons + cardholder discounts that they stack

Last edited:

HarvesterUT

Starting Member
shorty said:
Are the Cremieux suits fused, half-canvassed, or full canvassed? I'm guessing half
Def not fused. I tried rolling and pulling the chest and lapel, seems at least half, could be full, I'll have to dig a bit more.

As to wearing comfort, it was great. Beautiful drape, and nothing bagged, sagged or puckered in a couple years wear. Probably wore it a little less than once a week

PS Get a Dillard's charge card. They have Red Tag + Manager's Day + plus newspaper coupons + cardholder discounts that they stack
The suit did wear very well when I tried it on. Nothing worse or better than the HF, except the jacket fit.

I will keep that Dillard's charge card in mind next time I buy a suit, if I go back to Dillard's. I assume you use the card for extra X% discount and then just pay off the card balance in full?

phyrpowr

Honors Member
Harvester,

yes, definitely pay it off in a month or two, as it has the usual killer storecard interest rates. Haven't used one in a long time, but I recall the discount is worth it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.