Dhaller

Elite Member
There was an amazing deal on eggplant at the farmer's market yesterday, so I bought a LOT. Various kinds of eggplants, not just the usual aubergine.

I plan on making caponata - I have a family recipe (hurray for Sicilian relatives) - which I'll serve with ciabatta. I'll probably make an eggplant lasagna, and maybe a moussaka also. Maybe ratatouille (though that's pretty caponata-ish.)

But this is like 10+ lbs of eggplant.

Any interesting ideas?

DH

TKI67

Elite Member
I LOVE caponata. Two other eggplant things I love to make are lasagne substituting eggplant sliced thin lengthwise for the noodles and one I call eggplant puttanesca. The latter is better made by grilling the eggplant but skillet or griddle will suffice. Dice an onion and heat it in lots of EVOO until translucent. Brush half inch slices of eggplant with the onion infused oil and grill them. Into the pan that still has oily, translucent onions, toss a couple of diced fresh tomatoes, some kalamata olives, capers, some peperoncino (red pepper flakes), a splash of white wine, and, if you like (I do) smash a few anchovy fillets into the mix. Cook only until hot. Ladle the puttanesca over the eggplant. Grate Pecorino Romano on top and serve. You can dot the layers with mozzarella or sharp provolone or a mixture, but if you are an eggplant junkie, it's not needed. To me this dish beats eggplant Parm, and given how much I love eggplant Parm, that says a lot.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.